We need a cricket thread here

DieselDaisy

30 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

You foolish boy. We were slaughtered by Sussex a few days ago.

I have faith. Durham put up a decent score of 342 besides, you told me the Windies were washed up so I was feeling quite smug until they steamrolled through Pakistan :lol:

23 hours ago, DieselDaisy said:

With overs lost, they are speculating on whether or not we'll see a bit of declaration bowling tomorrow, Glamorgan bowling some rubbish so that Durham can set Glamorgan a target.

So Durham declared on 276 when there's another full day. Why would they do that. Glamorgan 107/3. This sport is crooked.

They're in complete free fall Durham. They were absolutely slaughtered by Sussex last week - at least this match was a close run thing with an attacking declaration by Colly. I've never known them to be this bad. You cannot even completely blame losing Borthwick and Stoneman to Surrey, or even the ECB thing either as Durham recruited South Africa's opener, Stephen Cook, as an overseas and it hasn't worked out for him - at least not in the four-day stuff.

They'll lose Jennings to England in July so it is only going to get worse!

40 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

I have not been keeping up with the one-day stuff but in other news England were skittled out 153, losing six wickets for 20 runs at one stage!

I'm a test cricket man too. I fell in love with it through my grandparents who would watch every England test snoozing and watching snoozing and watching for days :lol: My nan was a big David Gower fan.

The first time I really got gripped watching cricket was England V India when Gooch made 333 and Dickie Bird was hopping about from side to side. A young Mike Atherton opening with Gooch and the hilarity of Angus Fraser and Devon Malcom swinging at a everything wildly at the arse end :lol:

• Like 1

This Champions Trophy starts today, twenty minutes or so time. I'll probably stick it on the radio.

On 29/05/2017 at 7:27 PM, spunko12345 said:

I'm a test cricket man too. I fell in love with it through my grandparents who would watch every England test snoozing and watching snoozing and watching for days :lol: My nan was a big David Gower fan.

The first time I really got gripped watching cricket was England V India when Gooch made 333 and Dickie Bird was hopping about from side to side. A young Mike Atherton opening with Gooch and the hilarity of Angus Fraser and Devon Malcom swinging at a everything wildly at the arse end :lol:

I'm a Gower fan. Played his strokes with a nonchalant elegance.

I like test and county cricket. I go to the county cricket quite often and just sit there lazily with a newspaper, a sandwich and a four-pack. The one-day stuff is good also but I just tend to stick bits of it (the international stuff) on the radio and not really follow it as fanatically. Twenty20 is just a chance to get pissed and laugh at a bunch of mascots.

5 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

Yes.

Is it like baseball then? Teams who figure they're fucked by midseason start auctioning off veterans for young kids?

How do young players get on a team to begin with? Is there a draft? Are there cricket scouts? I remember you said there aren't really youth leagues. Just curious how the talent pipeline works...

1 hour ago, Fitha_whiskey said:

Is it like baseball then? Teams who figure they're fucked by midseason start auctioning off veterans for young kids?

How do young players get on a team to begin with? Is there a draft? Are there cricket scouts? I remember you said there aren't really youth leagues. Just curious how the talent pipeline works...

No draft - at least not in county cricket. Signings: there is a window of, circa thirty or so days, where other clubs can approach players and poach them essentially. A sum is then transferred between the clubs. Each club is allowed one overseas player also, a glitzy signing.

It is not as bad as football. Some teams are a lot homegrown than others. My team for instance have a thriving academy of local players. Others take the piss a bit and are filled with Australians on dodgy UK passports! There is also Kolpak,

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kolpak_ruling

2 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

South Africa, July. They've been pushed back because of the Champions Trophy.

Is there 1 day? I'm looking to replace football matches. I like the highlight shows more but 1 day might fit.