We need a cricket thread here

DieselDaisy

Just now, PappyTron said:

You know, they may not be a powerhouse at the level of their neighbours, but Bangladesh have come a very long way since they gained Test status.

Their problem, much like Zimbabwe's, is that they do not play enough Test cricket. This England series is their first since July 2015, and, as here, they tend to get dished out the miserly two Tests by the other Test playing nations - the terrorism also has not helped,

http://www.espncricinfo.com/bangladesh-v-england-2016-17/content/story/1062821.html

Ireland and Afghanistan will probably obtain Test status in 2019, so the problem will spread there also unless there is some sort of reform of the Test playing structure, which has been on the ICC agenda for eons but seems like it is finally going to occur.

7 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

Their problem, much like Zimbabwe's, is that they do not play enough Test cricket. This England series is their first since July 2015, and, as here, they tend to get dished out the miserly two Tests by the other Test playing nations - the terrorism also has not helped,

http://www.espncricinfo.com/bangladesh-v-england-2016-17/content/story/1062821.html

Ireland and Afghanistan will probably obtain Test status in 2019, so the problem will spread there also unless there is some sort of reform of the Test playing structure, which has been on the ICC agenda for eons but seems like it is finally going to occur.

I agree. They've come a long way, but due to a whole host of problems they aren't able to really push on. We, on the other hand, seem to constantly be playing cricket, to the point where the near near enough never plays for their respective counties.

6 minutes ago, PappyTron said:

I agree. They've come a long way, but due to a whole host of problems they aren't able to really push on. We, on the other hand, seem to constantly be playing cricket, to the point where the near near enough never plays for their respective counties.

To put this in perspective, England and Australia are playing around fourteen Test Matches per 'Wisden year', to Bangladesh's five, and (shockingly), Zimbabwe's none - using 2016's Wisden! The rest of the countries - the Indians, Pakistanis and South Africans, etc -  are playing around eight-nine Tests.

PS

Bangladesh certainly in control of the match now. See if Stokes can get some reverse.

Edited by DieselDaisy

30 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

To put this in perspective, England and Australia are playing around fourteen Test Matches per 'Wisden year', to Bangladesh's five, and (shockingly), Zimbabwe's none - using 2016's Wisden! The rest of the countries - the Indians, Pakistanis and South Africans, etc -  are playing around eight-nine Tests.

PS

Bangladesh certainly in control of the match now. See if Stokes can get some reverse.

Five (!) dropped catches already, and a missed stumping, I do believe. It's going to be one of those days, I feel.

19 minutes ago, PappyTron said:

The way half our team is batting I wouldn't bet on them to chase 220 yet alone 320.

Yes, the top four are under performing, and we are almost five years since Strauss retired not wondering who Cook's partner should be! The thing is, England bat so high (Finn is the only outright tailender) that your middle - lower order keep bailing them out.

England, the mother of all collapses,

100/0 to 164/All Out!!

Oh well, I'm pleased for Bangladesh. Amazing scenes in Dacca.

England are going to be destroyed by the Indians!

PS

The Indians will be rubbing their hands, ordering all of their groundsmen to prepare Bunsen burners.

Edited by DieselDaisy

Bit of a flat top really, and not the Bunsen we all expected. Indian fielding was comical, and their spinners bowled some rubbish and did not look like the invincible magicians we were led to believe. Root and Moen Ali: there is literally no partnership I'd prefer to see - very easy on the eye.