The Official Blu-Ray Thread

Zint

So how come some blu rays are full screen all the way through? Then again maybe i am mistaking them for hd rip downloads, still the same question though.

It just depends on how the director filmed it.

For example, Avatar is 1.78:1 (i.e. Full Screen), whereas Drive is 2.35:1 (black bars on the top and bottom, also know as 'widescreen')

Picked up [REC] 3: Genesis on a blind buy while in Canada yesterday. Hated having to do it, but I haven't found a good import to order online and it's not available on Netflix yet, and it hasn't been nearly as warmly received as the first 2. I'll report back on it for all the horror movies buffs after I watch it.

There's a steel for each one and all of them are from Germany.

Region 1 playable?

You should be able to hack your player to Region Free.

For the OPPO blu-ray players is no software hack to make DVD's or blu-rays region free.

You need to add a circuit board to the unit which is a easy install by plug in in a single ribbon cable. It cost anywhere from $69- $159 and can be installed using a screw driver.

http://www.imegstore...e-kit-p-28.html

http://www.bluraychi...p?id_product=24

http://watershade.ne...e-modifications

I bought my OPPO-93 with the pcb already installed and it works perfectly but the install can be done by anyone who can use a screw driver.

If you ever need to send the unit back for warranty work you simply remove the board before shipping it back..

edit: supposedly you can mke the player region free for DVD's with a software hack but I have never tried this but you still need a hardware hack to make blu-rays region free.......

Edited by classicrawker

You can hack some blu-ray players, mostly Panasonic. From Region A to ABC.

True but Zint just bought an OPPO so that option is not available to him..........

Yeah they've started making those for the 103, I'll do it at some point.

I also now have the option of getting the store that sold it to me to install internally.

Correct. The "full screen" scenes are those shot in IMAX (taller image, thus no black bars on a standard widescreen television) whereas the widescreen scenes are shot in the usual anamorphic format which is the most common for big productions (wider shot rather than taller). The screen would actually grow and adjust if you were watching it in an IMAX theater.

Isn't IMAX almost a 1:1 aspect ratio? It's like 1.2:1 or something if I recall.

Something like that, but I can't remember offhand. 1.2:1 sounds right, which makes sense since a lot of films shot on IMAX have to be cropped slightly to fit into the 1.78:1 ratio of the average HDTV since IMAX images are typically taller. I suppose it depends on how it was filmed. Something like Skyfall was enhanced to IMAX after the fact, so that Blu-ray should have its normal 2.40:1 ratio all the way through.

Ahh ok so on the back of the blu ray case it says what aspect ratio it is? 1:78:1 or 2:35:1

Correct. Most Blu-rays and DVDs tend to list the ratio so you'll know beforehand which ones will fill the TV. On old, standard 4:3 tube TVs, 1.78:1 appeared to have small black bars at the top and bottom whereas 2.40:1 would have rather thick black bars taking up most of the screen. Now that all modern HDTVs have a 16:9 ratio, they display 1.78:1 as "full screen" (works out to approximately the same ratio).

Like Sabbath said, it's more or less the directors choice. Sometimes it's a budget thing too (1.78:1 is cheaper). Personally, I prefer 2.40:1 because I love wide shots, especially when the cinematography is as top notch as it is in something like Skyfall. Black bars have never bothered me. When I was younger I didn't realize how much image you lost with VHS when movies were typically cropped for 4:3. Once I got DVD I immediately found an appreciation for widescreen and how things were intentionally shot.