MUSE- Drones (June 8th) and Tour

ZoSoRose

I tentatively like the song, but like everyone else in here has said, the lyrics are pretty awful. I'm always suspicious of 'back to basics' albums but we'll see, I haven't liked anything they've put out after Black Holes & Revelations. I love when bands experiment, but Muse totally lost the plot and became a caricature of themselves.

Their best album was The Resistance (first and only album they produced themselves). 2nd Law was ok but I don't expect "ok" from them... BH&R was a mess but it had some brilliance. I hope Drones will be good as a whole but I'm not convinced with this first track.

So they basically just tried to do Uprising again and did a worse job.

Nope, they play this riff ages ago....(before Uprising)

Yeah it's not very good... The Resistance was definitely their best album, this song is way too simple, it's not even on par with their b-sides from the early 2000's. And the riff was written around the 2003 tour... what a joke.

so if something written some years ago it automatically becomes bad?

and resistance is their best album?

omg..

lel.

• Like 2

Yeah it's not very good... The Resistance was definitely their best album, this song is way too simple, it's not even on par with their b-sides from the early 2000's. And the riff was written around the 2003 tour... what a joke.

omg..

lel.

That riff was used as an outro to Stockholm Syndrome... as a nice bonus. That's it. It's not like Bellamy had a song in mind when he played that and while they did okay turning this riff into a full song, it's pretty mediocre. It was just meant to stay an outro.

Yeah TR is their best album. Origin of symmetry was perfect as well... But TR has more ambition and that symphony... glorious. That's what I expect from them now, not generic average rock songs. But great if you like it.

It's nice to just have a song with a kickass riff that defines the whole song. But you're kidding yourselves if you think Muse are really taking those lyrics seriously. I mean, just listen to how Matt sings the chorus. Not exactly meant as a serious song.

omg..

lel.

That riff was used as an outro to Stockholm Syndrome... as a nice bonus. That's it. It's not like Bellamy had a song in mind when he played that and while they did okay turning this riff into a full song, it's pretty mediocre. It was just meant to stay an outro.

Yeah TR is their best album. Origin of symmetry was perfect as well... But TR has more ambition and that symphony... glorious. That's what I expect from them now, not generic average rock songs. But great if you like it.

It is odd that a forum dedicated to GNR somebody come up with this horseshit as if you just use a riff from an earlier period it is a mediocre thing....

Slash came up with the Anastasia riff in 2011 as a part of his guitar solo spot...

You criticise the song of being mediocre because the riff is old and "meant to be an outro"... how can you possibly know?

Bellamy can easily have tons of ideas and riffs, save it for another albums, not the actual subsequent album and tour...

you know

like a free musician

your argument is bad and you should feel bad

Btw Resistance has more mediocre and pretentious songs and ideas than this one song....

Is anyone else just tired of Bellamy's whole "us vs them' vague lyrics? I mean just look at the album cover, this is ridiculous

B_6sY8yUwAAIBjE.jpg

Now granted, the new song rocks, but the lyrics are horrendous. "your ass belongs to me now" Come on

I see Muse is still making music for edgy high schoolers

• Like 1

Man, I feel like The Resistance is one of their worst albums. That's where Matt finally puts his head so far up his own pretentious ass that he can't see even a glimmer of reality. Their older albums had a little bit harder of an edge to them, before they dove head first into synthesizers and very cookie cutter and immature lyrics about capitalism and society.

I see it like this:

Absolution>Origin of Symmetry>Black Holes and Revelations>Showbiz>Hullabaloo Soundtrack>The Resistence>2nd Law

Didn't listen to the new song, I think I get the idea just based on that awful album artwork. Gonna pass on this one, at least we'll always have Absolution to remind us that this band once made really great rock songs.

Remember when they 'experimented' with dub step? I forgot about that until I saw this thread. Wasn't there just one song on the 2nd Law with like, 20 seconds of a dubstep drop played on guitar?? :lol:

Edited by Dan H.
  • Like 1

Man, I feel like The Resistance is one of their worst albums. That's where Matt finally puts his head so far up his own pretentious ass that he can't see even a glimmer of reality. Their older albums had a little bit harder of an edge to them, before they dove head first into synthesizers and very cookie cutter and immature lyrics about capitalism and society.

I see it like this:

Absolution>Origin of Symmetry>Black Holes and Revelations>Showbiz>Hullabaloo Soundtrack>The Resistence>2nd Law

Didn't listen to the new song, I think I get the idea just based on that awful album artwork. Gonna pass on this one, at least we'll always have Absolution to remind us that this band once made really great rock songs.

Remember when they 'experimented' with dub step? I forgot about that until I saw this thread. Wasn't there just one song on the 2nd Law with like, 20 seconds of a dubstep drop played on guitar?? :lol:

Believe me I love Absolution more than anyone here ahah, my first time with a girl had Absolution playing in the background. Great memories...

I remember the whole album leaked like a month or two before the actual release, I had made a copy on a CD-R, listened to it all that August month (which was the warmest month I have ever experienced) and still bought it day one in september 2003 when it was released. Then listened to it all through the year, and went to see Muse live in Paris in 2003. Still remember when Matt said "this next song is especially for you..." and he played Showbiz.

I'll agree Absolution is probably my favorite one from a nostalgic point of view (though I do have almost as much memories with Showbiz and OOS.. but I was a bit younger) and it's the best album next to TR.

But somehow, maybe it's because Matt is almost my age, only a bit older, Muse's songs always brought something I needed at a particular moment of my life. It's like, their music had to happen at that particular moment.

And The Resistance was the one album where I was astonished by the quality, maybe it's cheesy, but "I belong to you"... what a fantastic song. Using that Camille Saint-Saëns part was genius. It's also the only song of Muse actually featuring the word "muse" heh... but in a very clever way. I still love this song to death. And the symphony... mindblowing. Let alone killer rock tracks like "Unnatural Selection" and "MK Ultra". And the very clever "United States of Eurasia". Na, this album is near perfect.

I don't have a problem with "huge ego" stuff everyone's complaining about. I read the same complaints about Axl's attitude... to me, being egomaniac is essential to an artist, when it's embraced in the good way, to spread the good message, to never let go, to fight and move on. I prefer huge ambition to simple "stripped down" stuff, though stripped down musics can sometimes be great.

Now, Psycho is okay, but it's a bit too simple coming from them. They could have released a song like that back in 2001. I still like OOS but they were very young when they wrote it, and it has aged a bit. What they came up with later is far better.

To me they gradually made better music with time, OOS was better than Showbiz, Absolution was better than OOS, BH&R had the most ambitious tracks from them at the time (Knights of Cydonia, City of Delusion... masterpieces), and The Resistance was the peak of their art. Then, with the 2nd Law, I don't know what happened. Still some good stuff in there but it seemed like a half-assed effort. And now Psycho... I'm not very optimist about this "Drones" album.

(bear in mind I used to be a ultra hardcore Muse fan. I went as far as collecting promotional japanese tapes, went to see them live countless times, made CD's out of their b-sides and was listening to them non-stop for at least 10 years.)

I could have seen myself enjoying the new song back when Muse was in their prime.

They've just lost momentum with me in such an incredible way that I don't think I'll ever be excited about new Muse material ever again.

At this point they're basically a classic rock band to me. Still really dig the old stuff, they've got some timeless material(which is saying a lot, because they never really were consistently incredible) but I can't really see the point of whatever they're trying to do now.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Dead Inside was okay, kinda standard Queen-ish I've come to expect, they can do much better though, 2nd Law was a great album, full of variety and the odd curveball. I've always thought Bellamy seemed more intelligent than his lyrics, they seem so restricted for the topics he explores.

• Like 2