It's a great time to be an AC/DC fan

Powerage5

2 hours ago, Blake Sabbath said:

Is anyone else concerned that Axl will struggle to replicate that performance from Lisbon night after night for the rest of the dates? 

I mean, that'd gotta be the most he's consistently strained his vocal chords song after song in some time right?

Or can we simply put his newfound raspy vocal stamina down to a shit load of rehearsal?!

How much strain can he give his vocals before his voice starts to falter or worse he has to cancel an appearance?!

Sorry to bring the doom and gloom, but it's a topic that won't go away I think, especially with Axl's age and the incredible workload he faces this summer and beyond 

Axl himself has said that these are some of the most challenging songs he's ever sung. But, I'm not concerned for a few reasons -  

• firstly, from our experience of the last few years, we know he gets better as tours go on and he uses his vocal cords more. So,I think that all those rehearsals with the band got him to the point where he is now - in great vocal form. Also, Angus and co. really take this stuff seriously so we know that Uncle Axl will be made to rehearse as the tour goes on and not rest on his laurels and also, he's not going to dick around, because of the respect he has for AC/DC and because he won't want mud on his face.
  • secondly, as many have pointed out, these songs just seem to sit better with Axl's vocal range. He's almost always put in a stellar performance on WLR and Riff Raff with GN'R too. He is far, far more comfortable with the Brian material than anyone expected him to be and they fit him perfectly. It's only something like TNT which doesn't sound as impressive - and I think that the transition to a more spoken, casually sung delivery after screaming on some of the other songs, might be the cause.
  • thirdly, for the first few shows at least and possibly for the greater part of the tour, we are not going to see him running and sprinting side to side. Or, maybe ever. He just doesn't have to put himself under pressure to perform all his frontman moves, because Angus is the visual focal point of AC/DC and I don't think he's going to try and upstage him. At the most, we'll probably see some snake dancing and swinging around of the mike stand. I've always thought that with GN'R, the physical exertion he puts into the running around leaves him winded. So, its just great that at 54, he'll be conserving his energy to focus on the singing.
  • fourthly, by just not having to be the 'leader' of the band, Axl just takes a helluva lot of pressure of himself. He's singing these songs as much as a fan, as a replacement. So, he's bringing a lot of passion to his singing. But the big thing is, he just has to worry about his singing and not a thousand other things. Angus will have that covered.

So, I think that as long as he is well rehearsed and has to focus on just his singing, he'll be fine. I really do believe and hope that the experience with AC/DC will leave him rejuvenated and in strong vocal form and optimism for the GN'R tour and the songs he'll sing then.

Edited by The Archer
  • Like 3

11 minutes ago, GNRfan2008 said:

Was that before Guns started opening for Aerosmith in the summer? What was the venue? You are one lucky person to have seen them in their prime.

Yes it was a couple of months before the Aerosmith tour.  May 11, 1988.  Last headlining show before the Maiden tour.   Incredible show, Slash even says in his book that that short run of theater headlining shows were some of their best ever.

This was the venue here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Orpheum_Theatre_(Boston)

Yes, very lucky. Also very old. :lol:

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Blake Sabbath said:

Is anyone else concerned that Axl will struggle to replicate that performance from Lisbon night after night for the rest of the dates? 

I mean, that'd gotta be the most he's consistently strained his vocal chords song after song in some time right?

Or can we simply put his newfound raspy vocal stamina down to a shit load of rehearsal?!

How much strain can he give his vocals before his voice starts to falter or worse he has to cancel an appearance?!

Sorry to bring the doom and gloom, but it's a topic that won't go away I think, especially with Axl's age and the incredible workload he faces this summer and beyond 

I worries me a bit too. I'm not sure if 1) he is really straining himself to bring the rasp, or if 2) consistent rehearsing brought his voice to a whole forgotten level. Maybe it's both 1) and 2).

I guess we will see as the tour progresses. The thing is, this is old school rasp. There is the thing about his range, but listening to the show, he pulls middle range rasp on quite a few occasions. I think he knows what's he doing, but if he is going all in for a nasty tradeoff, let's enjoy it while it lasts.

If you want to say its a good time to be an Axl fan, then sure, I would agree.  I definitely give him props for a commendable job so far and keeping to his word with trying his best to do the songs justice.  But for me personally, any band I'm a diehard fan of has never been about just one guy.  Hence the word 'band'.  It's always been about the collective, a group of musicians who came together and created something special, something that made me want to be their fan.  That lightening in a bottle shit that people talk about.  So much like myself and others who didn't consider the last 15 years to be Guns N Roses, the feelings are no different for this Angus project.  

For me, as a lifelong AC/DC fan,  I cannot agree that this is a great time.  The band that I've known forever no longer exists.  And unlike GNR, there is zero hope that it will ever be the same again.  It's actually very sad.  There's no rule that says being a big fan of both these bands makes them inclusive now.   They're different bands and I'm a fan for different reasons.   

12 minutes ago, Patience 4 Axl said:

If you want to say its a good time to be an Axl fan, then sure, I would agree.  I definitely give him props for a commendable job so far and keeping to his word with trying his best to do the songs justice.  But for me personally, any band I'm a diehard fan of has never been about just one guy.  Hence the word 'band'.  It's always been about the collective, a group of musicians who came together and created something special, something that made me want to be their fan.  That lightening in a bottle shit that people talk about.  So much like myself and others who didn't consider the last 15 years to be Guns N Roses, the feelings are no different for this Angus project.  

For me, as a lifelong AC/DC fan,  I cannot agree that this is a great time.  The band that I've known forever no longer exists.  And unlike GNR, there is zero hope that it will ever be the same again.  It's actually very sad.  There's no rule that says being a big fan of both these bands makes them inclusive now.   They're different bands and I'm a fan for different reasons.   

AC/DC will always be AC/DC  and there could be no better replacement for Mal than Stevie. I hope that we'll hear some songs from the next album co-written by him. 

Edited by Sosso

1 hour ago, Patience 4 Axl said:

It is definitely sad, but I think GN'R imploding for 20+ years is one of the biggest wastes in music history. There is not much hope for GN'R fans. The boys wasted a huge chunk of their prime and nothing they do going forward will recapture the old magic. 

AC/DC had an amazing run from 1974-2014. Pray for good health for Malcolm and Brian. Remember the good times. There are many of them to look back on for AC/DC. At least we can say they gave their fans 110% for a long long time. 

i posted this in the other thread but I have to post it here too...this is one of the great vocal performances of his career...to have the control and power to bring menace to a song that deserves it like this is what's going to make Axl such a hot ticket this summer. He is absolutely bringing it right now...if this is the guy carrying the torch for rock and roll right now then it's in good hands, it's going to be something else when he's back on his feet

• Like 2