Slash: Richard Fortus Brought Out Some of My Best Guitar Playing. He's Awesome

3 hours ago, RONIN said:

Nice catch there. I think it's the former scenario you mentioned - Fortus was probably the first player he rehearsed with. I don't think Ashba really had a chance to get in on this given that he had the "Slash" role in the band prior to the reunion. Unless there's some truth to those insane rumors that Axl still wanted a 3 guitar lineup for the reunion.

Also, if Frank made the final cut (someone Sluff reportedly had difficulties gelling with initially), I suspect Fortus/Frank were heavily backed by Axl to be a part of this whole thing and Slash/Duff just went with it as a way of appeasing him.

Even Brain wasn't considered for the gig despite being far superior to Frank - and we know from his interviews, he would have leaped at this if given the chance. The only guy who didn't make it into NITL was Pittman and even he was there until the 11th hour before getting the axe - and only because he ran his mouth. Point being, I think Axl was very loyal to his Ashba era lineup - he even admitted in that China Exchange interview to being very fond of that lineup. :blink: Having said that, maybe there was some truth to those Ashba rumors then and it was the one Axl request that Slash vetoed. 

Personally, I think Slash's preferred choice would have been Gilby since he brought him in for the HOF induction. 

Slash wouldn't have brought Gilby in if Izzy was there. I think for GNR Izzy would be his first choice.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, RONIN said:

The only guy who didn't make it into NITL was Pittman and even he was there until the 11th hour before getting the axe - and only because he ran his mouth.

Yeah, although I was watching that interview with Jimmy Kimmel from 2012 and when Axl was asked who had the most chances to be fired from that lineup he said it would be Pittman :lol:

9 hours ago, RONIN said:

Point being, I think Axl was very loyal to his Ashba era lineup - he even admitted in that China Exchange interview to being very fond of that lineup. :blink: Having said that, maybe there was some truth to those Ashba rumors then and it was the one Axl request that Slash vetoed. 

I think he meant he was fond of touring with them, but he clearly didn't want to make music with them. That was Bumblefoot's -and even Ashba's- main complaint; that even if any music was released it would be stuff dating from the early 00s that Axl had them rework and he wasn't interested in anything that the Nu-NuGnR lineup came up with. Tbh, although I understand Bumblefoot's frustration, I don't blame Axl there.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Blackstar said:

Yeah, although I was watching that interview with Jimmy Kimmel from 2012 and when Axl was asked who had the most chances to be fired from that lineup he said it would be Pittman :lol:

He was just joking, because he saw his performance with Neil Young. He even called him Neil Pitman, can't you remember that? 

On 10/5/2018 at 3:27 PM, RONIN said:

Nice catch there. I think it's the former scenario you mentioned - Fortus was probably the first player he rehearsed with. I don't think Ashba really had a chance to get in on this given that he had the "Slash" role in the band prior to the reunion. Unless there's some truth to those insane rumors that Axl still wanted a 3 guitar lineup for the reunion.

Slash talked about this again (on Mitch Lafon):

I never met any of the other guitar players that were in Guns N' Roses prior to my coming back. But Richard was there when we came in - and, you know, I knew he was gonna be there. And I think Axl knew that he was probably the right guy to work with me and that's why he had him come down. I'm not really sure how that happened, but, you know, we hit it off, since we met, and then, playing-wise he's really... Let's see, like, he's technically gifted but he has his roots, are all real old school rock 'n' roll roots. And so that's immediately how we related and we just have... It's just something that happened very naturally and we got really comfortable immediately and he's great. And I think he makes me a better guitar player in the context of Guns N' Roses for sure, because he's that good a player so you have to sort of (?) when jamming with him.

https://omny.fm/shows/rock-talk-with-mitch-lafon/slash-venom-inc-and-sean-yseult

(30:30 minute mark)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1