The Gear Thread

That's what I like about BOSS distortion line, they're just like Lego: color coded bricks that you can turn in anything you want.

I sort of wanted to learn how to do it myself, I think it would be fun. Well I actually thought I might want to be able to mod my own amps, so I figured I'd start with pedals, as I assumed they are easier. But I've never been any good at "hands on" type stuff. My handwriting is a mess, I'm a very poor sewer, and I ended up getting stitches in 8th grade for accidentally cutting myself with an knife in art class. Oh, and I left an unplugged, still hot, soldering gun on top of a Roland MicroCube.... you can figure out what happened with that one :lol:.

I did change the headlights in my car by myself though.... so maybe there is hope?

What year is that? Looks like early 80's?

2001, it's a '68 reissue, with some upgrades.

Ah, did it come with the Grovers? What kinda pickups did you put in it? Necks are really fast on those aren't they?

You caught me, I have a soft spot for customs.

To be honest, I don't know much about the original specs, I bought it in 2009, and the guy I got it from was not the original owner. I do believe the Grovers are original, this graphic, which I just found seems to confirm that, and appears to accurate about the rest of the original specs, but it's not official so I don't know:

guYzV.jpg

Here's what I've been able to find on the net about them:

Different from these there were the Authentic '68 versions, which were only offered in black (I think) with aged metal parts. These also date back to 1999/2000 IIRC and were made at least until 2005/6. They were featured in Gibson ads and catalogs and are now discontinued. Most or all of these had Burstbucker pickups.

These are not weight releived. The ones I have seen have pretty beefy necks, similar to the early '50s profile. The few I have seen do not have the new CTS pots and BB caps, they still were using the "Gibson" embossed pots and ceramic disc caps. While not exactly '68 specs, they are an excellent guitar with vintage appointments (neck tenion, ABR-1 bridge).

The previous owner of mine put an RS Guitarworks wiring harness in it, and some handwound PAF replicas. Don't know what happened to the original Burstbuckers, or '57 classics depending on your source. The PAF replicas were screeching at high volumes/mid gain for me, my local tech couldn't figure it out, he sent them to Lindy Fralin.... Fralin couldn't get it either. So I got a set of WB pick ups, long story short: 1 guy making boutique hand wound pick ups, closed up shop and fucked a lot of people over. I have a Habanero in the bridge, decently hot but not like the ceramic pick ups, and a Peter Green in the neck, luscious and smooth. Both have NOS 1967 wire.

Even with the same model, some guitars have differences (for whatever reason), as you can see in this video, this 1999 68RI clearly has gold hardware:

Edited by OmarBradley

I really liked your demo of the 2204 with the "stock" tubes (Winged C EL34's, and 2 Electro Harmonix 12AX7's and a JJ ECC83), sounds just like a JCM 800 should sound!

Maybe the difference to the other clip was the Boss OD-2 pedal, I think the tone was less organic with the pedal engaged.

I really liked your demo of the 2204 with the "stock" tubes (Winged C EL34's, and 2 Electro Harmonix 12AX7's and a JJ ECC83), sounds just like a JCM 800 should sound!

Maybe the difference to the other clip was the Boss OD-2 pedal, I think the tone was less organic with the pedal engaged.

Ah, no those were the new tubes I put in. Glad you liked them :) . I like them better too. And on that clip, I did use the OD2, the one with the Sovteks was just the EQ. Tbh though, I've found that the EQ and the OD2 actually do pretty similar things, and even though I was running both of them for most of the Winged C clip, it wasn't hugely significant sonically, but it mattered enough that I liked it. The OD2 sort of just pushes it over the edge.

I want a 1968Ri in triburst

Careful, those are the Guitar Center models! Not bad guitars, but not the same was the non-GC ones.

Ah, no those were the new tubes I put in. Glad you liked them :) . I like them better too. And on that clip, I did use the OD2, the one with the Sovteks was just the EQ. Tbh though, I've found that the EQ and the OD2 actually do pretty similar things, and even though I was running both of them for most of the Winged C clip, it wasn't hugely significant sonically, but it mattered enough that I liked it. The OD2 sort of just pushes it over the edge.

I want a 1968Ri in triburst

Careful, those are the Guitar Center models! Not bad guitars, but not the same was the non-GC ones.

I don't care, they're still Custom Shop and that finish is just... my god its amazing!

Although I think my "holy grail" is an R8

Edited by ZoSoRose

I'd love to get a custom if they didn't want like 6 grand for them (retail). I could literally buy a car and drive to pick up a used one for less. The Custom Lites were a nice idea, but PearlOID inlays on a guitar that expensive? Fuck off. Any guitar maker using fake pearl on a 1000+ guitar is just being cheap.

• Like 1

I'd love to get a custom if they didn't want like 6 grand for them (retail). I could literally buy a car and drive to pick up a used one for less. The Custom Lites were a nice idea, but PearlOID inlays on a guitar that expensive? Fuck off. Any guitar maker using fake pearl on a 1000+ guitar is just being cheap.

Yeah, when I one day buy my Custom Shop Historic it will be used

And the Custom lits are really cool, I almost bought one instead of mine. Glad I opted for the Sinature T, instead. I agree the inlays should be real pearl thinga

Edited by ZoSoRose

• 2 weeks later...

I have an opportunity to get an Epiphone Slash Appetite for Destruction Les Paul at a really good price. It is super cheap because it had the typical Gibson headstock break (looks like a great repair job), and the case and papers are missing.

I do kind of want a backup guitar since my Stratocaster is still out of commission... and well, I love Slash

Any thoughts?

Its not there anymore, how much was that one for?

The one I'm looking at is on ebay. The listing ended but the seller and I are in talks.

I'm seeing the Epiphone AFD LP go for $200, which comes with a small amp and a case etc.. Can you give the link to the eBay auction, should still be able to do it even though it's ended.

Ohhhhh that's the piece of shit Epiphone starter pack. They just came out with a AfD Special II. That's a terrible guitar (I'd have loved that starting out!)

This is the $1000 Epi "Custom Shop" one from a few years back. It ain't a Gibson but it was a really nice Epi. I've always loved the AfD and it'd make a great #2 to my Gibson.

I'm on my work computer and can't copy and past on the forum for some reason but I cant copy and paste here so I'll link later.

They wen't for $1000 new, and tend to go for $600- $800 now. This guy started his auction at $375 and considering the repair and lack of case/paperwork isn't a terrible deal. I'm trying to get it for $300. I don't care about cosmetic issues, and if it was repaired well it should be fine

Cool, I don't know much about those. Sounds like a good price. You're talking about the Tobacco Sunburst one?

Here is the listing

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Slash-Epiphone-Gibson-Les-Paul-AFD-Guitar-Great-Player-Guitar-/131391186977?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2047675.l2557&nma=true&si=ogz8dmsHKf84QNofcWhqxGON0vQ%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc

Im getting anxious, he hasnt responded since Monday

Ordered a kit to mod my GE7 a few weeks ago to take care of the noise problem. Went to a lab tonight to do the mod..... took 3 hours of desoldering, soldering, and deciphering the instruction manual. I was not confident in my technical abilities, so I figured I'd screwed up something at some point. I at least assumed the pedal would produce some hideous noise or something, but....... nothing, got home, plugged it in, and it's completely dead. :lol:

No idea what went wrong, don't intend on troubleshooting. Instead, I said "fuck it" an ordered an Empress ParaEQ.

Oh man that sucks! At least Boss pedals are easy to replace!

Actual question- Why is an equalizer so important? Can't you get enough EQ variety with an amp and guitar?

I actually took a quick look at the PCB before going to bed last night.... might have found the problem, not sure.

I don't know much about the science behind the technology, but an amp's EQ and a pedal/rack EQ are two different things. In layman's terms, I'd say an amp's EQ shapes gradual (or major) changes in the amp's voicing. If you put an EQ pedal between the guitar and the amp, it shapes the signal (from the guitar) that goes into the amp, usually by equalizing it (obviously), but also by boosting the signal, which often creates more "gain" or "distortion" or general "loudness."

I've heard people compare EQ pedals to overdrive pedals, in terms of function, but not necessarily in terms of the technological process. With my current rig, the difference between the tone with the EQ pedal on vs. off, is very noticeable. I believe Slash used a GE7, or MXR 10-band, to boost/shape his signal too. I think it's a fairly common pedal to have. Most of them are graphic EQ's with sliders that increase or decrease the volume of certain frequencies/frequency ranges; the GE7 also has a general dB boost.

A parametric EQ works a bit differently, there are no sliders, just knobs for: "Lows, Mids, Highs." But it's often a bit more sophisticated than that, there will often be "Lows, Mids, High Mids, Mid Highs, Highs," maybe some toggle switches for lo-gain/hi-gain, or bright vs. dark, or depth vs. thump, etc.. I've wanted to try a parametric EQ for a while, and destroying my GE7 presented a nice opportunity. :lol:

• 2 weeks later...

ZoSoRose, what are your toughts on the Min-E Tune system of your Les Paul?

Ist it accurate or most of the times you need to fine tune it manually?

Does it changes quickly between tunnings?

I could use a guitar that could jump from tunnings live quickly, instead of switching guitars and tought about it.

Thanks for your toughts!

I could use a guitar that could jump from tunnings live quickly, instead of switching guitars and tought about it.

Thanks for your toughts!

I don't believe his LP has the Min-E Tune system.

I played a 2015 Standard with the Min-E Tune at GC, it didn't work......

As far as self-tuning guitars go, I know there's the LP Robot, and maybe another follow up that Gibson did. If you really use a lot of tunings, I'd recommend checking this out:

http://axcenttuning.com/

I think they used to be called Transperformance, they were the first ones to really do the self-tuning guitar thing - I believe their stuff started coming out in the early 2000's.

Found an article as early as 2005 on this product: http://www.gizmag.com/go/4951/

And a forum post from 2003! http://www.lespaulforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=58794

EDIT: Right, and there's also the Variax guitars, more info: http://line6.com/guitars/

Edited by OmarBradley

Thanks for your toughts!

I don't believe his LP has the Min-E Tune system.

I played a 2015 Standard with the Min-E Tune at GC, it didn't work......

As far as self-tuning guitars go, I know there's the LP Robot, and maybe another follow up that Gibson did. If you really use a lot of tunings, I'd recommend checking this out:

http://axcenttuning.com/

I think they used to be called Transperformance, they were the first ones to really do the self-tuning guitar thing - I believe their stuff started coming out in the early 2000's.

Found an article as early as 2005 on this product: http://www.gizmag.com/go/4951/

And a forum post from 2003! http://www.lespaulforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=58794

EDIT: Right, and there's also the Variax guitars, more info: http://line6.com/guitars/

My Lester actually does have Min Etune!

I opted to go with a 2013 Signature T WITH Min ETune.

Anyways, here is my take on it. The coolest thing about it? I hate to say it but people's reaction to it. Whenever I show it to someone their jaw drops and its pretty funny to see. Now, does it work? Yes and no.

The pros- Its fun to show off, it will get you to other tunings faster than by hand, its lightweight, its easy to learn and use, it can be easily replaced and stored, the battery's charge lasts a very long time

The cons- Its accuracy. Now, for this technology, that is a big con. It WILL get you to the tuning you want but it can sometimes take 2 or 3 tries. Once your tuning is close, that second and third try won't take more than a few seconds, but it is still annoying not knowing if your guitar will be completely in tune after using it.

Overall, I like it and its a fun tool. I have a gig next week and its true test will come then. However, I find it being very useful during band practice and if I decide I don't like it, I can change it out for normal tuners and store it in my guitar case. 2015 Gibsons have the upgraded "G Force" tuning system which is apparently the same thing with more accuracy.