Wrestling Thread Vol. 3

ssiscool

Another B-list PPV that was underwhelming in the build and exceeded expectations. I skipped the mixed tag, but liked everything else, for the most part. The IC match was perfect except for Dean being shit at ring psych and worse at execution (so I guess it's just Miz and decent booking that were good), main event was worth the price of admission all by itself, and hopefully Matt losing the tag titles of the world because his brother is a spot monkey will lead to what we've all been waiting for. 

So is Bayley getting future endeavored now? Hot damn I have never seen a "main event" talent so horribly buried. 

3 hours ago, axlslash said:

So is Bayley getting future endeavored now? Hot damn I have never seen a "main event" talent so horribly buried. 

She is absolutely horrible. I'm glad they burried her. I don't think I've thought anyone sucks as much as her ever. Not just the women's division but all wrestlers. I can't stand her persona. Get rid of her

• Like 1

3 hours ago, AtariLegend said:

The traditional second best pro-wrestling PPV of the year this Sunday, hope you guys are watching!

GoD vs War Machine, Bucks vs RPG, and a six star rematch one one card? Don't mind if I do. Talk about a long build and protected finisher - when Kenny finally hits that One Winged Angel on Kaz, the place is going to come absolutely unglued. 

On 6/6/2017 at 10:17 AM, axlslash said:

GoD vs War Machine, Bucks vs RPG, and a six star rematch one one card? Don't mind if I do. Talk about a long build and protected finisher - when Kenny finally hits that One Winged Angel on Kaz, the place is going to come absolutely unglued. 

I really want to see Kenny win the IWGP belt

8 minutes ago, PsychoKiss344 said:

I really want to see Kenny win the IWGP belt

1 minute ago, AtariLegend said:

Wouldn't be surprised if it ends in a 60 minute draw

I think Kenny has to win it at some point. The in-ring story of their feud is Kenny's ongoing quest to hit the Angel. He has to at some point, but I'd like to see this go to a draw and have the big switch come at WK12. Maybe Kenny finally has Okada set up for it when time runs out to keep that story going and build some more tension. Either way, though, I think this eventually ends with Kenny takin the belt. Just a matter of when. 

10 hours ago, axlslash said:

I think Kenny has to win it at some point. The in-ring story of their feud is Kenny's ongoing quest to hit the Angel. He has to at some point, but I'd like to see this go to a draw and have the big switch come at WK12. Maybe Kenny finally has Okada set up for it when time runs out to keep that story going and build some more tension. Either way, though, I think this eventually ends with Kenny takin the belt. Just a matter of when. 

Completely agreed. So far it's been absolutely brilliant. I wish WWE would understand that title quests like this are great story telling and give meaning to titles and to winning them. Much better than all the hot-potatoe'ing they're doing. And yeah, Kenny absolutely deserves to hold the title eventually. The storytelling is making everybody feel this way, the suspense is there and because of that you'll know everybody will go apeshit when it finally happens. 

6 hours ago, username said:

Completely agreed. So far it's been absolutely brilliant. I wish WWE would understand that title quests like this are great story telling and give meaning to titles and to winning them. Much better than all the hot-potatoe'ing they're doing. And yeah, Kenny absolutely deserves to hold the title eventually. The storytelling is making everybody feel this way, the suspense is there and because of that you'll know everybody will go apeshit when it finally happens. 

When AJ first came in, WWE seemed to be doing a similar story with the Clash, where he'd try and try and try but never hit it. Then they blew that off on a random SmackDown pretaped episode in a meaningless match and doubled down on the goddamn forearm before letting Y2J win for no fucking reason. 

The one thing I will say in WWE's defense is that they have so much more time to fill. Sure, NJPW does a better job of putting together long feuds, but how much TV time have they had to fill since WK11? Admittedly I don't know their domestic broadcast scheme so I could be totally wrong, but as far as I'm aware, they had the couple of "Road to Dontaku" shows, Dontaku itself, Road to Sakura Genesis and Sakura Genesis, and BOSJ. Maybe a few others that I've forgotten. But WWE has either 2 or 3 hours per week depending on the brand, plus a three-hour PPV once per month. It's easier to make a feud last a year when you have a smaller number of marquee events and TV shows to fill. 

NJPW run weekly events/tours. The Road to Shows are basically house shows with some matches televised. They run PPV's monthly and the IWGP Championship isn't defended every month. Their weekly TV in Japan isn't a big part of it and it's essentially a more up to date version of the AXS show only in Japaneses.

They also don't do promos unless it's to set-up matches i.e like UFC.

They don't have the same model as WWE or indies.

Also not exactly just a few dates depending on the month. When the G-1 starts, it's basically tournament running 19 days in a month of 4 hour + shows with added intermission time in the middle of the card to give crowds a breather.

Best of the Super Juniors which just ended was a 14 day under-card tournament.

It's presented as a sport, WWE presents their shows as a variety show. Different genres.

Edited by AtariLegend

The main event was really good and perfectly executed. Maybe they'll do Okada/Omega III at King of Pro Wrestling before the Tokyo Dome show, to avoid making the G-1 Climax predictable.

Really disappointed though they've decided to treat Long Beach as a network special. Big backlash on the Observer board as to Okada's next challenger for that show.

Edited by AtariLegend

2 minutes ago, PsychoKiss344 said:

@AtariLegend @axlslash

Did you guys enjoy Dominion?

I thought every match was solid!

My only complaint was blowing the Angel on a goddamn rope break. Sucked all of the air out of that build, or at least what it could have been. But as a match, every bit the masterpiece the first was. Undercard was dynamite too, especially Tanahashi/Naito. 

• Like 1

I know it's controversial to give credit to WWE creative, and that it's super rare that they effectively cater to the broader wrestling community beyond their own main roster marks. But guys. After laying a strong, subtle premise for the bit,  on Raw, WWE gave us John Moxley in a goddamn bear suit. Bravo.