Indie Folk/Alt Country/Americana Thread

bt88

I have Lone Bellow...on my spotify queue for today.

What did you think of The Lone Bellow material you listened to?

I enjoyed it. It was more soulful than I expected. I actually heard a lot of similarities to Lake Street Dive and Delta Spirit. The new one is a little lower energy which is totally fine, it was good. Just kind of a "mood album" ya know? I see them as good porch music on a summer night. Thanks for the rec.

Also, unrelated, but this band is rather Skynyrdy in their way

Edited by bt88

Reverend Horton Heat, i know them, they opened for The Pistols in 02, i bought their album off the strength of that, was really good too.

The rev is a cool, crazy guy. I bet they fit right in opening for them.

Edited by J Dog

Been really into this band, indie folk, heavy on the indie. A little angsty but good lyrics and very catchy

John Darnielle is the man. Did you hear the new concept album he made around pro wrestling? It works better than you'd possibly imagine based on that description.

Been really into this band, indie folk, heavy on the indie. A little angsty but good lyrics and very catchy

John Darnielle is the man. Did you hear the new concept album he made around pro wrestling? It works better than you'd possibly imagine based on that description.

That sounds amazing :lol:

^^^Yep, definitely liked the new Blackberry Smoke too. theyre kind of oddly popular now huh?

Whitey Morgan and the 78s put out a new record this week and I think it's spectacular. it's country in the way of Merle Haggard and George Jones.

Damn. That Whitey Morgan is good. Gonna have to check that out.

^^^Yep, definitely liked the new Blackberry Smoke too. theyre kind of oddly popular now huh?

They are aren't they. They keep doing multiple shows a year at the House of Blues where I'm at, and all the shows end up sold out.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

^^^^Kind of reminds me of the Pistol Annies. I like sassy chicks like that.

Yelawolf isn't alt country or folk or anything, but I like him and thought he did a good job on his new album mixing in some country flavor.

• 6 months later...

I'm British, Americana is great, but doesn't bestow any glory or identity to me, I'm a foreigner/alien to it.

So WITHOUT going down my traditional local folk music/The Damned, The Clash, The Sex Pistols, Republica... (Punk rock is the closest thing I have to folk art that I've got)! - So bare with me :).. This is my only counterpart to any Americana sense of pride that I have, my 'This Land Is Your Land' if you life...

- please don't laugh.

I think as long as it's acoustic driven you could throw in bands like Pogues, Of Monsters and Men, and Mumford and Sons, or Sweden's First Aid Kit. Flogging Molly were a hybrid and count them.

I'd include Al Stewart and Billy Bragg, esp. the album he did with Wilco where they did all the unfinished Woody Guthrie songs.

This one's become a favorite though

http://www.npr.org/2015/12/15/459670044/songs-we-love-zane-campbell-layaway-plan

Edited by dalsh327