Share your feelings on the safety of plastics?

saber_

Do you microwave plastic? Are you concerned about Bisphenol-A in any way, shape or form?

From what I can tell, the higher the plastic number (the little number in the recycle triangle, the worse it is for you). So while PET (the number 1 in the triangle) seems to be okay, numbers 5 and 6 are apparently really bad. Numerous studies would seem to back this up.

When I buy microwave meals, I dump them out on a plate and nuke 'em, since most of the containers are 5 or 6. Sometimes at cafeterias or other food establishments, they'll put plastic side cups full of dipping sauce under a heat lamp. You can see the plastic actually melting. And what number are those little side cup thingies? Almost always 5 or 6.

What are your feelings on the safety of plastics? Do you care?

If you are using your microwave, don't worry about the plastic getting you.

I recently saw a thing on facebook regarding plastic water bottles too, about keeping them in your car and cancer etc..

When they bottle it, it is stored on skids in the heat outside, then sent on a non refrigerated truck to the grocery stores etc. If it were true that heating it would cause more leeching then why dont they cool it?

Anyway for your original question, I don't think putting plastic in your mouth is good in any situation. Even more so if that plastic is from China, China doesn't have many safety or environmental rules.

Are you concerned about Bisphenol-A in any way, shape or form?

No, because of this:

FDA’s current assessment (as of 12 April 2014) is that BPA (bisphenol A) is safe at the very low levels that occur in some foods. This assessment is based on review by FDA scientists of hundreds of studies including the latest findings from new studies initiated by the agency.[5] The European Food Safety Authority (EFSA) reviewed new scientific information on BPA in 2008, 2009, 2010 and 2011: EFSA’s experts concluded on each occasion that they could not identify any new evidence which would lead them to revise their opinion that the presently known levels of exposure to BPA is safe; however, EFSA does recognize some uncertainties, and will as before continue to investigate them.[6]

Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bisphenol_A

I am concerned about things that I know can hurt me, I don't have time to waste being worried about things that have been demonstrated to be safe. Life's too short for that.

Edited by SoulMonster

If you are using your microwave, don't worry about the plastic getting you.

I recently saw a thing on facebook regarding plastic water bottles too, about keeping them in your car and cancer etc..

When they bottle it, it is stored on skids in the heat outside, then sent on a non refrigerated truck to the grocery stores etc. If it were true that heating it would cause more leeching then why dont they cool it?

Anyway for your original question, I don't think putting plastic in your mouth is good in any situation. Even more so if that plastic is from China, China doesn't have many safety or environmental rules.

The difference being though that a water bottle left in a car on a hot day can reach temperatures way above the normal outdoor temperatures and if its left there for hours and hours there can apparently be a transfer of toxic chemicals from the heated plastic into the water.

It's been known for around 30 years that the coating of non stick fry pans when heated above a certain temperature omits toxic chemicals that will kill a bird within minutes if the bird is exposed to the emission. But no one has prevented the production of non stick fry pans, purely because the demand is high and proof that it has any substantial affect on humans has not been established. Likewise the production of packaging would face a pretty big dilemma if plastic bottles were all of a sudden outlawed.

• Like 1

No, because of this:

FDA’s current assessment (as of 12 April 2014) is that BPA (bisphenol A) is safe at the very low levels that occur in some foods. This assessment is based on review by FDA scientists of hundreds of studies including the latest findings from new studies initiated by the agency.%5B5%5D The European Food Safety Authority (EFSA) reviewed new scientific information on BPA in 2008, 2009, 2010 and 2011: EFSA’s experts concluded on each occasion that they could not identify any new evidence which would lead them to revise their opinion that the presently known levels of exposure to BPA is safe; however, EFSA does recognize some uncertainties, and will as before continue to investigate them.%5B6%5D

I am concerned about things that I know can hurt me, I don't have time to waste being worried about things that have been demonstrated to be safe. Life's too short for that.

Did you notice what it said there? "is safe at the very low levels that occur in some foods." That phrase is repeated over and over throughout the literature on the subject. "Very low" and "some foods." Unfortunately, higher doses are getting in your food, like when you microwave plastic, or plastic is exposed to heat. Interestingly, you didn't quote something else, that it mimics estrogen.

Here's a quote from the mayo clinic:

"Some research has shown that BPA can seep into food or beverages from containers that are made with BPA. Exposure to BPA is a concern because of possible health effects of BPA on the brain, behavior and prostate gland of fetuses, infants and children. [...]The FDA is continuing its review of BPA, including supporting ongoing research."

http://www.mayoclinic.org/healthy-living/nutrition-and-healthy-eating/expert-answers/bpa/faq-20058331

As for your reliance on the FDA, well I would counter that their credibility can be called into question. There have been several articles lately about a recent study they did. Here's one of them: Scientists Condemn New FDA Study Saying BPA Is Safe: "It Borders on Scientific Misconduct"

No, because of this:

FDA’s current assessment (as of 12 April 2014) is that BPA (bisphenol A) is safe at the very low levels that occur in some foods. This assessment is based on review by FDA scientists of hundreds of studies including the latest findings from new studies initiated by the agency.%5B5%5D The European Food Safety Authority (EFSA) reviewed new scientific information on BPA in 2008, 2009, 2010 and 2011: EFSA’s experts concluded on each occasion that they could not identify any new evidence which would lead them to revise their opinion that the presently known levels of exposure to BPA is safe; however, EFSA does recognize some uncertainties, and will as before continue to investigate them.%5B6%5D

Did you notice what it said there? "is safe at the very low levels that occur in some foods." That phrase is repeated over and over throughout the literature on the subject. "Very low" and "some foods." Unfortunately, higher doses are getting in your food, like when you microwave plastic, or plastic is exposed to heat.

Nope, it is during heating of plastic containers that the food gets contaminated with low doses of BPA which, according to numerous studies, aren't harmful to humans.

Interestingly, you didn't quote something else, that it mimics estrogen.

I didn't quote it because it is irrelevant. It doesn't matter what hormones it mimics as long as it isn't dangerous.

As for your reliance on the FDA, well I would counter that their credibility can be called into question. There have been several articles lately about a recent study they did. Here's one of them: Scientists Condemn New FDA Study Saying BPA Is Safe: "It Borders on Scientific Misconduct"

FDA hasn't done any studies on BPA (as far as I know). FDA, as well as their European counterpart the EMA, reviews the existing scientific literature and comes up with their guidelines. And their conclusion is that BPA, at the levels found in food, even when heated in plastic containers, simply isn't harmful.

I know too little of it, but it is no longer allowed (in Belgium, based on European guidelines) to use BPA in baby bottles or any food container for children under three. So it doesn't seem that innocent to me. But again, I'm no scientist, so I have to go on what guidelines say.

It is harmful over certain concentrations. No on is denying that. And we have a proud tradition of being extra protective of babies (in addition to babies and fetuses having a lower tolerance to BPA). That being said, the legislation has been criticised for being political in nature and not scientific since no data exists that says the relevant concentrations it would be harmful to babies.

Edited by SoulMonster

No, because of this:

Did you notice what it said there? "is safe at the very low levels that occur in some foods." That phrase is repeated over and over throughout the literature on the subject. "Very low" and "some foods." Unfortunately, higher doses are getting in your food, like when you microwave plastic, or plastic is exposed to heat.

Nope, it is during heating of plastic containers that the food gets contaminated with low doses of BPA which, according to numerous studies, aren't harmful to humans.

I didn't quote it because it is irrelevant. It doesn't matter what hormones it mimics as long as it isn't dangerous.

FDA hasn't done any studies on BPA (as far as I know). FDA, as well as their European counterpart the EMA, reviews the existing scientific literature and comes up with their guidelines. And their conclusion is that BPA, at the levels found in food, even when heated in plastic containers, simply isn't harmful.

It doesn't matter what hormones it mimics? Wow. You seem to have convinced yourself that there are no high doses out there and that everything is okay.

Also, thanks for not reading the article I posted. But way to go at seizing the opportunity to point out I misphrased the bit about the FDA doing the studies themselves instead of reading the point of the article.

Higher levels of Bishpenol-A are leeching into the food in heated plastic containers, by the way. Just so we're clear. But I understand you're telling me it's safe.

If the book is closed on this matter, why is the FDA continuing to study BPA?

No, because of this:

It doesn't matter what hormones it mimics? Wow. You seem to have convinced yourself that there are no high doses out there and that everything is okay.

Also, thanks for not reading the article I posted. But way to go at seizing the opportunity to point out I misphrased the bit about the FDA doing the studies themselves instead of reading the point of the article.

Higher levels of Bishpenol-A are leeching into the food in heated plastic containers, by the way. Just so we're clear. But I understand you're telling me it's safe.

If the book is closed on this matter, why is the FDA continuing to study BPA?

As long as it isn't harmful in the doses contained in food, then it is simply irrelevant what it mimics. It could mimic the most dangerous toxin in the world and it wouldn't matter.

Scientists continue to study any compound that is potentially dangerous to strengthen our understanding. As for BPA, there are still some uncertainties regarding its pharmatoxicology that warrants further examination. But when it comes to those concentrations found in food then the scientific literature and the regulatory bodies are very clear: BPA is not harmful.

Well I'm glad you admitted that in higher concentrations, it's probably not healthy. That was big of you.

I'm glad you don't waste time worrying about things which you believe are not harmful to you, but you do waste time on a GnR message board trying to convince me BPA is a-okay. Although after reading your posts, I'm left to wonder, were you trying to convince me, or yourself? (rhetorical question there)

Enjoy your chef boyardee and your heated #5 and #6 plastic products. Mmm mm.

Edited by saber_

Well I'm glad you admitted that in higher concentrations, it's probably not healthy. That was big of you.

I'm glad you don't waste time worrying about things which you believe are not harmful to you, but you do waste time on a GnR message board trying to convince me BPA is a-okay. Although after reading your posts, I'm left to wonder, were you trying to convince me, or yourself? (rhetorical question there)

Are you enjoying your argument with somebody who holds a Ph.D in this field? :lol:
  • Like 1

Enjoy your stress induced ulcers and high blood pressure from being terrified of everything in the world.

Enjoy your stress induced ulcers and high blood pressure from being terrified of everything in the world.

I know you're not going to believe me, but please consider the possibility that I might be having a wee bit more fun than you think when I create threads in the Anything Goes section about water purifiers, air filters, and bad plastics. I can enjoy discussing these things because they interest me, but tthat doesn't mean I'm terrified of them. Believe it or not: I don't own a water purifier, I occasionally drink tap water when I run out of my plastic bottled water, and I honestly like my air purifiers because they make the place smell good. As far as plastics, like I said I just dump the microwave meal out of the tray, and that's about it.

You enjoy your awesome cirrhotic liver. :thumbsup:

I know you're not going to believe me, but please consider the possibility that I might be having a wee bit more fun than you think when I create threads in the Anything Goes section about water purifiers, air filters, and bad plastics. I can enjoy discussing these things because they interest me, but tthat doesn't mean I'm terrified of them. Believe it or not: I don't own a water purifier, I occasionally drink tap water when I run out of my plastic bottled water, and I honestly like my air purifiers because they make the place smell good. As far as plastics, like I said I just dump the microwave meal out of the tray, and that's about it.

You enjoy your awesome cirrhotic liver. :thumbsup:

I'm 28, clearly if I am still healthy, I am invincible.