Bridge School Benefit Show and Webcast Oct. 20, 2012

gmsugaree

There is really no excuse. All of the other bands came out and sounded great. Eddie wasn't even suppose to sing tonigt and he sounded great.

Exactly.

Excuse? Couldn't it be that he isn't better these days and that no amount of rehearsals and warm-ups could help? You all interpret this as if Axl somehow did things on purpose or did a bad job thought neglect, disregarding the fact that this may be the state of his voice nowadays. If so, it is nothing to excuse. It is sad, but nothing to excuse as if it could have been prevented.

If you sound that sorry and nothing in the world can fix it, there is only one thing left to do.

Yes, exactly, if you are having fun and people enjoy your shows, then there is only one thing to do: Keep doing it.

Axl seems to be having fun and reviews have been GREAT this year.

None of you fuckers are fans if u continuously bash Axl. Yes he struggled. Obvious. I didn't expect a power performance leading in Vegas. Better ain't an easy song to sing. He was missing a few ranges but he'll recover. Always does. Have faith fans. All u cynics. FUCK U. Thanks to GNR for being a part of this event. Not for money. For the kids. Just think how many paid that $5.

Yes because I'll tell you the only goo dthing that came from this as a GNR fan is that I gave $5 to charity. I don't care how bad this sounds. I live in the UK and it's 7.30am and I've been up drinking all night and the only thing that's holding me back from my sheer annoyment is that my money went to a worthy cause.

Fuck Axl. I'm tired of this.

Exactly. All of this attitude, that we shouldn't criticize, is just so wrong. What if he can do better but chooses not to? How does that help him and the band? It's like a sports team that makes lousy move after lousy move. Some would say the fans should just shut up and support the lousy moves I guess. That's not how it works though, because fans actually care and want to see progress.

very nice recovery from axl. pulled it all together pretty well

Yes he did!

That was awful. If he doesn't care anymore, he should just quit. Shame because 2010 was not that long ago, the only year he's resembled the Axl of old.

I still will never know what happened to Axl's 2010 rasp.

so axl's lost his rasp and mickey is back? axl's throat blew out too? medical problem?

That was the worst I've ever heard him. I felt bad for the band. Bumblefoot looked embarrassed at the end of Jungle. Worse than 2002. Worse than Rio this year. Just so sad because he was the greatest frontman of all time. I mean, karaoke singers sound better. He must be beyond depressed to be that careless.

well. if axl has a problem with his throat...axl needs to get it checked out at the hospital and treated before he goes on stage again

The band was great as per usual, but Axl seriously tanked until Patience. He was REALLY struggling. Is it medical? Is it just his age catching up with him? Is it a lack of warming up? Strange. It was actually painful to watch at times, but at least the last 3 songs were very enjoyable.

There is really no excuse. All of the other bands came out and sounded great. Eddie wasn't even suppose to sing tonigt and he sounded great.

Exactly.

Excuse? Couldn't it be that he isn't better these days and that no amount of rehearsals and warm-ups could help? You all interpret this as if Axl somehow did things on purpose or did a bad job thought neglect, disregarding the fact that this may be the state of his voice nowadays. If so, it is nothing to excuse. It is sad, but nothing to excuse as if it could have been prevented.

If you sound that sorry and nothing in the world can fix it, there is only one thing left to do.

Yes, exactly, if you are having fun and people enjoy your shows, then there is only one thing to do: Keep doing it.

I would not be having fun if I performed poorly. I would not take the stage unless I knew I could hit it out of the park.

Guess we'll see how the Vegas shows go. As per usual, I'm sure things will get better.

Edited by KBear

Exactly.

That is the part of this that is so fucking weird. People act as if this is somehow surprising or intentional. When I go see a band, or an athletic event, I take into consideration the variables like age and setting etc. I wanted to see greg Maddux pitch one more time before he retired so I made a trip to the bay area to see him, he was forty something years old, and you know what, he didn't throw an 89 pitch shut out with no walks. Dude was past his prime.

Axl is not in his prime, and has played his ass off for the last 6 years at 2 1/2 to 3 hours a night in the twilight of his career. I do not go to see him to be pitch perfect. You fucking people baffle me. I just don't know what you expect from a 50+ year old guy who basically screamed and shrilled for the last 35 years of his life. He did this pro bono, and I am sure the people there had a good time. You think three songs out of what 70 ruined it for everyone there?

My God, I am not making excuses, there are REASONS rocks stars burn out. Problem is every time you think he is done he reaches back for a little more and pitches a great game, and some of us appreciate it, and others, they expect that for the rest of the season.

Just not possible. He did this for charity, lighten up.

Exactly.

I would not be having fun if I performed poorly.

Chill, it was just one show. We aren't gonna proclaim an end to a career based on one show, are we? ;). The reviews so far in 2012 have been GREAT.

Sometimes I feel like I'm beating a dead horse.

I was watching and pulling for them, but I'd be deliriously deluded to think anything other than it's not quite right. At least they all (Axl included) kept in good spirits and gave it.

What Axl does is tough, vocally. And the glare is brighter acoustically. Even if it doesn't always come off, I'd prefer he put it out there and went for it which he did for most of the set.

While I love Eddie Vedder, and he was great tonight (both in standing in and in performance) and deserved all the plaudits, it's a totally different style and a lot more contained and comfortable in range. But yeah Axl does seem to have problems with his throat and consistently pulling off pitch. He's not the singer he was, which I'm sure he's well aware of. He can still have moments of brilliance live, and can pull off studio recording. As far as I'm concerned I'd much rather that than nothing.

You're Crazy - ok

Used To Love Her - not quite right

Welcome To The Jungle - bad

Better - REALLY bad to embarrassing

Patience - great

(Paradise City Intro) Sweet Child O' Mine - good

Paradise City - ok

Glad I watch it and I enjoyed most of the set. The band looks good and they'll be snippets they can use for promotion (i.e. on JKL).

VOD is up already. At least I'm watching it now.

I recorded the concert and I'm uploading it to youtube now.

Particularly given that this was a charity show, if VOD is available, then we won't allow links to be posted on here until the video on demand stuff is offline.

Making no apologies here for trying to force people to pay for a bad performance, it's for a good cause.

I'm I the only one still watching? Neil's blowing me away. He's as amazing as ever. Love this dude, and SO pissed I missed him a couple weeks ago.

Nah, I'm still watching. Neil still sounds exactly like Neil.

Every time I hear him, I assume "This will be the time he's lost a step," and he never has. I saw him at Farm Aid in 2005, and it was like he was still 25. Tore the house down. He's always consistent, always great. If only other singers I watched tonight were like this...

Exactly.

I would not be having fun if I performed poorly.

Chill, it was just one show. We aren't gonna proclaim an end to a career based on one show, are we? ;). The reviews so far in 2012 have been GREAT.

I'm not saying his career is over. Like I said, the Vegas shows will get better and better. Axl needs to warm up, only he should do it before the first show. Not use the first show. People say he did this for charity but if he didn't practice the way he should have it's kind of a slap in the face to this show.

That said, I'm not sure I've heard him worse. There was no power in his voice for much of the show. Even when he sounded bad he still belted out his vocals. Not today though. I know it was an acoustic show but a singer should still project his voice. Today he did at times, but those were very short lived.

Sorry if some of us are being critical, I'm sure we are just calling it like we see it. I've got nothing more to say anyhow, so good night.

I'm I the only one still watching? Neil's blowing me away. He's as amazing as ever. Love this dude, and SO pissed I missed him a couple weeks ago.

ANOTHER reason I don't want to hear the age excuse with Axl. Neil is 16 years older and kicking ass!!! Axl is lazy or depressed or both. Doesn't care anymore. That's the problem.

ANOTHER reason I don't want to hear the age excuse with Axl. Neil is 16 years older and kicking ass!!! Axl is lazy or depressed or both. Doesn't care anymore. That's the problem.

To be fair to Axl, singing in his style is a lot more difficult and straining on the voice.

I don't think it's a caring issue. Neil sings in a normal voice. Axl does that high rasp/screech/falsetto which is much harder on the vocal chords. I won't begrudge him that, just wish he'd work with what he still has.

People say he did this for charity but if he didn't practice the way he should have it's kind of a slap in the face to this show.

It would only be a slap in the face if the band's show wasn't entertaining...So far we have only Ali's comments and the audience reaction on tape to go with, but I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if people there were having a good time during GN'R's concert.

Particularly given that this was a charity show, if VOD is available, then we won't allow links to be posted on here until the video on demand stuff is offline.

Making no apologies here for trying to force people to pay for a bad performance, it's for a good cause.

Fair enough, I didn't think there would be VOD for it. I will refrain from posting the link to the video then.

Dickenson is 54 and Halford is 61. Both have beyond demanding vocal styles and both tour year round, yet both consistently deliver.

For every one of those you named, there are a hundred that don't. Again, he has dne this before, over and over, but you all come here, bitch again. Everyone is different. But I think we can all agree that the majority of Hard Rock singers at the age of 50 are not what they were when they were in their prime. Let alone acoustically. It is not an excuse man, just the way it is.

I don't go see GNR to see a pitch perfect performance. Never have, and I have been going since 89. If you want a band that sounds like they do on their CD's go see Metallica. No thanks.

Edited by Ruxin

Fair enough, I didn't think there would be VOD for it. I will refrain from posting the link to the video then.

Thanks, once the VOD is gone, that'll be fine.

To be fair to Axl, singing in his style is a lot more difficult and straining on the voice.

Again, Dickenson is 54 and Halford is 61. Both have beyond demanding vocal styles and both tour year round, yet both consistently deliver.

And yes, Neil sounds full of integrity, heart, and passion as usual.