Weiland: "I Was Never A Member of Art Of Anarchy"

I can understand both sides but this whole thing is stupid

Ron and co- are probably really proud of the project and since Scott is a big name, they want to capitalize on that

Scott- isn't affiliated with them anymore, but the press release was very misleading

The way I see it they were being a little disingenuous in an attempt to cash in on Scott's name. If they didnt let him know about the press release before it came out then they're in the wrong and he has every right to be a little ticked off.

If they did let him know then he's out of order for the way he's responded in the press. If it was anybody else Id be 99% certain that the first scenario was the truth. With Scott's history however I'm a little less certain but I still reckon that's probably how it went down.

Edited by Dazey
  • Like 2

I don't see what any of the fuss is about. Everybody here knows from experiences with the band that this site is dedicated that junkies have fucked up memories and know fuck-all about what happened in the world around them. I'd say it's a very safe bet that Scott only says this because he has no memory of being in the band.

This is all pretty weird (although that's to be expected in Guns N' Roses land :lol: ) It seems Scott was involved enough to do photoshoots and a video shoot, not to mention writing lyrics and melodies and singing on the thing. Even if was just a minor thing to him, surely he shouldn't be surprised that they're promoting the record, having spent time and money making it. Seems he's being a bit of a dick about the whole thing.

Personally, I'm surprised he's picking his solo stuff over this. His solo career seems to be a non event, whilst the guys in Art Of Anarchy are hardly big names it did seem to bring him back into the spotlight a bit.

Edited by BassistSeb
  • Like 1

This is all pretty weird (although that's to be expected in Guns N' Roses land :lol: ) It seems Scott was involved enough to do photoshoots and a video shoot, not to mention writing lyrics and melodies and singing on the thing. Even if was just a minor thing to him, surely he shouldn't be surprised that they're promoting the record, having spent time and money making it. Seems he's being a bit of a dick about the whole thing.

Personally, I'm surprised he's picking his solo stuff over this. His solo career seems to be a non event, whilst the guys in Art Of Anarchy are hardly big names it did seem to being him back into the spotlight a bit.

I was about to post this same thing, hell this weird and slightly unknown newish band that has only released a couple minutes worth of songs has gotten more media attention then what's weilands band? The wildabouts? Psh lol

IMHO they really weren't trying to be disingenuous or to capitalize on Scott's name. The Art of Anarchy press release mentions him as a member of the band (and all signs point to him actually being in that role); it doesn't emphasize him above anyone else. In fact most of the press release seems to be about BBF's friendship with the Votta brothers. The other AoA members don't control what the press chose to pick up on. Given that he was the lead vocalist for their album, wrote lyrics, did photo shoots and shot at least one video, it was reasonable of them to mention Scott in the press release in the way they did.

Original press release below:

http://www.ueginc.com/portfolio/art-of-anarchy/

Edited by stella

Personally, I'm surprised he's picking his solo stuff over this. His solo career seems to be a non event, whilst the guys in Art Of Anarchy are hardly big names it did seem to being him back into the spotlight a bit.

I was about to post this same thing, hell this weird and slightly unknown newish band that has only released a couple minutes worth of songs has gotten more media attention then what's weilands band? The wildabouts? Psh lol

Yeah, I mean part of me wasn't surprised when this news about Art Of Anarchy forming came out in that Scott's solo career doesn't really seem to be going anywhere hence his frequent comments about wanting a VR reunion so him joining another band made sense. I'm really surprised by his reaction to be honest. As you said, it's gotten more media coverage than his solo stuff so I don't see why he would want to kill it dead in the water. Could help his solo stuff plus it needn't be a full time thing, could be like Chickenfoot where they get together once in a while.

IMHO they really weren't trying to be disingenuous or to capitalize on Scott's name. The Art of Anarchy press release mentions him as a member of the band (and all signs point to him actually being in that role); it doesn't emphasize him above anyone else. In fact most of the press release seems to be about BBF's friendship with the Votta brothers. The other AoA members don't control what the press chose to pick up on. Given that he was the lead vocalist for their album, wrote lyrics, did photo shoots and shot at least one video, it was reasonable of them to mention Scott in the press release in the way they did.

I think that theory only holds up if they're all as well known as each other which just isn't the case here.

I think that theory only holds up if they're all as well known as each other which just isn't the case here.

If the press release said ART OF ANARCHY STARRING SCOTT WEILAND! I'd agree. But it doesn't. He was the lead singer on the album and was in the press photos. Were they supposed to *not* mention his name? It's true that the press was going to pick up on Scott and BBF's names more than the other two, but again, what was the other option, not mentioning who their lead singer was? The press release wasn't all about him. He was mentioned as ONE component out of several.

• Like 1

lol, bring out an album with the singer already gone, and maybe on tour with another singer....hmmmm

Makes you feel this band is going to be a big hit doesnt it ? :P the ship didn't left the port yet and is already sinking. I can be wrong , people might like the new singer they find but is too much confusion already

If the press release said ART OF ANARCHY STARRING SCOTT WEILAND! I'd agree. But it doesn't. He was the lead singer on the album and was in the press photos. Were they supposed to *not* mention his name? It's true that the press was going to pick up on Scott and BBF's names more than the other two, but again, what was the other option, not mentioning who their lead singer was? The press release wasn't all about him. He was mentioned as ONE component out of several.

Have to agree with this. It's not like Scott guested on one track or something (which is what it seems he's trying to make out it was) - he wrote the lyrics and melodies and sang on all the tracks, they can't gloss over his involvement. Plus again, if the media focused on Scott because he's the most famous (although Disturbed had a pretty big following when they were still going) you can't really blame the other guys.

I never thought of it like that, bassistseb. He did write and record on each track. Plus you have him in the videos and pictures. An entire album that's already done doesn't exactly equate to a silly side thing. I'm starting to think Scott will just always be a jagoff.

lol, bring out an album with the singer already gone, and maybe on tour with another singer....hmmmm

Makes you feel this band is going to be a big hit doesnt it ? :P the ship didn't left the port yet and is already sinking. I can be wrong , people might like the new singer they find but is too much confusion already

This band is already dead really. I guess you have the Disturbed connection but Scott was the biggest name there, I doubt they'd draw a decent crowd without him (even with him I doubt they'd be huge!) It would kind of be like Ashba and James Michael doing a Sixx: AM tour without Nikki.

I never thought of it like that, bassistseb. He did write and record on each track. Plus you have him in the videos and pictures. An entire album that's already done doesn't exactly equate to a silly side thing. I'm starting to think Scott will just always be a jagoff.

Yeah, hence why Scott's comments are confusing. As I said above you get the impression he's talking about something he briefly guested on. Even if he did phone it in he still must have spent a decent amount of time making the record. Ah well, Weiland is a strange one.....

Have to agree with this. It's not like Scott guested on one track or something (which is what it seems he's trying to make out it was) - he wrote the lyrics and melodies and sang on all the tracks, they can't gloss over his involvement. Plus again, if the media focused on Scott because he's the most famous (although Disturbed had a pretty big following when they were still going) you can't really blame the other guys.

Yeah but at no point in the press release did it happen to mention that Scott was, y'know, not in the band and wouldn't be touring with them at all. Also I'm rather confused as to why he was seemingly unaware of this press release until it was revealed. I mean you would expect him to have been involved wouldn't you?

Yeah, he should have known about the press release. And why would the rest of the band pretend nothing was wrong if they knew Scott's intentions. This is just all so bizarre.

Maybe Ron and Scott didn't get along or something? Why would Scott agree to do this as just a guest if it was a whole album? I mean, sometimes people guest on shit. Remember that shitty band, My Darkest Days? Zakk Wylde played on their one song and was featured in the video I think. I even thought he was in the band for a bit. Still, that was just one song

Yeah but at no point in the press release did it happen to mention that Scott was, y'know, not in the band and wouldn't be touring with them at all. Also I'm rather confused as to why he was seemingly unaware of this press release until it was revealed. I mean you would expect him to have been involved wouldn't you?

Yeah it's all pretty weird. I mean if they knew from the beginning he was never going to be a part of it when the album wrapped then it was a bit of a silly move by them in the first place really. Replacing a member of a "supergroup" is always going to be risky but when it's the most famous guy and it's the frontman - they should have just gone for someone else in my opinion. I mean without Scott it is just a bunch of other guys really, although I guess there may be enough Disturbed fans out there who are interested in this.

I can't see them springing this on him. If BBF's telling the truth and there's something in writing - and I'd have no reason to believe that they wouldn't cover their butts with a written contract - then there would have been mutual agreement and understanding as to Scott's involvement. If you read the whole press release it doesn't say ANYTHING about Scott potentially touring with the band - it mentions the project, the members of the project and the album. That's it.

I'm just personally inclined to believe that's Scott's just being his usual asshole self with all of this. He's not known for telling the truth. You don't take band press photos, do videos, and record an entire album with the expectation that your involvement is going to be kept secret. Perhaps since this project took so long to come out, he didn't expect that it was really going to happen, and now he thinks it's going to potentially jeopardize his own stuff. That would make BBF's second press statement - about how this band is a side thing and doesn't conflict with anyone else's projects - make a lot of sense. Perhaps he doesn't like the way it turned out. Perhaps he was off the wagon at the time and can't actually remember doing it. In any case the way he's approaching this is idiotic. IMHO.

It would actually have been to his benefit for the public/potential future collaborators to see him getting along nicely with a band for once, but he blew it again.

This band is already dead really. I guess you have the Disturbed connection but Scott was the biggest name there, I doubt they'd draw a decent crowd without him (even with him I doubt they'd be huge!) It would kind of be like Ashba and James Michael doing a Sixx: AM tour without Nikki.

Yeah , from that point of view im forced to agree

I can't see them springing this on him. If BBF's telling the truth and there's something in writing - and I'd have no reason to believe that they wouldn't cover their butts with a written contract - then there would have been mutual agreement and understanding as to Scott's involvement. If you read the whole press release it doesn't say ANYTHING about Scott potentially touring with the band - it mentions the project, the members of the project and the album. That's it.

I'm just personally inclined to believe that's Scott's just being his usual asshole self with all of this. He's not known for telling the truth. You don't take band press photos, do videos, and record an entire album with the expectation that your involvement is going to be kept secret. Perhaps since this project took so long to come out, he didn't expect that it was really going to happen, and now he thinks it's going to potentially jeopardize his own stuff. That would make BBF's second press statement - about how this band is a side thing and doesn't conflict with anyone else's projects - make a lot of sense. Perhaps he doesn't like the way it turned out. Perhaps he was off the wagon at the time and can't actually remember doing it. In any case the way he's approaching this is idiotic. IMHO.

It would actually have been to his benefit for the public/potential future collaborators to see him getting along nicely with a band for once, but he blew it again.

I'm sorry but every word of that press release implies that this band is moving forward with big plans this year. The wording is basically saying it without having to say it.

You dont use phrases like "Art of Anarchy is redefining the supergroup" and "this mega band promises to transform a new generation of rock enthusiasts" if youre not planning to tour. It's all in the current tense implying that everybody mentioned is an active band member and committed to moving forward with this project.

I mean look at the second paragraph "Art of Anarchy ARE some of the heaviest hitters and most versatile musicians". Note the use of the word ARE there followed by "Iconic frontman Scott Weiland". I mean they didnt say WERE they said ARE which means he's still in the band basically does it not?

Edited by Dazey

Press releases almost always are in the present tense, unless they're about a dead person or an establishment that is undeniably defunct.

It sounds as though everyone thought Scott WAS in the band, until he made his statement to the press. And if there was a contract that backed that up, they would have had no reason not to believe it. The press release is written with that as the understanding. Even so, it doesn't say anything about a tour. It just talks about all the people who made the album. They spent money making this album. They want people to buy it. Of course the press release was going to be hyperbolic. If you look at the press releases for Sixx:AM's original stuff they're just as puffed up, and that wasn't intended to be a touring band either.

Again, as to mentioning Scott in the press release, what would the alternative have been? To say "oh yeah, this guy we thought was in the band, but actually doesn't want to be in the band, was our lead singer?"

Edited by stella

Did it ever occur to anyone that maybe Scott is also sick of being in big bands/super groups? Duff is doing WP on a small scale and Slash has his band where he is more or less boss so he doesn't have to deal with drama anymore. Maybe that's why he wants to focus on his solo bands where he won't be fired or once again ridiculed by former band members. He seems to have soured on the big band idea just as much as Duff and Slash has, he's content with doing things on a smaller scale which is probably a good thing for him right now.

As for everything else, I agree with Dazey.