The Late Show with Stephen Colbert

downzy

Anyone watch?

Thought it was great. Some bits didn't land (the Les Moonves/Mentalist schtick was funny the first time, not so much the second or third time), but overall thought it was off to a great start. The Trump/Oreo Cookie bit was probably the funniest bit of the evening. Thought the interviews were funny as well.

Was surprised how similar Colbert was to his character on the Colbert Report.

What did everyone else think?

(FYI, yes, in case anyone was wondering, this was why I didn't get around to announcing the contest winners last night :D)

Anyone else excited for the first show next week?

Looks like it might get a little contentious with the bullshit Jeb Bush's campaign is attempting:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h0rZAc3pOm4

Those damn evil republicans!!!!

Good thing we've got a fair and unbiased guy like yourself to point out the bullshit from both sides of the American political coin. ?

Looks like it might get a little contentious with the bullshit Jeb Bush's campaign is attempting:

Good thing we've got a fair and unbiased guy like yourself to point out the bullshit from both sides of the American political coin.

...where did he even reference Jeb's political party there?

Also I thought it was a great, but slightly uneven opening. I'm sure it'll get better with time (as the Colbert Report did). Also wasn't Kendrick Lamar suppose to be the guest musician?

Good thing we've got a fair and unbiased guy like yourself to point out the bullshit from both sides of the American political coin.

That's not what this thread is about. It's about a late night talk show in which a political candidate attempted to use the first episode as an opportunity to raise funds without seeking permission. Show me another candidate who does that and I'll mock them as well.

• Like 1

Also I thought it was a great, but slightly uneven opening. I'm sure it'll get better with time (as the Colbert Report did). Also wasn't Kendrick Lamar suppose to be the guest musician?

Kendrick Lamar was on it last night (haven't watched the episode yet, but heard he performed a medley).

Thought it was a good first show. Liked the Trump/Oreo bit as well. Enjoyed the performance at the end. Looking forward to it going forward.

Kendrick Lamar was on it last night (haven't watched the episode yet, but heard he performed a medley).

Thought it was a good first show. Liked the Trump/Oreo bit as well. Enjoyed the performance at the end. Looking forward to it going forward.

Yep. Saw Kendrick last night and he was awesome. Incredible performance, though I hate hearing it censored...makes it a bit more awkward.

Anyone notice how similar Stephen is to the character, despite him saying he wouldn't? It's like a cable-version of the character. Still interesting, but I'd rather he'd rather go full in on it or drop it completely.

Edit: Donald Trump has apparently agreed to come on the show on September 22nd :lol:

Edited by Crazyman
  • Like 1

That's not what this thread is about. It's about a late night talk show in which a political candidate attempted to use the first episode as an opportunity to raise funds without seeking permission. Show me another candidate who does that and I'll mock them as well.

Democrats would never do that. They don't play dirty. Only those damn evil republicans.

Like I said. I agreed with you (before you even posted). I'm glad we have a non-biased guy like you to point out the "bullshit" thrown out there - mainly by those damn republicans.

On a real note. You honestly think you judge both political parties with the same non-bias attention? When I saw who was on the show and saw this topic I knew - 100% knew - that you would have a negative comment about Bush.

Which is 100% your right. Hate away. But damn, dude. Why not just own it? Don't say you aren't biased when 94.73% of your political posts are bashing one party. Why not just own who you are?

Anyway. Sorry to derail the topic. You can have the last word. I probably have missed the hundreds of posts where you bash democrats and praise republican ideas or actions.

Haven't seen this show. Much too busy to spend my evenings watching late night talk shows. He seems like a good guy, hope his show does well and fans enjoy it.

Democrats would never do that. They don't play dirty. Only those damn evil republicans.

Like I said. I agreed with you (before you even posted). I'm glad we have a non-biased guy like you to point out the "bullshit" thrown out there - mainly by those damn republicans.

On a real note. You honestly think you judge both political parties with the same non-bias attention? When I saw who was on the show and saw this topic I knew - 100% knew - that you would have a negative comment about Bush.

Which is 100% your right. Hate away. But damn, dude. Why not just own it? Don't say you aren't biased when 94.73% of your political posts are bashing one party. Why not just own who you are?

Anyway. Sorry to derail the topic. You can have the last word. I probably have missed the hundreds of posts where you bash democrats and praise republican ideas or actions.

Haven't seen this show. Much too busy to spend my evenings watching late night talk shows. He seems like a good guy, hope his show does well and fans enjoy it.

Where did I say I wasn't biased relating to political parties/candidates/ideologies? Everyone is biased, it's what enables people to pick certain candidates over another. The question is really why am I biased (which I have my reasons, it's not arbitrary), but that's not really for this topic of conversation.

I've made no bones about the fact that I'm no fan of Hillary. But in the context of this thread, in that it's about The Late Show with Stephen Colbert, why would I discuss Hillary Clinton when it was Jeb Bush's campaign who shamelessly used the work another person to further his fundraising efforts? As I mentioned in my first response to you, find me another candidate who attempts to fundraise from his or her appearance on a television show without seeking permission or squaring it with the host or producers and I'll mock them just as I'm mocking Jeb.

The Biden interview was great, but I thought Wednesday was a better episode as a whole. Missed Tuesday because my DVR fucked up.

It's been a little uneven at times, but there's a lot of potential. I had high expectations for his interviews, but surprised that they've been the strongest element of the show thus far.

Perhaps try to torrent the first episode as it's been the best so far.

• Like 1

The show has been all over the place, but I think it will settle soon. From what I've seen, I think its just gonna be a watered down Colbert Report, which honestly we should have all expected. Thats not bad for network to distinguish itself from the other late night shows, and the fact that they tried so hard to say "Colbert is different! This is real!" made me think they're using a new angle to promo him when really it'll be the same thing.

I totally agree, the Biden interview was the best thing this week. Was the perfect compliment to the AWFUL Scarlett Johannsen interview, which was just horrible. Biden had the perfect tone, and I think if he honed that he'd make a pretty good spot for him in network late night right now. He'll be the guy that can be really funny, but isn't a kiss ass, and is smart enough to ask the good questions to the right people. Basically a lesser Letterman, as opposed to Fallon who is like Leno to the max. Kimmel is fine but has kind of become middle of the road Hollywood at this point, and the Late Late people have failed to impress me or make an impact at this point.

Honestly, I think Stephen's next real test will be Donald Trump. He's the perfect person to talk to him right now, and I think if he really nails that interview it'll be really good for his show. I could see him being the guy the politicians go to, and with Donald being so outspoken, I'll be interested to see Stephen's approach. I don't think he'll be totally condescending but I think we'll get a bit of Letterman in terms of snarkiness and I think it may be the footing he needs.

• Like 2

Good points Gunsfanoldie. I do agree with your assessment about Colbert's interview style. If you watched the outtakes of his Bush interview, you get the sense that he's not willing to be a doormat for politicians. At the same time, he was respectful and charming without coming off as too condescending. Plus he knows his stuff about politics. When Bush talked about gun control issue being a states-issue versus a national matter, Colbert wisely pointed out that the right to bear arms is expressed in the Constitution, a national document. Someone on say MSNBC or CNN might have pushed that point further when Bush gave a weak response, but Colbert just moved on.

• Like 1

Totally. He's got enough wit and smarts to push back, and I think at this point he's sort of testing how far he can go. He hasn't really been given a Trump to go full out on, cause as you mention the Bush interview was pretty good, but with it being Colbert's first show and Bush trying to be appealing, you knew Stephen wasn't gonna grill him. I'm not sure that'll be the case with Trump.

Also, now that I think about it, I kind of see Stephen maybe being the network friendly Bill Maher to an extent. There's stuff I really like about Maher and stuff I hate, the main one being that despite Maher having the smarts he's always just as smug as the people he's talking to. I've never really heard him say "you have a good point, maybe I was wrong." He's always got a fact in his back pocket that helps his agenda or he just completely tunes the guest out. So while I appreciate the "no holds barred" aspect of Real Time, I could definitely see Stephen being a similar type of guy, who knows his shit and knows it well, but he's also always gonna be a little more respectful and lighter. Which personally in turn I think will lead to more constructive discussions.

• Like 1

I'm a Conan fan and with the departure of late night hosts like Letterman and Craig Ferguson, I thought the late night landscape would become pretty dreary, with Kimmel and Fallon being ok at times but hard for me to sit through a full show. In that regard it's good to have a Colbert liven it up.

And please keep Jay Leno from ever appearing on TV again.

• Like 1