Unreleased song from Mank Rage (feat. Paul Huge Tobias) leaked online

Sosso

4 minutes ago, soon said:

Neat to hear. Thanks for posting!

Starts off a little bit brittle and under developed to my ears, but by the climax its a really tight tune. Love that section. The track is very 90s "alt rock" I think? Like Everclear being fronted by Dylan.

I wonder if the unreleased GN'R album from '95/'96 would've sounded similar? 

8 minutes ago, Sosso said:

I wonder if the unreleased GN'R album from '95/'96 would've sounded similar? 

From 4:20 on I could imagine a Guns album in that era having a similar vibe - especially with Izzy back. I dont know that Slash was wiling to ease up on the monster saturation sound at that point though? He finally did on Libertad, though. The track, prior to 4:20, has a bit of a PJ Vitaloogy sound to it. I gather Axl would've dug it, but the rest didn't seem game?

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Dean said:

I enjoyed that. Would love to know what Paul has been doing with himself over the years.

Also, it's odd how he looks nothing like he did in Guns, anyone have any idea on the year of the photos on that video?

wamvtc.jpg

Rock in Rio III, 2001

Edited by Sosso
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, Sosso said:

Rock in Rio III, 2001

I was meaning the still from the video as seen on rocknroll's post above. Compare Paul from that to the one from Rio, you'd be convinced that was two seperate fellas!

I'm sure wherever he is in the world he'd have appreciated the nice royalty cheque he would have received for the release of SOYL. 

Probably the most focused song I've heard from that band, indeed very Pearl Jam. Lots of the Mank Rage demos are just ideas thrown in a blender; there's no cohesion to them. 

Which is also indicative of Paul's playing because, to my ears, he has chops but no style. He plays those double stop licks just fine, but he's not going anywhere with them. He plays them like a garage band guitarist, essentially.

Paul did get writing credits on some of the best Chinese Democracy songs, though. One wonders how long it took him to come up with the riff to IRS or the changes in Catcher in the Rye.