Eminem and Friends - Shady XV

bacardimayne

Slaughterhouse (particularly Royce) and Yelawolf really shine on this. That Psychopath Killer hook? Awesome.

Em needs to change his style. His lines are still clever but it's so choppy and disoriented that it doesn't sound good at all.

The other thing I don't like about his style is that he basically screams to convey emotion and it sounds terrible. He use to layer his voice and it sounded so much better...I wish he'd go back to that again.

He needs another album full of Dre beats. I didn't like Relapse that much when it was released but I would take that delivery/wordplay (even with the accents) over this any day.

lol flow and wordplay

Fuck off back to the AC/DC thread.

who?

It's funny because the guy can't NOT post on threads of bands he hates/thinks it's cool to hate. :lol:

I like about 5 Eminem songs, but shit hip hop (aka butt hip hop) is not really my thing. Saul Williams is kinda cool. Not sure if he still exists. Trent produced one of his records.

Your entire reason for existing on GNR forums is to be an obnoxious cupcake. How can you talk?

Didn't know you have a problem with cupcakes, since your hero and master is probably the biggest cupcake and GNR hater on all the forums, and his entire reason for existing on GNR forums is to hate on the band and tell us when he masturbates to Robin Finck fucking up Slash solos. While you applaud, like, take screenshots of his posts and mourns his absence in here (Bust! Shit! Shot in the teat! :rofl-lol:). Not to mention your whole crusade against 80s Hard Rock and its fans in a forum dedicated to a 80s hard rock band. Seriously dude, no one takes broski's own 'gtrunk' seriously. Your opinion about anything or anyone is worth shit.

Exactly. Great post.

It is funny how the two bff's make a living bashing other people's favorite music - even in posts that have nothing to do with music - but then they cry if somebody says anything negative about the music they like.

Bacardi used to be one of my favorite posters, and imo one of the better posters on the forum, until he became obsessed with bashing certain types of music and defending Broski's angry rants.

Eminem seems to mostly put out strong albums so this one will probably be good as well.

This again? Not even going to bother responding to maynard.

Groghan:

Why do you think Broski and I are BFFs? We've spoken to eachother outside of the forum maybe... 3-4 times for a grand total of maybe 5 minutes in the past few years. I like the guy's posts. He makes me laugh.

I don't care if people don't like the music I like. A lot of people don't like Eminem. Good for them. I'm just sick of the shitsquad following me around 3 forums for extremely pedantic reasons, like me linking a Broski post in my status once over a month ago. I'm aware that the reason they do it is because they find it annoying and that there's no actual reason to it behind that.

A lot of it has been out before. But I didn't pay that much attention. So it's great to have it all pooled together. Love the Obi Trice stuff. Got me shadowing boxing in the mall.

I know he has to do those mainstream pop albums but this stuff is much better. 50 and Em work so well together.

lol flow and wordplay

who?

It's funny because the guy can't NOT post on threads of bands he hates/thinks it's cool to hate. :lol:

I like about 5 Eminem songs, but shit hip hop (aka butt hip hop) is not really my thing. Saul Williams is kinda cool. Not sure if he still exists. Trent produced one of his records.

Your entire reason for existing on GNR forums is to be an obnoxious cupcake. How can you talk?

Didn't know you have a problem with cupcakes, since your hero and master is probably the biggest cupcake and GNR hater on all the forums, and his entire reason for existing on GNR forums is to hate on the band and tell us when he masturbates to Robin Finck fucking up Slash solos. While you applaud, like, take screenshots of his posts and mourns his absence in here (Bust! Shit! Shot in the teat! :rofl-lol:). Not to mention your whole crusade against 80s Hard Rock and its fans in a forum dedicated to a 80s hard rock band. Seriously dude, no one takes broski's own 'gtrunk' seriously. Your opinion about anything or anyone is worth shit.

Oh the irony.

In another topic right now Bacardi is proclaiming that he doesn't do this.

• Like 2

lol flow and wordplay

who?

Oh the irony.

In another topic right now Bacardi is proclaiming that he doesn't do this.

Where in that do I get mad because someone doesn't like Eminem?

Marshall's rapping is better than ever from a technical standpoint. However the issue is content and beats.

He is a master at rap in the sense of using nearly every device in the english language such as assonance, alliteration, multi syllabic internal mosaic rhyming, etc. However he is just rapping about stupid bull shit. He just happens to rap about stupid bull shit better than anyone on the planet.

In one sense, he has realized that he won't ever be exactly like he used to be. His flows have evolved, content has changed. But he teeters content wise whether to abandon the battle rap or do nothing but. Unfortunately, his battle raps are constructed better than ever, but the punchlines are a little corny. But it's truy not picking.

The real problem is his piss poor beat selection. If you took the rhymes off the title track, and put them on say, the slaughterhouse track on the record "y'all already know," it would be amazing. But the beat is just cheesey.

The album was also marketed as something it sort of was not. It was implied the first disc was a collection of all new songs intended just for the record to showcase the label's talent. Outside of "Psychopath Killer." "Guts Over Fear," and "Y'all Already Know," the album is just Recovery and MMLP2 Outtakes.

Someone needs to tell Marshall no. The only person who would be able to do that is Dr. Dre, but he checked out of the making music part of the music business long ago.

Marshall's rapping is better than ever from a technical standpoint. However the issue is content and beats.

He is a master at rap in the sense of using nearly every device in the english language such as assonance, alliteration, multi syllabic internal mosaic rhyming, etc. However he is just rapping about stupid bull shit. He just happens to rap about stupid bull shit better than anyone on the planet.

In one sense, he has realized that he won't ever be exactly like he used to be. His flows have evolved, content has changed. But he teeters content wise whether to abandon the battle rap or do nothing but. Unfortunately, his battle raps are constructed better than ever, but the punchlines are a little corny. But it's truy not picking.

The real problem is his piss poor beat selection. If you took the rhymes off the title track, and put them on say, the slaughterhouse track on the record "y'all already know," it would be amazing. But the beat is just cheesey.

The album was also marketed as something it sort of was not. It was implied the first disc was a collection of all new songs intended just for the record to showcase the label's talent. Outside of "Psychopath Killer." "Guts Over Fear," and "Y'all Already Know," the album is just Recovery and MMLP2 Outtakes.

Someone needs to tell Marshall no. The only person who would be able to do that is Dr. Dre, but he checked out of the making music part of the music business long ago.

If i were Dre the entire rap industry could fall to bits and i wouldnt give a monkeys, with his money, raps first billionaire.

Pretty much. MMLP2 was solid and Rap God is probably in my top 5 of his songs, but he hasn't exactly been killing it recently despite his technical perfection.

That basically sums up Eminem from 2009-present. It's never been a question of ability, but he isn't putting out what we want to hear, which is hard to fault him for considering that there's no real expectation for what a 42 year old superstar rapper is supposed to be like. Commercially, the inspirational been through the struggle figure of Recovery and The Monster from MMLP2 is most successful, though for core fans it doesn't engage them as much. The battle rap zaniness of rap god and nearly all of relapse (which is an underrated album, the rapping was brilliant despite the accents) doesn't appeal to the masses and is difficult for him to do without falling back into misogynistic tendencies. When he branches out, it doesn't quite hit its mark.

The only example to really follow is Jay-Z's where the focus turns to his own brand, and appearing as a superstar guest. However, Eminem isn't successful as a guest artist because he's too good a rapper. Any song he raps on becomes an Eminem song. The few rappers who can keep up with marshall are on his label.

There really isn't much where else for Marshall to go, something he acknowledges on "Guts Over Fear," which might be the most straightforward and honest assessment of his career there is.

Relapse was his best since his comeback. Then MMLP2. Then Bad Meets Evil. Then Recovery. The content does have something to do with it, even though I think Relapse and Bad Meets Evil are pretty close to classic slim shady. But the beats have the most to do with it to me. That's why Relapse is my favorite of the bunch. Something about him over a Dre beat, and over his own self produced beats, fit perfect. That quirky, bouncy, slim shady sound. I'm not the biggest fan of the production now, that goes for hip hop in general too. But Dre is done, and for whatever reason Em isn't producing anymore. So his rapping style has adapted to today's production. He is still spitting some top notch mc shit though. It's just a different time. But seriously, as far as how long he not only has been around, but how relevant he still is and how much he still sales, he is kind of in a whole other category that not many rappers have been in.

Shady XV has the same issues as far as production goes.

Edited by J Dog
  • Like 2

^Great post, I agree with everything you said.

I listened to Relapse recently for the first time in a while. Sure, there's a good amount of filler, but you can't tell me that he isn't on fire on that compared to some of his recent work. 2009 as a whole was the best year for Em since his comeback: Relapse, the EP that came out with the re-release was pretty good, The Warning was the closest song we'll ever get again that sounds like the old Em, and he owned Forever.

Then it all fell apart and he starting doing songs with Rihanna and bringing in outside producers.

• Like 1

Shady XV's first disc was marketed as a label showcase when really it was mostly Eminem throwaways.

I was thinking it was going to be more like The Re-Up, everyone getting a few songs and everyone doing songs together. I'm a big fan of Crooked, Royce, and Yelawolf, I would have have liked to hear more of them.

Edited by J Dog

Shady XV's first disc was marketed as a label showcase when really it was mostly Eminem throwaways.

I was thinking it was going to be more like The Re-Up, everyone getting a few songs and everyone doing songs together. I'm a big fan of Crooked, Royce, and Yelawolf, I would have have liked to hear more of them.

Royce will forever be one of the most underrated rappers. Granted, he's not underrated by hip hop fans, everyone recognizes his talent, but it's crazy to me he never blew up like he should have. Getting in a beef with D12 in the middle of Eminem-mania in the early 00's didn't help.

• Like 1