Ritchie Blackmore's Rainbow

Silent Jay

On 6/19/2016 at 9:19 PM, moreblack said:

"Hail Hail Rock and Roll" was 30 years ago and he was a "young" 60. It seems like 75 is where the players start to diminish. Even though Les Paul played into his 90s and could hit the notes, he played a lot slower. John McLaughlin and Jeff Beck are still great players (and knew Ritchie "back in the day"). 

Ritchie did say he's dealing with arthritis, but he's playing stuff he hasn't played in years, and maybe he didn't feel like he needed to rehearse. 

Birmingham Full Concert in HD 1080. June 25th 2016.
1. Over the Rainbow (Judy Garland cover)
2. Highway Star 
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mbWQtl5RzJs
3. Spotlight Kid
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MQGfmN7271A
4. Mistreated
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TDrDYn0a3tk
5. Since You Been Gone (Russ Ballard cover)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VvGy6HF8tfM
6. Man on the Silver Mountain
7. Soldier of Fortune
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uNbH7X6JOBw
8. Difficult to Cure (with Drum and Keyboard solos)
Part 1 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zqy4WrTilLY
Part 2 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qeW0zTPjgL0
9. Catch the Rainbow
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HotXP1KcLZU
10. Perfect Strangers
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZPfsw_JFy6s
11. Long Live Rock 'n' Roll
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-BVgOuUMGWk
12. Child in Time
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NKcKSAKSjuE
13. Stargazer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C9bJ143LF2s
14. Black Night
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vrkjmbrsTAg
Encore:
15. Burn
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w8bCqQXLxfY
16. Smoke on the Water
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yv26_iLnOeE

Edited by moreblack
  • Like 1

I tend to agree with Hamilton but then again you never know what you will get with Ritchie when he goes on stage...Depending on his mood he can either be brilliant or flat and distracted....

He is also right about Ritchie not wanting other people on stage with him...From what I ahve read he particualry hated cameras on stage.

At a 1993 Birmingham NEC show he threw a fit about the film crew on stage and came on late for the opening number and then threw water at the camera man 

And at California Jam he beat a TV camera with his guitar  as it got too close and had to flee the venue afterwards as they wanted to hold him for damages

That being said I would still pay to see him as he is one of my guitar heroes and would love to see him one last time play rock..........

4 hours ago, Slash787 said:

This singer is really good, I heard his cover of a song a few years back and it was good and now he sounds much better.

Is that blackmore's wife on the backing vocals? 

He does the Dio material well but I am not impressed with his singing of the Gillan era songs.......I believe that is Blackmore's wife signing background

58 minutes ago, classicrawker said:

He does the Dio material well but I am not impressed with his singing of the Gillan era songs.......I believe that is Blackmore's wife signing background

Yeah but still over all its not bad, I was expecting something worse, but well its way better than the gypsy shit he does with his wife. 

19 hours ago, Slash787 said:

but well its way better than the gypsy shit he does with his wife.

Don't know about that, sounds like his playing style suits better that stuff, than it does the loud rock these days. He's still a bloody good player, but he's not got the speed or dexterity from the old days. But you put an acoustic in his hands and he's magic still.

• 2 weeks later...

Dutch radio station Radio Veronica has uploaded a brand new interview with legendary DEEP PURPLE and RAINBOW guitarist Ritchie Blackmore.

On what made him decide to play the recent RAINBOW comeback shows:

Ritchie: "Besides money, I heard [new RAINBOW] singer, Ronnie [Romero, who is originally from Chile but now settled in Madrid, Spain], singing on YouTube. Candy [Ritchie's wife, Candice Night] had played it to me. She said, 'What to do you think of this guy?' And I don't go on the computer very much; I'm too old for that stuff. And Candy is often going on YouTube or whatever, and she said, 'He's singing some of your old songs, the RAINBOW songs.' And I heard them, and I went, 'Wow! This guy is really good. He's exciting.' And there had been some talk about reforming RAINBOW with David Coverdale and a few others — Glenn Hughes… Although they are friends of mine, I wasn't urgently involved in it. I was hesitating for probably a good part of a year before I kind of decided I wasn't gonna do it — until I heard this singer. As soon as I heard the singer, he had such a good voice, so much vitality, and that excited me. I thought, 'Wow! He's singing all the old songs, but he's doing it so well — old hard rock.' It was exciting to hear."

On whether he received offers for more than three RAINBOW comeback shows:

Ritchie: "Yes. Many. But I wanted to see how the three went. If they were disastrous and we had accepted more, it was gonna be awkward. We might do a few more shows again."

On whether he enjoyed the three RAINBOW comeback shows so far:

Ritchie: "I enjoyed especially the last one in England. The first two were a little bit intense, because we hadn't played together… we hadn't done a lot of rehearsing, so the first two shows were a bit hectic and chaotic. But the last one in Birmingham was… obviously, we'd played two shows at that point, and that seemed to work, to me. And it was great to see all the old people… I mean, it was so weird how… I think it was twenty thousand people… It sold out in fifteen minutes. And I kind of wondered who they thought was playing, 'cause when I got to the auditorium, it was so vast that I thought, 'Maybe somebody else is playing this show tonight.'"

On whether it was difficult for him to put together a setlist for the first three RAINBOW comeback shows:

Ritchie: "No. [It was] very easy, in a way. We had about fifteen songs that were very obvious songs to play, like 'Catch The Rainbow'. And we incorporated a few DEEP PURPLE songs — 'Black Night', 'Smoke [On The Water]', 'Highway Star' — of which some of the fans said, 'Why did you do those DEEP PURPLE songs?' And I would say, 'Why not?' And they said, 'Well, we thought it was just gonna be RAINBOW. We would prefer to hear [more] RAINBOW songs.' Which I thought was kind of ironic again. I'm thinking, 'Wow! We just threw three songs in by DEEP PURPLE when they wanted more [RAINBOW].' And I noticed when they clapped, they weren't clapping so hard for DEEP PURPLE [songs]. They said, 'We hear that every year,' 'cause [the current lineup of] PURPLE goes around [on tour]. So the next time, if we go out and we do anything, I would do probably ninety-five percent RAINBOW songs; that's what they seem to want to hear. And it didn't occur to me. I just naturally assumed they wanted to hear everything."

Read more at http://www.blabbermouth.net/news/ritchie-blackmore-says-rainbow-might-do-a-few-more-shows-reveals-setlist-will-be-95-rainbow-songs/#zc7GXVHMyxztvI4v.99

2 hours ago, Silent Jay said:

Dutch radio station Radio Veronica has uploaded a brand new interview with legendary DEEP PURPLE and RAINBOW guitarist Ritchie Blackmore.

On what made him decide to play the recent RAINBOW comeback shows:

Ritchie: "Besides money...

No need to read further!

At least he is honest I suppose?

• 2 months later...

Quite a shame they didn't rehearse that much but....

rainbowmemoriesinrockdvd_0.jpg

CD Disc 1

01. Highway Star
02. Spotlight Kid 
03. Mistreated 
04. 16th Century Greensleeves 
05. Since You Been Gone 
06. Man On The Silver Mountain 
07. Catch The Rainbow 
08. Difficult To Cure (Beethoven's Ninth) 
09. Perfect Strangers 
10. Stargazer

CD Disc 2

11. Long Live Rock 'N' Roll 
12. Child In Time / Woman From Tokyo 
13. Black Night 
14. Smoke On The Water

Which will be released via Eagle Rock Entertainment on DVD+2CD, Blu-ray+2CD, and digital formats on November 18. A deluxe version (DVD, Blu-ray and 2CD in a 48-page hardback photobook), along with a 3LP version (180-gram vinyl), will be available as an import on December 2.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 19.7.2016 at 6:45 PM, moreblack said:

It'll make you do funny things. Like play Chinese Democracy songs... Or take back people you once considered a cancer.

Funny. I didn't know that just because you do something for mainly money, that means you can't possibly like doing it. Even take one Chinese tune Slash plays live, the title track, the way he played that outro in Coachella sure made it seem like he enjoyed it a lot and even if he didn't, it sounds great. And Axl didn't even ask Slash to learn the Chinese material, he did it on his own accord.

Slash wanted back in Guns regardless. When Duff joined them in 2010 he was kinda bummed out about it. It's also playing to bigger crowds and maybe get a crack at putting his mark on another Guns album. So not just about the money for Slash imo, but maybe it is for Ritchie. Different people. Ritchie is pretty satisfied on his own, but Slash  belongs in Guns. Even if he found The Conspirators. His ideal is to be in Guns. Artistic ideal, not only commercial.

Edited by Rovim
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/3/2016 at 8:36 AM, Rovim said:

Funny. I didn't know that just because you do something for mainly money, that means you can't possibly like doing it. Even take one Chinese tune Slash plays live, the title track, the way he played that outro in Coachella sure made it seem like he enjoyed it a lot and even if he didn't, it sounds great. And Axl didn't even ask Slash to learn the Chinese material, he did it on his own accord.

Slash wanted back in Guns regardless. When Duff joined them in 2010 he was kinda bummed out about it. It's also playing to bigger crowds and maybe get a crack at putting his mark on another Guns album. So not just about the money for Slash imo, but maybe it is for Ritchie. Different people. Ritchie is pretty satisfied on his own, but Slash  belongs in Guns. Even if he found The Conspirators. His ideal is to be in Guns. Artistic ideal, not only commercial.

^^^^^ this

Rock is dead. Chuck Berry was wrong. It was all about money. That is all it was ever about. That is what it was ever all about it from its nascent period. When those hippies were at woodstock, that is what they were thinking, not ''look at Nam and civil rights'', but, ''look at the money I can make when 1984 comes around and we can all reunite and be on a DVD in HD''. It is truly dead as a genre. When Johnny Rotten was shocking establishment-Britain he was probably already thinking of the money he can make from trash tv and butter adverts. When Guns were in a stinky garage creating brilliant rock n' roll, they were just thinking, ''By 1991 I can obtain that mansion and sue my bandmates'' and all of the cack which transpired with that band - which just went down the shitter to be honest (and this reunion is a cack stain; I'm sorry, it is shite - absolute poo. Nothing interesting in the slightest)

And to be honest Izzy can fuck off because he is making his complaint about money, so he is just another one of them really.

Rock n' roll is truly the most miserable music ever created. Never has a genre in musical history lacked so much conviction when the '80s arrived. Never has a genre felt less convinced of itself. Never has a genre sold out so much in a rather small time span. You can look at the annals of music and there is no precedent. Beethoven was creating odd weird music at the end of his career, but with rock It was all ever about money, the elvis hairdo, the guitar solos, the riffs - that is all what it was ever about: money. They were all going, ''if I adopt this hairstyle and do this music, it might get me a couple of mansions''.

VIP Lithographs are the conclusion of that. From Elvis swinging his hips, we arrived at that!! Fans buying wanky overpriced skulll posters for $500 to place on their wall in some sort of sad commemoration in their middle class homes.

This was meant to be about rebellion!!! This was meant to change politics. Shake the establishment up. In the end it did nothing but make a money for a bunch of fat people in wigs singing hits (because they are all too lazy to record new albums).

This is no longer about music!!

You know what the only true rocker was?

GG Allin. He might of smelt of poo a bit but he was genuine and died by his convictions.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

And to be honest Izzy can fuck off because he is making his complaint about money, so he is just another one of them really.

You are way off. Izzy wanted to play with Guns in 2012 for the Rock N' Roll Hall of fame. When he saw it was going to be pathetic cause Axl wasn't gonna show, he fuckin' bailed.

With this reunion he was already writing tunes before with Duff, he talked to Axl and I think he just wanted a fair deal and he didn't think Axl offered enough cause he wasn't going to give him an equal share.

Does that mean Izzy is not TRUE ROCK N' ROLL cause he didn't want to get fucked in the ass by the 3 of them, seeing them getting more. I think he had enough of that with Axl cutting Illusion salaries in half. He started Gn'R with Axl. It's a matter of principal for Izzy imo.

You're forgetting it's also a job and in this industry you gotta fight to get paid for it. Izzy didn't think it was enough to be even fair. I'm surprised you can't see it.

Izzy is the real deal, and he stayed that way. You shouldn't write him off just cause he wanted to have an equal share in the band he fuckin' founded. It's not just about the money for Izzy, but he's not an idiot.

I'm sure Axl thought his offer to Izzy was fair though.

Edited by Rovim

Just now, Rovim said:

You are way off. Izzy wanted to play with Guns in 2012 for the Rock N' Roll Hall of fame. When he saw it was going to be pathetic cause Axl wasn't gonna show, he fuckin' bailed.

With this reunion he was already writing tunes before with Duff, he talked to Axl and I think he just wanted a fair deal and he didn't think Axl offered enough cause he wasn't going to give him an equal share.

Does that mean Izzy is not TRUE ROCK N' ROLL cause he didn't want to get fucked in the ass by the 3 of them, seeing them getting more. I think he had enough of that. He started Gn'R with Axl. It's a matter of principal for Izzy imo.

You're forgetting it's also a job and in this industry you gotta fight to get paid for it. Izzy didn't think it was enough to be even fair. I'm surprised you can't see it.

Izzy is the real deal, and he stayed that way. You should write him off just cause he wanted to have an equal share in the band he fuckin' founded. It's not just about the money for Izzy, but he's not an idiot.

I'm sure Axl thought his offer to Izzy was fair though.

I simply do not want to debate a band who began in a sweaty garage, and created (by far) their greatest music in that garage, on those terms. Money? I cannot even be bothered to argue any sort of point either way to be honest. In an ideal world, Axl, Slash, Duff, Izzy and Adler would be playing for half of what they are currently offering, and writing new material. They are all wankers at the end of the day. Stradlin is probably a millionaire because of his royalties. Why does he want more money? Axl and Slash are certainly millionaires. Why are they ripping off their fans and not writing music together? They are all cunts at the end of the day.

To be honest, I think my favourite member is Adler.

26 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

I simply do not want to debate a band who began in a sweaty garage, and created (by far) their greatest music in that garage, on those terms. Money? I cannot even be bothered to argue any sort of point either way to be honest. In an ideal world, Axl, Slash, Duff, Izzy and Adler would be playing for half of what they are currently offering, and writing new material. They are all wankers at the end of the day. Stradlin is probably a millionaire because of his royalties. Why does he want more money? Axl and Slash are certainly millionaires. Why are they ripping off their fans and not writing music together? They are all cunts at the end of the day.

To be honest, I think my favourite member is Adler.

You gotta get paid for what you do. If you have something of value to sell like Izzy does, you don't give it away for free or half price. Especially when it's a huge insult to him probably. It's personal, his band too. Why is he getting less? is it his greed, or someone elses? or neither. Just couldn't agree on the right deal. They see it too differently him and Axl I think.

Slash may need to pay whores.

Duff has a lot of money I think, he is a pretty good business man. He loves money as well.

Axl loves money. LOVES. This I Love was written about money, not a whore. He will never say goodbye.

Izzy needs it to buy more bikes and supplies for road trips.

Edited by Rovim