"The X-Files" Returns (2min Trailer Out Now)

BangoSkank

I think I'm more confused now than I may have gotten during the last two seasons?

So they essentially took all nine seasons mytharc and said "No, that's not what happened! THIS is what's happening!" and just made it into a political, national conspiracy against the US instead of an alien conspiracy. Pacing could have been a little better too.

6.5/10

Can't they just stick to the alien shit and have Mulder come face to face with an alien once and for all?! :lol:

I wonder what the possibility of them getting through with these episodes and then going "Surprise, we're going to do a full season!" Who knows. Hope it gets better though.

Much had changed since 2002...but Chris Carter remains a singularly appalling writer and the weakest link of his own fricking creation. That was downright embarrassing. I have heard that it picks up, and that the Darin Morgan ep is fantastic.

I'm incredibly devastated as a fan. Just watched the first episode, I grew up watching the series and watched the old Myth Arch episodes multiple times even in the later weaker seasons.

I had no idea what was going on in that first episode? Is this a fucking reboot, what is or isn't cannon? Did everything past season 5 not happen?

Why couldn't they have just made a mini-series, done a few myth arc episodes set in 2012 after "The Truth" to wrap things up. Then a few non myth arc episodes set before season 8 when they were still the team.

It's a mess, I waited years for this? It was one of my most favorite TV shows ever :(. The CGI was awful too, pacing weird and dialogue clumsy.

Edited by AtariLegend

I agree about the CGI and clumsy dialogue. I actually laughed at some of the things some characters had to say just to bring the new people up to speed or remind people of how many plot twists there were. I liked it a lot at first but I think that was just because I really wanted to lol. I watched it again today and just thought it was ok.

If the season were longer, I'd be more ok with such a so-so start but they needed to do a lot more than they did to start out IMO. I'm also really surprised that they're showing another one tonight. With only 6 total, you'd think they'd spread it out a little more.

Marked improvement tonight. It's not fantastic, but it's the real X-Files again. I think this is the last episode Chris Carter wrote, and maybe I'm being hopelessly optimistic, but I'm in. It'll be better next week. Tonight, not a disappointment, either.

I'm loving it so far, but it does seem like it's jam-packed with shit. With only four episodes to go, I don't know what the hell they're going to do.

End in a cliffhanger and then announce they're doing more episodes?

Second episode definitely better but I wish they would have went into them "getting back into the X-Files" more. It was kind of like "Hey come check this out." 'You wanna do this?' "Yeah ok you're back in."

Also I don't know what they're doing with Scully's hair but why did they have it looking a lot better (and more red) in the dream about William than it does in present time.

Second ep was 100 times better, but I'm far from convinced S10 was a good idea. Everything's still off a bit. And I know Duchovny's signature acting style is sleepwalking, but he's going full comatose. Having said that, still pretty damn excited about the DARIN MORGAN ep next week.

Yeah apparently.

Oh well, regardless the second episode was much better than the first.

Like everyone else though, with only 4 episodes left, it either makes me worried they're going to rush too much of the story stuff, or excited for the possibility that they might be secretly planning more episodes.

They must be planning something else. I have no idea how they'd wrap up a new conspiracy arc, unless they leave it wide open going into something else. I don't know.

• Like 1

I just finished the two episodes. The first one felt more like a reason to re-establish everyone than a good premise; I didn't get the feeling that what you saw of the alien backstory is a new one, it's just a continuation of the one in the previous series, I'm not even sure the players have changed all that much given the phenomenal last shot of that episode. I don't get why people are confused about the mythology when nothing new has been said in this first episode, it's all been established prior.

The second episode had its moments but still feels like Duchovny and Anderson taking fans on a sight seeing tour of best of X-files rather than having settled into a cohesive plot or show. Maybe I'm still adjusting to the new look which is way too bright; I miss the shadowy cinematography and the music is also downplayed far too much. It feels like they had to make a lot of concessions to Fox for this series and dumb it down a bit. I'm hoping things will get settled in more for the next episodes.

Edited by Bumblefeet
  • Like 1

I always loved the relationship of Mulder and Scully and it's nice to see it's still there.

As for the storyline, not sure if it's believable to me, but interesting none the less. I know I will miss the show again when it's over, but David D will be back in Aquarius

Maybe Fox will consider continuing the X Files if the two stars want to do it.

9 hours ago, AtariLegend said:

For those that loved the latest self-parody episode, just remember that this kind of nonsense in season 7 almost killed it back in the day.

Uh no. Darin Morgan's episodes are legendary and it was a throwback to the comedic MOTW eps of the first four seasons, not S7.