"Against my better judgment, I loved the band" [BOSTON GLOBE's Renée Graham on "Axl Rose — a small, hopeful example for our fractured nation?"]

"Against my better judgment, I loved the band. But when Rose’s rebelliousness bled into intolerance, I was done."

Axl Rose — a small, hopeful example for our fractured nation?

AFP_AM9LL.jpg

graham.png By Renée Graham Globe Columnist  May 11, 2018

When Guns N’ Roses releases its “Appetite for Destruction: Locked N’ Loaded” box set next month, one notable — and notorious — track will be missing: “One In A Million.”

Written by Axl Rose, the band’s mercurial lead singer, that 1988 song denounced African-Americans, immigrants, and gay men in derogatory terms. At the time, Rose defended the song, saying his beliefs about these maligned groups justified his excoriation of them.

Now that song, practically a Trump supporter’s anthem, will remain an ugly relic from the era of Reaganomics and Jheri curls.

Does this mean Axl Rose is woke? Who knows. (...)

[FULL ARTICLE HERE = https://www.bostonglobe.com/opinion/2018/05/11/axl-rose-small-hopeful-example-for-our-fractured-nation/wPwZY2XvDVelvZXzRqjIoI/story.html]

1 minute ago, ludurigan said:

"Against my better judgment, I loved the band. But when Rose’s rebelliousness bled into intolerance, I was done."

Axl Rose — a small, hopeful example for our fractured nation?

AFP_AM9LL.jpg

graham.png By Renée Graham Globe Columnist  May 11, 2018

When Guns N’ Roses releases its “Appetite for Destruction: Locked N’ Loaded” box set next month, one notable — and notorious — track will be missing: “One In A Million.”

Written by Axl Rose, the band’s mercurial lead singer, that 1988 song denounced African-Americans, immigrants, and gay men in derogatory terms. At the time, Rose defended the song, saying his beliefs about these maligned groups justified his excoriation of them.

Now that song, practically a Trump supporter’s anthem, will remain an ugly relic from the era of Reaganomics and Jheri curls.

Oh, good grief!! :facepalm:

• Like 1

That article belongs into that other board. Also, I totally agree with the author.

Of course what motivated this choice isn’t as important as the message delivered by the song’s absence: Virulent bigotry should be buried, not resurrected. It’s a small, but hopeful example for our fractured nation.

Perhaps that’s why “One In A Million” will be left in the 20th century. Its offensive sentiments align too closely with the current administration, one for which Rose has nothing but contempt.

I don’t agree with her on her opinion on „Used to love her“. It has always been clear to me it was a joke. But well.

I agree on the thoughts whe OIAM has been left out though.

Edited by Tori72