We need a cricket thread here

DieselDaisy

5 minutes ago, Fitha_whiskey said:

My opinion which is admittedly uninformed- way too much offense/ time at bat in cricket vs baseball. 

How is the pitcher not striking everyone out when it has to be hit off a bounce? I'd spin that fucker up there 12 different ways.

Im obviously ignorant to the finer points.

You are arguing with your ally here. If I was a Yank, I'd be into baseball. Bill Bryson's book introduced me to some of the fundamentals on the sport, and indeed sees an analogy with cricket (which he does a good pisstake on). I am sure it is a good game of bat and ball much like cricket.

7 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

You are arguing with your ally here. If I was a Yank, I'd be into baseball. Bill Bryson's book introduced me to some of the fundamentals on the sport, and indeed sees an analogy with cricket (which he does a good pisstake on). I am sure it is a good game of bat and ball much like cricket.

Cool man. And since you capitalized the word Yank, I assume you'd be a New York Yankee fan, and if so- I thereby consider you my friend and brother! :lol:

But anyway- not to sound stupid on a cricket thread- what are the rules on balls n strikes? (For pitches missed or not swung at- not sure of our common vocabulary)

Just now, Fitha_whiskey said:

Cool man. And since you capitalized the word Yank, I assume you'd be a New York Yankee fan, and if so- I thereby consider you my friend and brother! :lol:

But anyway- not to sound stupid on a cricket thread- what are the rules on balls n strikes? (For pitches missed or not swung at- not sure of our common vocabulary)

There is no limit there.

A bowler is bowling an 'over' which consists of six deliveries. The batsman can leave those deliveries (indeed, it is a good batsman who leaves well).

3 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

There is no limit there.

A bowler is bowling an 'over' which consists of six deliveries. The batsman can leave those deliveries (indeed, it is a good batsman who leaves well).

Well no goddamned wonder those games last for 3 days. 

Baseball at least has a walk after 4 balls. And people say baseball is too slow (I don't). 

What is the incentive for the bowler to throw a good one?

Just now, Fitha_whiskey said:

Well no goddamned wonder those games last for 3 days. 

Baseball at least has a walk after 4 balls. And people say baseball is too slow (I don't). 

What is the incentive for the bowler to throw a good one?

5 days haha.

In a test match (there are shorter formats) a bowler is trying to take the batsman's wicket. 

8 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

5 days haha.

In a test match (there are shorter formats) a bowler is trying to take the batsman's wicket. 

Ok. How does he take the wicket? Let's cut to the chase. Is a pitch or bowl judged to be hittable or shit? Or do we just sit around all day watching some limp armed motherfucker throwing 40 ft one hoppers 6 ft outside?

I think you will find cricket a very fine sport. Baseball is a bat and ball game which reveres the aesthetics of a batsman and bowler. Cricket is rather similar. The two go about it a bit differently but they are rather similar. It was Manley, cricket historian and Jamaican PM, who discussed the similarity between the sports and alerted me to the fact that baseball has its genius also.

1 minute ago, Fitha_whiskey said:

Ok. How does he take the wicket? Let's cut to the chase. Is a pitch or bowl judged to be hittable or shit? Or do we just sit around all day watching some limp armed motherfucker throwing 40 ft one hoppers 6 ft outside?

He bowls him (wacks over his stumps) or the batsman hits the ball and is caught by a fielder. There is also something called LBW but I really would not suggest going there currently (it is very complicated). There is also a run out when a fielder wacks over the stumps when the batsmen are between creases - I think there is something similar in baseball, batters running between bases and being 'stumped'.

5 minutes ago, AxlsFavoriteRose said:

um you do understand they are much closer to being British than WE ARE @J Dog??? or didn't they teach you that in the one room school you went to???<_<

I beg your pardon young lady?!? :lol:  You ain't just gonna wear that now are you J, i know you ain't gonna let her jus play you like that!

*stirs the pot lookin' like Gargamel*

:lol:

• Like 2

Y'alls bollocks :lol:  And they say multiculturalism is a failed experiment :lol:

25 minutes ago, AxlsFavoriteRose said:

Whiskey is my sister from another mister, leave her ALONE homie!! :max:

Whiskey baby come here i will protect you from that bad southern boy *glares at @J Dog

Hes good bad but he's not evil!

Tell me more

Tell me more

Tell me more

Tell me more!

(thats what you call subliminally sticking up for someone :lol: )

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, J Dog said:

To hell with all y'alls bollocks :lol:

Cricket :lol:

go to the store and put your vittles in ya buggy. be sure and wear ya  good overalls, the one with only a coupla holes in the seat. then go on by ya pappy's and make sure he's got his good fake choppers for church. and don't you'n stop at ya cuzin Bobbie Lou's fer no quick porkin' JD ( side note J is short for Jehepsaba and D is short for Dooley ) we don't need no more flipper rugrats ya hear boy??

:lol:

• Like 1

I used to be a pretty fair baseball player in my day. How would that translate over to the cricket game?

I gotta say. If a Cricketeer showed up and asked to play some ball with us, I don't see many skills translating. Except maybe hitting a splitter off the dirt. 

I think we could dominate cricket if we chose to.

5 hours ago, Fitha_whiskey said:

I used to be a pretty fair baseball player in my day. How would that translate over to the cricket game?

I gotta say. If a Cricketeer showed up and asked to play some ball with us, I don't see many skills translating. Except maybe hitting a splitter off the dirt. 

I think we could dominate cricket if we chose to.

The biggest difference is that the ball pitches (i.e. hits the ground once) before reaching the batsman, The bowlers actually use the pitch to influence the trajectory of the delivery.

2 hours ago, wasted said:

Baseball evolved from the English game called Rounders. 

Hand-eye co-ordination is pretty transferable. Baseball is just 3 full tosses in a row. At least you know generally what's going to happen.

I with you on the hand eye coordination. Might be easier for a cricket player to play baseball since the ball isn't hitting the dirt first. That's wild. I played baseball and think I could hit with a cricket stick.

I'd say our pitches are a little more complicated than 3 tosses in a row. You start getting pitchers who can throw good curve balls and knuckle balls and drop balls and it's really hard actually. And in the majors where those cats are throwing 90-100 mph ain't no joke.

Edited by J Dog