The Boxing Thread

Len Cnut

On 24/01/2020 at 10:06 AM, Len Cnut said:

How the fuck can he afford to drop 300 grand on a watch and a car? And fuck knows what else. What would his average purse be, a fighter like that? It's cant be from his father either as he went broke

48 minutes ago, spunko12345 said:

How the fuck can he afford to drop 300 grand on a watch and a car? And fuck knows what else. What would his average purse be, a fighter like that? It's cant be from his father either as he went broke

Easily, these big celebrity fighters make money other places apart from fight purses, he’s probably cracked at least a mil or so on at least a couple of his high profile fights...all that TV time too, plus he’s done a bit of modelling if I’m not mistaken. Plus I don’t believe his old man was very broke, he was rich man broke, chapter 11 broke, the kind of broke that could pay off our mortgages and then some.

31 minutes ago, lukepowell1988 said:

The rich get richer if he is smart he would also have a plot of investments stocks shares bonds ect.

My brother has said since day 1 that Eubank is not interested in any boxing or proper boxing titles, he’s interested in rinsing as much money as he can out of the situation, much like his old man.  See we rate Eubank Snr over here but he did much the same thing.  Of his era he only really fought Benn and Watson, domestic rivals, the rest of his record number of title fights were against bums.  Last fights of his career against quality operators in Collins (and he weren’t even that quality) and Calzaghe he lost, his career was a very well managed one.  Remember, this is a middleweight era that included Roy Jones, James Toney, Mike McCallum, Gerald McLlelan, absolutely stacked with top quality operators if Eubank had fancied it.

Of the british middleweights of that era it was actually Benn who really took people on.

Cool, a boxing thread. One of the few sporting events that I watch. I guess I could add that I know of one pro boxer who was the unified light middleweight world champion, having held the WBA (Super), IBF, and IBO titles between 2017 and 2019. His name is Swift Jarret Hurd. My dad and his both worked at Post on the assembly line. I remember when his dad, Fred, came down a few times to our place. He (Jarret) was no bigger than a grasshopper. Can't believe that Julian Williams beat him and took his belts only for Williams to lose the belts in his next fight. If Jarret intends on fighting one of the Charlo brothers he'd better bring his A game cause they are tough in landing punches and having stamina.

Edited by Jabberwocky

1 minute ago, DieselDaisy said:

I wouldn't pay one pence. Boxing PPVs are a swindle. 

Yeah, you got a fair point actually but I been paying for em since forever so it strikes me that, of all the shitbags I've paid for, this at least seems something of a worthy pick, the 'lineal' ( :lol: ) undefeated heavyweight champ versus the undefeated WBC champ in a rematch after a previous draw, it has a certain amount of weight to it, wouldn't you say?

2 minutes ago, Len Cnut said:

Yeah, you got a fair point actually but I been paying for em since forever so it strikes me that, of all the shitbags I've paid for, this at least seems something of a worthy pick, the 'lineal' ( :lol: ) undefeated heavyweight champ versus the undefeated WBC champ in a rematch after a previous draw, it has a certain amount of weight to it, wouldn't you say?

Which is why it should be on terrestrial. It was watching boxing on terrestrial how I first discovered a love for boxing.

Just now, DieselDaisy said:

Which is why it should be on terrestrial. It was watching boxing on terrestrial how I first discovered a love for boxing.

That and actually make interesting match ups.  The disease in boxing today is that contenders don't fight contenders as often enough.  I, or indeed any casual boxing fan could just watch the sport for 6 months and immediately be able to point out the matches that SHOULD happen...but they don't.  For example there's an entire middleweight division right now who could ALL fight each other but don't cuz they're all hanging out for that money-spinner against canelo alvarez.  You have Andrade, the Charlo Twins, Eubank Jnr, Billy Joe Saunders, Danny Jacobs, ALL good match ups for each other and yet have never fought.  Its a joke.  They damage boxing not only with bullshit PPVs but also because if you don't make the fights, in a town like Vegas, you don't interest the gamblers and if you don't interest the high rollers ticket sales are down, as they are right now in boxing. 

6 minutes ago, Len Cnut said:

That and actually make interesting match ups.  The disease in boxing today is that contenders don't fight contenders as often enough.  I, or indeed any casual boxing fan could just watch the sport for 6 months and immediately be able to point out the matches that SHOULD happen...but they don't.  For example there's an entire middleweight division right now who could ALL fight each other but don't cuz they're all hanging out for that money-spinner against canelo alvarez.  You have Andrade, the Charlo Twins, Eubank Jnr, Billy Joe Saunders, Danny Jacobs, ALL good match ups for each other and yet have never fought.  Its a joke.  They damage boxing not only with bullshit PPVs but also because if you don't make the fights, in a town like Vegas, you don't interest the gamblers and if you don't interest the high rollers ticket sales are down, as they are right now in boxing. 

Well the whole admin of boxing is odd and completely different to any other sports, whereby you have four administrations and fights are just organised at a personal level between promoters/fighters. Can you imagine any other sport running like this? Four separate football champions. ''Man U negotiating with Liverpool to play a game for x amount of money''.

6 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

Well the whole admin of boxing is odd and completely different to any other sports, whereby you have four administrations and fights are just organised at a personal level between promoters/fighters. Can you imagine any other sport running like this? Four separate football champions. ''Man U negotiating with Liverpool to play a game for x amount of money''.

Not only that but there's no like...internal policing?  For example, can you imagine a sport where, for example, the person putting on the promotion has a hand in picking the refs and judges, laying on their hotel rooms and what have you.  So we have a fight, my boy vs yours, and I'm the fuckin' judges and refs meal ticket.  Very fair.

• Like 1

On 08/02/2020 at 6:49 AM, Jabberwocky said:

Cool, a boxing thread. One of the few sporting events that I watch. I guess I could add that I know of one pro boxer who was the unified light middleweight world champion, having held the WBA (Super), IBF, and IBO titles between 2017 and 2019. His name is Swift Jarret Hurd. My dad and his both worked at Post on the assembly line. I remember when his dad, Fred, came down a few times to our place. He (Jarret) was no bigger than a grasshopper. Can't believe that Julian Williams beat him and took his belts only for Williams to lose the belts in his next fight. If Jarret intends on fighting one of the Charlo brothers he'd better bring his A game cause they are tough in landing punches and having stamina.

Shit, you know Jarrett Hurd?  He's got a good fighter y'know.  BTW J Rock has since lost the belt, in his first defence.  Hurd had a fight just a couple of weeks ago on the comeback trail, he won too.  Jarretts problem is that he gets involved too much.  I'm not sure the Charlos are world beaters either.  One of em recently lost to that guy from Philly whoose name escapes me but he's since avenged that.

Edited by Len Cnut

16 minutes ago, Len Cnut said:

Not only that but there's no like...internal policing?  For example, can you imagine a sport where, for example, the person putting on the promotion has a hand in picking the refs and judges, laying on their hotel rooms and what have you.  So we have a fight, my boy vs yours, and I'm the fuckin' judges and refs meal ticket.  Very fair.

If I was going to reform boxing I'd have one admin and one belt per division, and a mandatory fight system by which the holder has to fight so and so of this particular ranking in stipulated period. Refereeing decided by the admin. The array of weight divisions could use some culling also. 

Just now, DieselDaisy said:

If I was going to reform boxing I'd have one admin and one belt per division, and a mandatory fight system by which the holder has to fight so and so of this particular ranking in stipulated period. Refereeing decided by the admin. The array of weight divisions could use some culling also. 

In a way y'know the fighters have benefitted from all this shit, as well as the promoters.  This is often the reasoning used when justifying the current state, that the fighters, the ones who put their arses on the line, benefit on some levels, from the WBCs, WBAs, IBFs WBOs and silver and interim and diamond and franchise champions (franchise champion, I've yet to get my head around that one!), that the fighters get more money whereas in the days gone by you'd have one middleweight champion on good money and then a thousand or so other middleweights on the breadline, that kind of boxing requires higher levels of poverty, the kind of which there was in the 20s and 30s and 40s to actually keep boxers in fighting, or else young men just wouldn't box, it wouldn't be worth it. 

Just now, Len Cnut said:

In a way y'know the fighters have benefitted from all this shit, as well as the promoters.  This is often the reasoning used when justifying the current state, that the fighters, the ones who put their arses on the line, benefit on some levels, from the WBCs, WBAs, IBFs WBOs and silver and interim and diamond and franchise champions (franchise champion, I've yet to get my head around that one!), that the fighters get more money whereas in the days gone by you'd have one middleweight champion on good money and then a thousand or so other middleweights on the breadline, that kind of boxing requires higher levels of poverty, the kind of which there was in the 20s and 30s and 40s to actually keep boxers in fighting, or else young men just wouldn't box, it wouldn't be worth it. 

Sport is inherently connected with money but I don't believe any sport is so inherently connected with money than boxing.