Bridge School Benefit Show and Webcast Oct. 20, 2012

gmsugaree

To be fair to Axl, singing in his style is a lot more difficult and straining on the voice.

Again, Dickenson is 54 and Halford is 61. Both have beyond demanding vocal styles and both tour year round, yet both consistently deliver.

And yes, Neil sounds full of integrity, heart, and passion as usual.

That may be true, but we weren't comparing Axl to those guys. It's obvious he didn't prepare for this, and hasn't practiced in the past 3 months. Once he has a few shows under his belt, I'm sure he'll sound better.

To be fair to Axl, singing in his style is a lot more difficult and straining on the voice.

Again, Dickenson is 54 and Halford is 61. Both have beyond demanding vocal styles and both tour year round, yet both consistently deliver.

And yes, Neil sounds full of integrity, heart, and passion as usual.

That may be true, but we weren't comparing Axl to those guys. It's obvious he didn't prepare for this, and hasn't practiced in the past 3 months. Once he has a few shows under his belt, I'm sure he'll sound better.

The thing is...why can't the guy ever prepare himself before these big events? There's always more riding on these when they're being streamed online, more people are watching. He should've learned this with Rio.

Guest Sleeping Like An Angel

My internet connection is very weak so was worried I wouldn't be able to watch it. However, it was PERFECT for me and it kept in time which was unusual.

Dickenson is 54 and Halford is 61. Both have beyond demanding vocal styles and both tour year round, yet both consistently deliver.

For every one of those you named, there are a hundred that don't. Again, he has dne this before, over and over, but you all come here, bitch again. Everyone is different. But I think we can all agree that the majority of Hard Rock singers at the age of 50 are not what they were when they were in their prime. Let alone acoustically. It is not an excuse man, just the way it is.

I don't go see GNR to see a pitch perfect performance. Never have, and I have been going since 89. If you want a band that sounds like they do on their CD's go see Metallica. No thanks.

You're missing my point completely. It's not about a CD-perfect, rote performance. It's a matter of professional pride to keep the tools that earn you a living in decent condition. Not flawless, not pristine, but make some self-investment. Don't insult the guys that stand there and share that stage next to you. The ones that practice their craft, take it seriously, and actually rehearse like it's their livelihood. He doesn't wanna do it anymore? I don't begrudge the guy, but fucking go home. Stop pulling the wool.

Edited by oneway23

The thing is...why can't the guy ever prepare himself before these big events? There's always more riding on these when they're being streamed online, more people are watching. He should've learned this with Rio.

Bingo...enough with this "give the guy a dozen shows." Day one, show one, stand up there like a man, like a professional. Every night, every gig.

Does GnR post a disclaimer on their site informing potential ticket buyers for the beginning leg to cut Axl some slack, cause, well, ya know, he's Axl?

Do the people at the early tour gigs pay less? What am I missing here?

Edited by oneway23

Dickenson is 54 and Halford is 61. Both have beyond demanding vocal styles and both tour year round, yet both consistently deliver.

For every one of those you named, there are a hundred that don't. Again, he has dne this before, over and over, but you all come here, bitch again. Everyone is different. But I think we can all agree that the majority of Hard Rock singers at the age of 50 are not what they were when they were in their prime. Let alone acoustically. It is not an excuse man, just the way it is.

I don't go see GNR to see a pitch perfect performance. Never have, and I have been going since 89. If you want a band that sounds like they do on their CD's go see Metallica. No thanks.

You're missing my point completely. It's not about a CD-perfect, rote performance. It's a matter of professional pride to keep the tools that earn you a living in decent condition. Not flawless, not pristine, but make some self-investment. Don't insult the guys that stand there and share that stage next to you. The ones that practice their craft, take it seriously, and actually rehearse like it's their livelihood. He doesn't wanna do it anymore? I don't begrudge the guy, but fucking go home. Stop pulling the wool.

Wow, how melodramatic. Not using a raspy tone does not equate to a lack of preparation or warm-up.

IMO, any comparisons to Rio last year are the product of delusion.

Ali

The band was great as per usual, but Axl seriously tanked until Patience. He was REALLY struggling. Is it medical? Is it just his age catching up with him? Is it a lack of warming up? Strange. It was actually painful to watch at times, but at least the last 3 songs were very enjoyable.

i think it could be medical. if it's medical....axl shouldn't perform on stage again until he's 100% healthy

Is Mother Goose the only one who stuck around for the finale? What the hell?

EDIT: Think I saw Stinson and 4tus too. But seriously? Axl couldn't stay sooooo late to do one more damn song? Come on, dude...

Edited by axlslash

I hear the sound of Eddie Vedder rolling on the floor laughing in between songs.

I love both Eddie and Axl... but let's just say there is a huge different between the two when it comes to consistency. Yeah I know they are two different styles but still... Eddie is just miles ahead in that respect

I hear the sound of Eddie Vedder rolling on the floor laughing in between songs.

I love both Eddie and Axl... but let's just say there is a huge different between the two when it comes to consistency. Yeah I know they are two different styles but still... Eddie is just miles ahead in that respect

eddie vedder was miles ahead of axl tonight?

He can still have moments of brilliance live, and can pull off studio recording.

Why does everyone always say this - Axl hasn't laid down vocals in a studio since he sang on Baz's album 5 years ago.

His voice isn't magically going to restore itself once he steps inside a studio.

Because in the studio you can do it again and again until it's right and only keep the brilliance

Miles ahead overall

Pittman up front with Neil sharing a mic on Rockin in the Free World to end the show. Tommy and 4tus were up there too. How the fuck was Axl not there?

Pitman stumbling up to the mic to sing totally off tune with Neil is the best moment of the entire show. I need to see it again.

Mothergoose is a legend.

Miles ahead overall

wow. how do the other rock n' roll singers sound compared to axl tonight at the benefit for kids?

Ali,

Why does Axl sound bad on an internet broadcast, but the rock singer 15 minutes before him sound fantastic? If it is all about the quality of the internet, shouldn't it effect all the singers?

I don't understand why some of the posters on here defend everything Axl does, no matter what.

An for the guy who used the Greg maddux example, you missed the point.

If you saw maddux get shelled (3 innings and 7 runs) what would you say?

Maddux sucked today.....but he is still one of the best pitchers of all time.

Or

Maddux did great tonight, he is one of the best of all time.

You can still be a HUGE fan and think your favorite had a bad concert (or game). Saying everything is always awesome doesn't make you a better fan.

No comparison.

One guy nailed it.

One guy messed up lyrics, was out of breath, and sounded like he had the flu.

But the band sounded great.

BTW: Axl's face looked damn fat...seriously folks I love GNR and although I prefer Slash these days...I still hold out hope Axl can come back stronger than ever...but if this dude can't get on goddamned treadmill for 20 minutes a day...what the fuck is the point of even hoping for anything anymore? If u don't take your fitness seriously at age 50 after being disappointing for many years...you don't even care imo ...WTF?