GNR Women's discussion

Carlycosmos

There were a few comments regarding very small children and babies not having real memories of bad experiences, my son was 2 when I got away from my evil ex. His dad tried to tell him I was lying and that he was never abusive and my son punched him in the damn face and told him I may have been a baby but I remember her screaming in fear and you throwing her around you asshole....he did not get this info from me, once we split I did not talk about any of it for years and especially not to my son, I never wanted him to know how bad it was because it was his dad and I couldn't think about it myself, I tried to block it all out until a few years ago I started having nightmares about the worst parts and would wake up breathing hard and feeling like it all had just happened again. Kids are quite capable of remembering things clearly years later that they could not understand at the time.:blink::blink::blink:

1 hour ago, Blackstar said:

Let's hope that he also hasn't been informed about the BBC documentary, Mick Wall's book and what Doug Goldstein said, and so on. And if we go back, the 1999-2000 Spin and RS articles contained personal stuff that Axl hadn't shared. Most of the information and speculation about the so called "dark years", other things like the new age stuff etc and the relevant discussion (including this thread) rely on those articles, particularly the RS one, but it must have been very hurtful for Axl to see himself being exposed and analyzed by anonymous "friends" in the media.

On the other hand, these stories, although personal and not meant by Axl to become public (they did though) give some insight on why he acted one or another way and not simply because he's been a "bad person", a "dick" etc. Some of this stuff is indeed very sensitive and disturbing (you're both right about it and I see what you're saying), but I prefer not to overlook it like other people do, some of them not because they respect Axl's privacy, but because they like the "he's just a dick" explanation more.

Exactly. Contrary to (recent) popular belief, this thread has always been to a large extent about serious discussion, right since it started. And I don't intend to change that.

25 minutes ago, BlueJean Baby said:

There were a few comments regarding very small children and babies not having real memories of bad experiences, my son was 2 when I got away from my evil ex. His dad tried to tell him I was lying and that he was never abusive and my son punched him in the damn face and told him I may have been a baby but I remember her screaming in fear and you throwing her around you asshole....he did not get this info from me, once we split I did not talk about any of it for years and especially not to my son, I never wanted him to know how bad it was because it was his dad and I couldn't think about it myself, I tried to block it all out until a few years ago I started having nightmares about the worst parts and would wake up breathing hard and feeling like it all had just happened again. Kids are quite capable of remembering things clearly years later that they could not understand at the time.:blink::blink::blink:

Yes, but we're talking about Axl here and Axl didn't have conscious memories of that awful incident that supposedly happened when he was 2. As @Blackstar pointed out, he suffered from nightmares and maybe had some blurry images in his mind, but didn't understand what they were/meant until he was an adult and had some kind of sudden flashback in his car and/or "recovered" these memories in regression therapy (and that in itself is a highely debatable topic, considering that regression therapy of the kind Axl took part in is complete and utter bullshit and all his "therapists" were frauds and charlatans).

Edited by Frey
  • Like 3

Just now, Frey said:

Exactly. Contrary to (recent) popular belief, this thread has always been to a large extent about serious discussion, right since it started.

Yes, but we're talking about Axl here and Axl didn't have conscious memories of that awful incident that supposedly happened when he was 2. As @Blackstar pointed out, he suffered from nightmares and maybe had some blurry images in his mind, but didn't understand what they were/meant until he was an adult and had some kind of sudden flashback in his car and/or "recovered" these memories in regression therapy (and that in itself is a highely debatable topic, considering that regression therapy of the kind Axl took part in is complete and utter bullshit and all his "therapists" were frauds and charlatans).

I know, my son didn't have conscious memories either, while totally different from what happened with Axl, his memories came back to him when he was about 15, after his dad kidnapped him and he lived with him for a year until I was able to get him back. That triggered his memory and he shocked me with what he actually knew. I was just saying kids can later grow up and remember things they did not understand at the time. It has made him extremely protective of me. 

5 hours ago, marlingrl03 said:

I like both Izzy and Fortus so I stayed out of that one although I did post a pic of Fortus with the big 3 cause it was an awesome pic and he deserves some love sometimes lol. ?

And yeah the Reddit thing will be very interesting to say the least! I am glad that Steven got some love from Slash, Duff and GNR. That was sweet! 

Yes he deserve some love but only sometimes!! But that guy with that stupid statement really pissed me off but it's a troll so I don't care!

Yes I'm so happy too about the Reddit thing! Steven is so sweet and so affectionate with the fans and wanted the reunion since forever so much love for him :wub: 

i just loved duff's post and the fact that called him brother they are still a family and I'm so happy for this!:)? 

Edited by Nightrain92
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, Padme said:

Never fear anything, but it's weird that some people are extremely inlove with CD. The world pretty much ignored it. I'm one who is very disappointed with that album. I find it to be boring, bad lyrics, self pity and way too melodramatic. GN'R is a hard rock band. Where is the big fuck you to everyone and everything? There is nothing like that in CD

It's not so strange, considering that we are in a forum which has been around during most of the NuGnR era. If you think who would join a GnR forum in, say, 2002, 2006, 2008 or 2010, it would be 1) people who got into GnR through NuGnR and liked that band or particular players (Buckethead, Finck etc), 2) people who loved the AFD/UYI band and saw Axl's new band as a reincarnation of it (or hoped that it could be) and 3) people who loved the original band and were still hoping for a reunion.

I'm in the middle about CD. I don't consider it a GnR album either, not because it differs from the classic GnR sound (whatever that was - AFD? Illusions?) or because it isn't a "fuck you" album (musicians change and mature and I prefer Axl to write what he feels than replicate what he wrote when he was 25), but because, as there can't be GnR without Axl, there can't be GnR with just him. As an album, regardless of the name it's released under, I don't think it's shitty. I can see what Axl was artistically aiming at with it, but somehow he didn't get there, mostly due to the production. There's some good songwriting (songs that had potential to be much better than how they ended sounding in the album) and some not so good.

Edited by Blackstar
  • Like 2

23 minutes ago, Blackstar said:

It's not so strange, considering that we are in a forum which has been around during most of the NuGnR era. If you think who would join a GnR forum in, say, 2002, 2006, 2008 or 2010, it would be 1) people who got into GnR through NuGnR and liked that band or particular players (Buckethead, Finck etc), 2) people who loved the AFD/UYI band and saw Axl's new band as a reincarnation of it (or hoped that it could be) and 3) people who loved the original band and were still hoping for a reunion.

I'm in the middle about CD. I don't consider it a GnR album either, not because it differs from the classic GnR sound (whatever that was - AFD? Illusions?) or because it isn't a "fuck you" album (musicians change and mature and I prefer Axl to write what he feels than replicate what he wrote when he was 25), but because, as there can't be GnR without Axl, there can't be GnR with just him. As an album, regardless of the name it's released under, I don't think it's shitty. I can see what Axl was artistically aiming at with it, but somehow he didn't get there, mostly due to the production. There's some good songwriting (songs that had potential to be much better than how they ended sounding in the album) and some not so good.

I personally love the album because it was the first full album I heard. I find it very mature/meaningful, not that the others aren't. This one just holds a special place in my heart because it was the first full album I heard. In my head I just picture the original line-up playing it.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Blackstar said:

That's how I feel.

According to stuff I've been reading from users I don't consider trolls and can actually give good insight, most people consider it shitty because it was overproduced yet incomplete. A contradiction, I know. Too many changes, layers, different musicians...:shrugs:

For what it's worth, I kinda like Better. It's not GNR but I like how it sounds.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Jane M. said:

That's how I feel.

According to stuff I've been reading from users I don't consider trolls and can actually give good insight, most people consider it shitty because it was overproduced yet incomplete. A contradiction, I know. Too many changes, layers, different musicians...:shrugs:

For what it's worth, I kinda like Better. It's not GNR but I like how it sounds.

Be careful... don't want the men bitching in the Tommy thread to start over here....:facepalm:

I like it because I can relate to the lyrics... yes it sounds totally different than the old GNR, so I can understand why some people just aren't into it. While I do like the original lineup best, I still consider it GNR because of Axl. Just my viewpoint, and I do understand why others feel differently. :lol:

1 hour ago, Nightrain92 said:

Yes I'm so happy too about the Reddit thing! Steven is so sweet and so affectionate with the fans and wanted the reunion since forever so much love for him :wub: 

i just loved duff's post and the fact that called him brother they are still a family and I'm so happy for this!:)? 

Steven so his...his smile and happiness that he shows his fans on stage is so amazing...love him! Whoever got to see him on the tour are so damn lucky! 

And the guys tweets to him were short and sweet but heartwarming. :heart::heart::heart:

15 minutes ago, Jane M. said:

Agree with you on this! Not Guns...but I do love some CD songs like Better, TIL and Sorry... and it's nice to hear Slash tweak it a bit to make it more his style. Slash is the man! 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, BlueJean Baby said:

Be careful... don't want the men bitching in the Tommy thread to start over here....:facepalm:

I like it because I can relate to the lyrics... yes it sounds totally different than the old GNR, so I can understand why some people just aren't into it. While I do like the original lineup best, I still consider it GNR because of Axl. Just my viewpoint, and I do understand why others feel differently. :lol:

I like that he felt that GNR shouldn't put themselves in a box. It would be a shame if every album sounded the same. All the songs on the Whispers album sounded exactly alike....it was a boring album because their father controlled the sound completely. That was what Axl wanted to avoid.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, marlingrl03 said:

Steven so his...his smile and happiness that he shows his fans on stage is so amazing...love him! Whoever got to see him on the tour are so damn lucky! 

And the guys tweets to him were short and sweet but heartwarming. :heart::heart::heart:

Yes fans that had the chance to see him are so lucky!! I wish he will come to Europe next summer!! 

About CD I love better too!  The riff is amazing and I really like the jam at the beginning of the song it's really good! I love CD title track and CITR! TIL not so much but I love slash's solo! So heartfelt for me?

I respect slash a lot as guitarist  and I like a lot of his solo stuff too:):)

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Nightrain92 said:

Yes fans that had the chance to see him are so lucky!! I wish he will come to Europe next summer!! 

About CD I love better too!  The riff is amazing and I really like the jam at the beginning of the song it's really good! I love CD title track and CITR! TIL not so much but I love slash's solo! So heartfelt for me?

I respect slash a lot as guitarist  and I like a lot of his solo stuff too:):)

Yeah Slash's solo on TIL just blows me away...a lot of emotion and powerful! I feel the audience sees it the same way. :)

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Nightrain92 said:

I didn't really appreciate CD until I listened to the instrumentals alone, especially for songs like TIL, Madagascar and Prostitute. The piano and orchestral arrangement on TIL is beautiful imo, and though I like Robin's solo I sometimes wish that there was a version without the guitars as it masks the piano.

I haven't seen many videos of Slash's version of the TIL solo, only a couple from the NA leg of the tour when it seemed like he was still playing around with it a bit. I'm restraining myself cuz I want to hear at the London show and am hoping that Slash will have perfected it by then (fingers crossed that they play it!).

Edited by KiraMPD

2 hours ago, Jane M. said:

That's how I feel.

My definition of a shitty album is uninspired, generic, with bad songwriting. CD doesn't fall into this category imo (at least a part of it doesn't).

Better doesn't do it much for me, although it's popular even among fans who don't like CD at all. I don't know why, maybe because it's nu metal-ish :shrugs:.I prefer Madagascar, TWAT, Sorry (despite the lyrics) and SOD to it. I just heard an acoustic version of Better though which I think is much... better;).

1 hour ago, KiraMPD said:

I didn't really appreciate CD until I listened to the instrumentals alone, especially for songs like TIL, Madagascar and Prostitute. The piano and orchestral arrangement on TIL is beautiful imo, and though I like Robin's solo I sometimes wish that there was a version without the guitars as it masks the piano.

I don't like TIL as a song, but yes, the instrumental, although melodramatic, is beautiful. I like the orchestration on Prostitute, too. I think some of the songs on CD would do better as parts of a movie score.

Edited by Blackstar

6 hours ago, SerenityScorp said:

I want a video of Slash sings HB to Axl while brings a cake offstage

Yes me too!!! But it seems very unlikely? I hope Meegan or someone from the crew can take a pic of the two backstage or maybe they'll go out for dinner all together!! I hope we will see something!!! But I have the feeling we won't:(

6 hours ago, SerenityScorp said:

I want a video of Slash sings HB to Axl while brings a cake offstage

Yes me too!!! But it seems very unlikely? I hope Meegan or someone from the crew can take a pic of the two backstage or maybe they'll go out for dinner all together!! I hope we will see something!!! But I have the feeling we won't:(

9 hours ago, KiraMPD said:

I haven't seen many videos of Slash's version of the TIL solo, only a couple from the NA leg of the tour when it seemed like he was still playing around with it a bit. I'm restraining myself cuz I want to hear at the London show and am hoping that Slash will have perfected it by then (fingers crossed that they play it!).

I appreciated CD after the reunion cause I like the songs much more with duff and slash on it! TIL is an awesome song but I can't really like it as you said the piano on it it's amazing maybe if it was a version of it with only piano and voice would be very interesting to hear... I listened to slash's solo on TIL in Osaka and Kobe and he really perfected it in comparison to the NA one now its most heartfelt and "fluid" in my opinion, he worked on it and made it his own and I like it? 

Dont worry they will play TIL in London and you will hear it?