THE OFFICIAL PROPER FOOTBALL THREAD 2020/21

Len Cnut

41 minutes ago, Juventino said:

Well it certainly wasn't the European Championship!

Not a friendly. Although all Brazils team play in Europe so I wouldn’t be surprised. Doing a bit of scouting, resting in plain sight, until they start trying in the World Cup. Then lose and back to europe for a bit of tip tap. 

Yeah they only lost to Brazil at WC. And France and Ireland in Euros. He almost had an immaculate record. 

Edited by wasted

If Germany fail to beat Holland meaning the Dutch go through instead of France and Switzerland sneak a win over Belgium, then I guess England are actually going to win a tournament next Summer.

It'll be the mini Brexit Euro's with England, Switzerland, Portugal and Netherlands. England shouldn't be worried about this Dutch or Portuguese team. 

If France and Belgium make it though, I don't fancy England's chances.

14 hours ago, AtariLegend said:

If Germany fail to beat Holland meaning the Dutch go through instead of France and Switzerland sneak a win over Belgium, then I guess England are actually going to win a tournament next Summer.

It'll be the mini Brexit Euro's with England, Switzerland, Portugal and Netherlands. England shouldn't be worried about this Dutch or Portuguese team. 

If France and Belgium make it though, I don't fancy England's chances.

No but there’s regular qualifying groups to qualify in. I think?

england are through to some play off tournament they might lose. So they still need to qualify in a normal way. I think?

I’ve read the wikipedia page about 80 times. 

Nobody knows?

But if England do win this entire thing as Atari believes (and I very much doubt but, for sake of argument...) England will officially become the international version of Newcastle United and their, ''Intertoto Cup 2004 like. Fuckin' belter bit of silverware like''. 

I.e., Hype-up pointless trophies to overcompensate for glaring lack of important trophies. 

Edited by DieselDaisy

2 minutes ago, lukepowell1988 said:

If England win the mini tournament does that qualify them for the Euros? 

Yes but it’s after regular qualifying. So if they don’t qualify from they group then we can shit ourselves in that mini tournament. I don’t want to be a product of the Nations League, I want the Naions League wikipedia page to make sense. 

4 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

Nobody knows?

But if England do win this entire thing as Atari believes (and I very much doubt but, for sake of argument...) England will officially become the international version Newcastle United: ''Intertoto Cup like. Fuckin' belter bit of silverware like''. 

Euros is harder to win than WC. 

2 minutes ago, lukepowell1988 said:

Starting to see what @Len Cnut means by The Departed referencing now 

This is England, if you don’t win the Euros you’re a fucking douche. So what are going to do?

Edited by wasted

6 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

I mean the Nations League. It'll be for England what the Intertoto or Fairs Cup - or the wonderfully named Anglo-Italian Cup - are for The Toon. 

They only win qualification from it after they should have qualified. It’s sort of like winning a raffle ticket after you lost the lottery. 

5 minutes ago, wasted said:

They only win qualification from it after they should have qualified. It’s sort of like winning a raffle ticket after you lost the lottery. 

It is also a competition within itself though, besides just a mere qualification route to the Euros. There is a final; you win this ugly thing,

2531137_w1.jpg

Edited by DieselDaisy

15 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

It is also a competition within itself though, besides just a mere qualification route to the Euros. There is a final; you win this ugly thing,

2531137_w1.jpg

It’s just an attempt to get people to go to watch these meaningless friendlies. I think the Euros senis and final are held at Wembley the new stadium. 

But football is really about the game you go to and if you win on the day. Fans were going wild after that Kane goal. They should put a message on the big screen “This is meaningless”

Edited by wasted
  • Like 1

Gazza done for copping-a-feel, on a Durham-York commute,

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-tyne-46261574

5 hours ago, wasted said:

It’s just an attempt to get people to go to watch these meaningless friendlies. I think the Euros senis and final are held at Wembley the new stadium. 

But football is really about the game you go to and if you win on the day. Fans were going wild after that Kane goal. They should put a message on the big screen “This is meaningless”

They are not friendlies. One way of looking at the Nations League is it is a bit like taking the preceding European qualifiers and capping them off with a finale and a trophy. Formally it was merely ''just about qualifying for the Euros'' (although I suppose there is something to be said for topping your qualifying group). 

Edited by DieselDaisy

I think this will eventually do away with the summer Euros or at least compliment it. Tweak it a bit until we can all understand out how it works first but it's got the feel good factor already in its first year.

It has to be better than a friendly pestering out and 6 subs in the second half. I love the promotion/relegation aspect aswell. 

6 hours ago, DieselDaisy said:

Gazza done for copping-a-feel, on a Durham-York commute,

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-tyne-46261574

They are not friendlies. One way of looking at the Nations League is it is a bit like taking the preceding European qualifiers and capping them off with a finale and a trophy. Formally it was merely ''just about qualifying for the Euros'' (although I suppose there is something to be said for topping your qualifying group). 

I’m not sure you understand the Nations League format. Or I don’t. This isn’t the european qualifiers with a trophy. The real qualifiers start early next year. Teams used to play friendlies, that nobody cared about, under attemded. So they made them into the NL. And if you win it you go into the real qualifiers playoffs which is for 3rd placed teams in the real qualifiers. But if England top group of real qualifiers they won’t play in playoffs they will be replaced by a 4th placed team. 

So the NL is really just all the friendlies made into a competition in which you can qualify early to the plays offs. You can’t qualify early for the Euros. And you still have to play your Qualifier games. 

What this really is is a way to give a chance for a lower level team from League D to qualify for the play offs. A bit like how WC is full of rubbish teams. England might play Macedonia in NL final and lose on penalties. So Macedonia are iin Qualifier playoffs. They could qualify by winning 2 games having come bottom of there real Qualifier group. 

Overall it’s just a money spinner with more seemingly important games but really if England don’t qualify from qualifier group they are rubbish. If they are in playoffs already they will probably lose those games too. It’s nice to have in your back pocket for big teams. It’s more for little teams to sneak through. 

Edited by wasted

1 minute ago, wasted said:

I’m not sure you understand the Nations League format. Or I don’t. This isn’t the european qualifiers with a trophy. The real qualifiers start early next year. Teams used to play friendlies, that nobody cared about, under attemded. So they made them into the NL. And if you win it you go into the real qualifiers playoffs which is for 3rd placed teams in the real qualifiers. But if England top group of real qualifiers they won’t play in playoffs they will be replaced by a 4th placed team. 

So the NL is really just all the friendlies made into a competition in which you can qualify early to the plays offs. You can’t qualify early for the Euros. And you still have to play your Qualifier games. 

What this really is is a way to give a chance for a lower level team from League D to qualify for the play offs. A bit like how WC is full of rubbish teams. England might play Macedonia in NL final and lose on penalties. So Macedonia are iin Qualifier playoffs. They could qualify by winning 2 games having come bottom of there real Qualifier group. 

Overall it’s just a money spinner with more seemingly important games. 

Nations League is however a route to Euro qualification through some convoluted process.

The way I look at it there are now two methods for Euro qualification,

- Nations League (and you get a trophy at the end)

- Euro qualifiers proper (for those that fail in the above).

Everything else is just too complicated than that basic premise. 

55 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

Nations League is however a route to Euro qualification through some convoluted process.

The way I look at it there are now two methods for Euro qualification,

- Nations League (and you get a trophy at the end)

- Euro qualifiers proper (for those that fail in the above).

Everything else is just too complicated than that basic premise. 

No. But basically. NL is a way into the playoffs of real Qualifiers for Euros. 

The catch is you don’t qualify early. You still have to play your real Qualifiers. If you fail to qualify, you are already in playoffs. 

This first time no one will realise. Thats why everyone is excited. But once England win NL and are in playoffs everyone will say but it’s meaningless if you still have to play group qualifiers. 

Teams that don’t top groups in Qualifiers also go into playoffs. So England can’t throw group away as they might have Egypt in qualifier playoffs. 

So you can’t qualify for Euros through NL. You qualify for Euro qualifier playoffs. Which come after Euro qualifier leagues. 

Edited by wasted

2 minutes ago, wasted said:

No. But basically. NL is a way into the playoffs of real Qualifiers for Euros. 

The catch is you don’t qualify early. You still have to play your real Qualifiers. If you fail to qualify, you are already in playoffs. 

This first time no one will realise. Thats why everyone is excited. But once England win NL and are in playoffs everyone will say but it’s meaningless if you still have to play group qualifiers. 

Teams that don’t top groups in Qualifiers also go into playoffs. So England canMt throw group away as they might have Egypt in qualifiers. 

I'll put the subject ''Nations League Euro qualification'' on my ''complicated tasks list'', just behind learning astrophysics and brain surgery - certainly - but currently,

- Nations League: some weird method you qualify

- Euro qualifiers: another method to qualify.

And it will not get more complicated than the above for me. 

36 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

I'll put the subject ''Nations League Euro qualification'' on my ''complicated tasks list'', just behind learning astrophysics and brain surgery - certainly - but currently,

And it will not get more complicated than the above for me. 

It’s not complicated. If you win NL you qualify for the playoffs of the real qualifiers for the Euros.