If That Ain't Country

Fitha_whiskey

43 minutes ago, Mansin Humanity said:

Some great stuff in this thread. Since Chris Stapleton and Sturgill Simpson have been covered, thought I'd throw another name in here for newer stuff that I dig:

Love that guy. Hell of a songwriter. I hated when he left Drive-by Truckers. I don't like anything they've done after him.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Mansin Humanity said:

Funny thing is, I really only know Isbell's solo stuff. What Drive-by Truckers album would you recommend?

All three with Isbell are great.

The Dirty South.

Decoration Day.

Blessing and a Curse.

I rank 'em how I listed them. Dirty South is the place to start. Southern Rock Opera is the only non-Isbell Truckers album I like.

• Like 1

In this era of popular music, I don't think Country has ever been this popular. Not even during the height of Johnny Cash's career or back in the 70's when Country Rock dominated the Western US. I got this new boss at work, he loves "Classic Country" but despises the main stream. Bunch of catchy hooks and not as inspiring lyrics. He's got a point, but these modern artists are basically the new rock stars now. And Country and Rock has always had a shared history together.

Eventually it will go out of style. 

• Like 1