The Official Blu-Ray Thread

Zint

Diabolique (Criterion Collection).

Nice!

The remake with Sharon Stone is not well regarded, but I liked it a lot. I have it on DVD (there is no Blu Ray as far as I could find). Always wanted to see the original. It will be interesting to compare the two.

So I spent several hours trying to figure out my system today, before I finally gave up and called Sony. Long story short, turns out the TV we got a year ago doesn't have any HDMI ports that support an Audio Return Channel. What the actual fuck?!?

The Onkyo 2012 receiver I bought this year has a hdmi audio return input from t.v., but the LED t.v. does not have hdmi audio return (older model).

The way I got around it was with my pvr..it has hdmi audio out.

I just turned the tv speakers off and use the pvr as the hdmi audio source for t.v.

P5 I think you mentioned you pvr'd the Stones concert?

If a pvr is your audio source from t.v., check the back of the pvr for an hdmi audio out.

Regardless, it comes down to what CR said. The blu-ray player has to be "told" what the audio "in" format is for that input on the blu-ray deck.

ie: if it's labelled input 2 (for example) you have to go into system tools (or whatever it might be called ) on the blu-ray deck and look for the audio settings section and /or settings for "input 2". Whatever cables you are using... rca, digital optical, hdmi etc. you have to select that option for that input.

You also mentioned the t.v. has a receiver audio setting...check in the t.v. system menus to see if the receiver audi setting has been selected (and the t.v. speakers shut off).

Also, if you can find us links to online manuals for that blu-ray deck (and the t.v.) we might be able to help you sort it out.

Thanks, I'll look into all of those points when I get home on Monday!

Yes, because I see lots of noise in real life. Like right now, everything is kind of blurry. Wait a minute, I forgot to put my contacts in!

CD vs. vinyl - I know this isn't the thread for it, but there are things CD does better and there are things vinyl does better. A well recorded CD played back on modern, good quality CD player, will sound fantastic.

I just can't wait to buy DREDD.

Same here, man. Can't wait to watch it again!

Seriously, man. I went and saw it again recently at the discount theatre out here and was just as stoked on it the 2nd time. It's the most no-bullshit, straight to the point, action movie in years. I put only Django Unchained and the Avengers in front of it for top movies this year.

Yep, totally agree. Loved it and can't wait to buy it and watch it again!

Seriously, anyone who likes blu rays is an idiot. VHS was a much better format, with all the noise that went along with it, much more natural looking. A bit like how CDs suck and vinyl records are much better.

A well mastered blu-ray has plenty of natural grain...to the point that it pisses some people off (because the print hasn't been digitally-raped with "noise reduction" etc. to make it look squeaky clean).

The grain reflects the true print of the film, much as was presented when the film first screened in theatres, therefore reflecting it's truest qualities and intent.

Seriously, anyone who likes blu rays is an idiot. VHS was a much better format, with all the noise that went along with it, much more natural looking. A bit like how CDs suck and vinyl records are much better.

So what are you trolling for attention these days as in the CD thread you laughed at vinyl records and called people who like them "old people".....

So what are you trolling for attention these days as in the CD thread you laughed at vinyl records and called people who like them "old people".....

I would say he is being sarcastic right now...

I would say he is being sarcastic right now...

Sarcasm does not translate well on the internet if he is......

CR, I don't need the internet for attention, I'm so good looking I get more than enough attention wherever I go. :awesomeface:

In all seriousness, I love a good blu-ray (LOTR extended edition) provided that the TV is setup in the right way for it to look good.

I also agree with Zint that over-zealous noise compression can ruin things.

Back from Deja Vu Discs. I'm hitting up the three locations in my area during the 25% off sale, trying to upgrade some of my DVDs to BRs.

Didn't find anything I wanted to upgrade, but I picked up these two:

The Amityville Horror

The Others

I said what the hell, it cost $13 in total and they seem like interesting movies.

Amazon.ca have a few good preorders on right now for Criterion blu.

I preordered Badlands, The Blob (original) and the Life and Death of Colonel Blimp for $27 each.

Also preordered Fritz Lang's Ministry Of Fear for $20.

Those prices for Crtierion blu preorders in Canada are almost unheard of..plus free shipping, so I jumped at those right away.

MacGruber (6.99), Tropic Thunder (7.99), Collateral (4.99), Wayne's World (5.99), Truman Show (4.99), and Iron Man 2 (4.99!).

I have 6 Blus coming in the mail. It'll be like a second Christmas.

What did you get?

See above.

And anyone who hasn't seen MacGruber needs to. The picture and sound are supposed to be top notch and it's one of the funniest movies I've ever seen.

My last couple of purchases for a while:

Taxi Driver

Pink Floyd: The Making of Wish You Were Here

----------------

Mallrats

The Bone Collector

Collateral

I hope they do a proper transfer of Tomb Raiders 1 and 2 to BR. I haven't watched either yet, and I know people say they suck. But I like Tomb Raider and it's Angelina Jolie. That's enough for me.

Edited by KBear