Axl Rose Chat #6 - mygnrforum - Dec. 14, 2008

He claimed that alcohol and smoking both would fuck up his voice. That doesn't mean he's going to give two shits about it. He is a rock star after all. And given all of the shit that has happened over the years, I will never truly believe Axl or any of them unless they can provide actual proof. Remember the "letter to the fans" claiming the album would be released in March 2007? Only took a year and a half longer for it to finally be released. :rofl-lol: But what I find insanely unfortunate in this is that instead of skepticism for all parties involved, the media fed one side of the story to the public. Their job is to report all sides of the story. They failed miserably in this regard and showed just how much of an agenda they have against Axl. If you think Axl has received a fair shake from the media and the public regarding the breakup of the band, then I've got oceanfront property in Arizona to sell to you.

What exactly do you expect the media to do when one side is willing to give his version and the other side isn't? Not allow Slash to tell his side until if/when Axl was ready to tell his? That's not how it works. The fact is, there was one person who wanted to share his experiences and one who didn't. It's ridiculous to fault the media or the public for that.

They oh-so-quickly believed every word Slash said, as if a drug addict is a 100% accurate source on ANYTHING, even the shit happening in his own life. Reading his book, it's a miracle he didn't get himself killed with how he was going through life every day on drugs. Fact is, Axl was always viewed as a huge prick thanks in part to his own actions and the actions of the media. And when Slash/Duff decided to tell their side of the story, there was zero scrutiny of it from the media.

Well, Slash was in the band, why wouldn't his story be believable? I understand your point about his addiction, but the fact is the man was still able to function, quite well actually, showed up to every gig, took the stage every night and played the shit out of his guitar. Even how, when and where he did his drugs is pretty precise and clear. His memory isn't as clouded as you're making it out to be, the guy wasn't passed out 24/7 drooling in the fetal position for all the years he was in Guns. He gave his version, never waivered on the details, and they were collaborated by another former member.

Of Course people wated to hear Axl's version! You don't think the media didn't try to contact him everytime Slash spoke? No one was willing to give him the opportunity to tell his side? Hmmmm....doubtful. It seems obvious that Axl was going to speak when he was good and ready. Again, I don't see how that is anyone else's fault.

That's the one thing that sticks out at me; if Slash were completely lying, why hasn't Duff ever refuted what Slash said? I think there's truth from both ends, and this doesn't change my opinion of any of them.

EDIT: Why do people have to choose sides? Is this middle school? :rolleyes: For me, together or not, Slash is always going to be my favorite guitarist, and Axl my favorite frontman. Their lawsuits and arguments will never change the fact that they were fucking magical.

Edited by luvaxl4ever

Ok then!!.................

Thanks everyone. Hope to get back soon. I’ll take a look at that list. As long as we don’t get to personal or offensive I’m good with things. Thanks for all the questions, my apologies for not answering specifically to each, this was just a bit easier for this subject. Hope no one took wanting to stay on topic to personal. Thanks again to everyone who participated. Thanks to everyone for the great comments and appreciation. Happy Holidays. :xmassrudolph:

Axl-

Axl,

First of all, Merry Christmas in advance to you, your family, dear and near ones and all those in the band. Thanks so much for taking the time to talk to all of us and get your version of this out. It means a lot to us that you did and it is wonderful as fans to share this trust.

Axl, thanks a ton for answering so many questions and talking with us here! If I may take a moment...

1) Is there a chance of hearing earlier versions of the album, significantly different takes/versions of the songs, etc.? Could there be a demo/version compilation eventually?

2) I'm sure you've gotten asked this quite a bit, but when do you think the next album could be available? Long wait or just a year or two?

3) What would you think about someone sitting down with you to write a book about the creation of Chinese Democracy and it's follow ups? Seriously, getting interviews with you, the band, the producers and engineers and everyone else who helped bring it to fruition?

Apart from that, Axl, I just wanted you to know that I love the album and can't wait for you guys to tour next! The record is great and I tell everyone regularly to check it out. Keep doing your thing and don't take shit from anyone!

The Ox

He claimed that alcohol and smoking both would fuck up his voice. That doesn't mean he's going to give two shits about it. He is a rock star after all. And given all of the shit that has happened over the years, I will never truly believe Axl or any of them unless they can provide actual proof. Remember the "letter to the fans" claiming the album would be released in March 2007? Only took a year and a half longer for it to finally be released. :rofl-lol: But what I find insanely unfortunate in this is that instead of skepticism for all parties involved, the media fed one side of the story to the public. Their job is to report all sides of the story. They failed miserably in this regard and showed just how much of an agenda they have against Axl. If you think Axl has received a fair shake from the media and the public regarding the breakup of the band, then I've got oceanfront property in Arizona to sell to you.

What exactly do you expect the media to do when one side is willing to give his version and the other side isn't? Not allow Slash to tell his side until if/when Axl was ready to tell his? That's not how it works. The fact is, there was one person who wanted to share his experiences and one who didn't. It's ridiculous to fault the media or the public for that.

They oh-so-quickly believed every word Slash said, as if a drug addict is a 100% accurate source on ANYTHING, even the shit happening in his own life. Reading his book, it's a miracle he didn't get himself killed with how he was going through life every day on drugs. Fact is, Axl was always viewed as a huge prick thanks in part to his own actions and the actions of the media. And when Slash/Duff decided to tell their side of the story, there was zero scrutiny of it from the media.

Well, Slash was in the band, why wouldn't his story be believable? I understand your point about his addiction, but the fact is the man was still able to function, quite well actually, showed up to every gig, took the stage every night and played the shit out of his guitar. Even how, when and where he did his drugs is pretty precise and clear. His memory isn't as clouded as you're making it out to be, the guy wasn't passed out 24/7 drooling in the fetal position for all the years he was in Guns. He gave his version, never waivered on the details, and they were collaborated by another former member.

Of Course people wated to hear Axl's version! You don't think the media didn't try to contact him everytime Slash spoke? No one was willing to give him the opportunity to tell his side? Hmmmm....doubtful. It seems obvious that Axl was going to speak when he was good and ready. Again, I don't see how that is anyone else's fault.

That's the one thing that sticks out at me; if Slash were completely lying, why hasn't Duff ever refuted what Slash said? I think there's truth from both ends, and this doesn't change my opinion of any of them.

EDIT: Why do people have to choose sides? Is this middle school? :rolleyes: For me, together or not, Slash is always going to be my favorite guitarist, and Axl my favorite frontman. Their lawsuits and arguments will never change the fact that they were fucking magical.

But, isnt Duff still friends with slas, still in a band with slash? and not with axl? it would seem that Duff wouldnt want to come out and say 'hey slash lied!" when hes in a band with the guy....and not with axl...

To be honest, I think theres Truth in Axls version.....I think theres truth in Slash's version....its just they are told from different ends of the spectrum of why this all went down...

personally id rather just enjoy the music!

Wow that was quite a post. Probably the most important post this forum's ever had next to the official release of Chinese Democracy. I'm leaning more into Axl's version of why the band broke up due to the fact that the original's members departure was their own choice and he didn't. We've heard and read pretty much every original members' reasons on why the original band broke up. Slash left Guns N' Roses, so did Duff, and Izzy. Axl stayed and continued working in the band with Dizzy. They've all gone on tv and done interviews blaming Axl of having a change in style that broke up the band, I think that's all bullshit.

I got nothing but admiration for Axl and the balls that he has for having done what he's done, getting a bunch of musicians and coming up with a great record. When Barrett left Pink Floyd it wasn't the same band but they kept on working, same thing when Roger Waters left. In a way, Pink Floyd has been three different bands within the same band. Chinese Democracy is a Guns N' Roses record whether you like it or not.

Edited by saint_seiya

Thank you Axl, for taking the time to explain things as best you could. As a fan, it really means a lot to know you care and are actually communicating with us and trying to answer what you can. I loved Chinese Democracy and can't wait to hear from you again, whether that be on here or in your next musical journey.

I full support you, and always have, in your battle to save GNR, and while I obviously didn't know the details, I never believed it was as simple as Duff/Slash being great guys and you being the prick they made you out to be. Here's looking forward to more greatness from Guns N'Roses in the future! Take care!

I've said a number of times about the truth 'being in the middle', and i'm aware that it's not always the case, maybe it's not this time.

I just think the fence is the safest place to be on all this. Really, what the fuck do we know? I always thought it'd be unfair to take Slash's side as fact without taking into account Axls side. Similarly, now Axls put forward his side it'd be hypocritical of me to just go 'Fuck that Slash guy'.

It's not about taking sides or calling people liars or whatever, it's just about accepting that i wasn't there and so i don't know shit. I'd like to think Axl can respect that. He's still my fuckin' hero and i'll still support the guy whatever he chooses to do. I'd like to think that this would at least make the mainsteam conciousness more open minded towards the whole thing, and that it wasn't just all Axl being an asshole like has been claimed all these years.

Either way, it's an amazing thing to do what you did there Axl posting that. It was a great read. Thank you.

Have a great Christmas Axl.

Edited by axldavies

Merry Christmas to you as well Axl. Great answers to some questions I and many of us have wanted to know for years. I personally think you made the right choice. The new album sounds like a Guns album and that is good enough reason for me. Thanks for the time you took to do this and the respect you've shown the fanbase! Looking forward to the next album! :xmasssanta:

Edited by 'Slinger

Very true, and I will view it that way as well.

Just two additional thoughts:

1. I discovered at least one occasion in Slash's book where he was lying (St. Louis). The book is said to have more stuff in it thats not completely correct (can't verify that). However, I have never caught Axl lying.

2. Knowing Axl's personality type, he is VERY straightforward and honesty is of great value to him (of course he could feel something to be the truth that in fact isn't).

PS: Anybody else who discovered "Simple Man" today? Great song!

EDIT: Yes, Axl, you are a class act!

Edited by Fun n' Games

i wonder what exactly slash and duff sue him for? and does axl have to make public court appearances? if he does wouldnt we have seen him entering and leaving court?

but yea, axl has gone from not communicating with fans at all to communicating with them on a level unparalleled

withinin the industry, very fucking awesome.

also axl, how are you?

and, will we ever see the UYI tour footage?

Edited by Sheffilton

No offense, but Axl sounds bitter as fuck. Especially about Slash. We're supposed to believe that everything that has happened is someone else's fault and EVERYTHING we've been told about him are all lies.

I think the truth is probably somewhere in the middle.

A lot of your posts/answers seem to mirror that expression on the image of Slash's face that you are using.

No offense, but Axl sounds bitter as fuck. Especially about Slash. We're supposed to believe that everything that has happened is someone else's fault and EVERYTHING we've been told about him are all lies.

I think the truth is probably somewhere in the middle.

People love sayin' that middle trip. Easy to say but not so easy to prove.

Unfortunately it's not in the middle and I can back up every last line in my bit or I wouldn't be here.

You love his work and whatever else. More power to you!

And no, I'm not bitter at least in the sense of how you used it conveys. Felt good gettin' some of that off my chest and as I said that's just the tip.

If that's your honest impression it's definitely not rose colored lenses you're wearing. And I looked up the definition of bitter once in a pocket dictionary and got "having anger at something unjust or evil". I'm not angry but when I am with this particular someone who I thought was once my friend... the definition fits.

Woooooooohoooooo!!! Just raised my arms and yelled that out when I saw Axl's reply to that post. Way to go Axl. More power to you!!!