The Official Blu-Ray Thread

Zint

So, will Blu Ray be able to handle Ultra HD or HD4000 or whatever the next thing is called?

If it is 2/3 years away from being widely produced, I don't want to go buying any more Blu Rays if they are just going to be the DVD's of tomorrow.

Only a few current players can upscale to 4K and it really is only a benefit for really big screens and for 3D movies....It will be while before this becomes common, I don't think 2-3 years is realistic for large screen affordable 4K TV's, and I figure I will be ready for a new TV by the time they are affordable enough to buy a decent one.

Here is a good article on 4K (Ultra HD)

http://hometheater.a...-Resolution.htm

Edited by classicrawker

So, will Blu Ray be able to handle Ultra HD or HD4000 or whatever the next thing is called?

If it is 2/3 years away from being widely produced, I don't want to go buying any more Blu Rays if they are just going to be the DVD's of tomorrow.

Try like 6 years.

Just out of interest, how are the TVs and DVD players that "upscale" a DVD to higher resolution? Obviously not Blu-Ray quality, but is the difference noticeable?

From an earlier post I made

There is not as big a difference in quality between watching a DVD compared to a blu-ray on an HD TV, thanks to upscaling, as there was going from VHS to DVD but there is definitely a difference in picture quality especially if you own a larger screen.

Just out of interest, how are the TVs and DVD players that "upscale" a DVD to higher resolution? Obviously not Blu-Ray quality, but is the difference noticeable?

From an earlier post I made

There is not as big a difference in quality between watching a DVD compared to a blu-ray on an HD TV, thanks to upscaling, as there was going from VHS to DVD but there is definitely a difference in picture quality especially if you own a larger screen.

Also, (this used to happen in Bluray's infancy) some Blus are just an upscaled.version of an original DVD master. Fortunately we have www.blu-ray.com now and studios are actually putting some effort into new transfers.

HMV is apparently going under. The Looper steelbook seems to have been picked up by Amazon UK so I've pre-ordered it there, and not only will it be shipped safer, but it's also a little cheaper :)

No inside artwork for that release :(.

I really laughed when I read this:

HMV now in administration

People should just be aware of 2 things:

1) If you receive a damaged or faulty copy from now on, you will not receive a replacement or refund

2) If they charge your card and are then unable to fulfil your order, you will not be refunded.

The way a company operates whilst under administration is quite different to how it operates normally, and certain consumer rights are suspended. If anything goes wrong you would have to apply to the administrator or claim against your credit card issuer.

I'd encourage everyone who has orders in with HMV to consider the above, as I'd hate to see anyone here lose their money in all of this.

Good thing I got my refund for the Cabin in the Woods steel when I did.

I'm not worried about no inside artwork for the Looper steel though, I'll happily make my own, which is usually better anyway.

More Upgrade and Save today:

Taken 2

Leon The Professional

The A-Team

Hook

Gangs of New York

All $5 except for Taken 2, which was $15 and came with a shirt.

Apparently HMV also isn't honoring gift cards anymore. Suddenly I'm very happy I didn't get any of those for Christmas. I've got a points card but I didn't have enough points to redeem anything anyways. I want my $3 back!

It looks like I might have to get the Skyfall steel off of German Amazon then. :lol:

I was still undecided - I was hoping the James standing one (the IMAX poster) was going to find it's way here, so now with HMV's option totally out it looks like I'll definitely be getting it from either German or France Amazon. Just waiting to read somewhere to confirm it's region free. It'd be a nice surprise if the same one found its way to Amazon.com, but so far nothing so I doubt it.

I've been toying with that idea since I want to upgrade my Blu-ray player anyways. I was hoping they'd do a "Disc Only" online release to get the film, sans artwork, to slide right into the Bond 50 set where there's a space. Then I'd buy the nicest steelbook from wherever without worrying about the region locking just to have it for the collection since I'd have a disc to watch the film anyways.

Region coding is the devil.

Also, picked up Fracture and Sleepy Hollow today for $7.88 each. Fracture is a blind buy but I've heard good things about it.

Which player would you recommend, and where do you have to get them from? I don't think I've ever seen one in say Best Buy but I could be wrong.

They don't say outright on the box that they're region free, but I would advise skimming through this thread about which to get:

http://forum.blu-ray.com/showthread.php?t=190357

There are obviously other brands, but the easiest and cheapest that I've seen are in that thread.