Axl Rose Chat #6 - mygnrforum - Dec. 14, 2008

Axl,

First , thank you for the great album it definitely has the potential to get stronger as the days go by. This is evident in the fact that almost everyone has an extremely different list of their 1-14 favorite tracks on the album. This is similar to the albums Led Zep would put out which to me this is a sign of a QUALITY album instead of 2/3 good song and then garbage. You’ve created something that invokes conversation in many directions which is the definition of art……to the people who can separate the music from the other BS that is. I also picked up on a theme that this album represented a journey of some type and your post echoes those sentiments.

Secondly, about your post….

You know way more about this that I do….. but I was having a conversation with a friend recently about the relationship between the record companies and how they deal with the bands that earn the rare ‘franchise’ status. You stated that you were the original owner of the music, the vision, the direction, etc. for Guns N’ Roses and as long as you are still the owner you will do whatever you can to see that what that name represents is given the level of excellence it deserves.

With that said, and I know the record companies have other intentions, but (hypothetically speaking) why wouldn’t a band like say Aerosmith achieve to preserve what they have similar to a sports team like say the New York Yankees over generations. Let’s say Tyler and Perry own the rights to the name Aerosmith and its direction. Let’s say that their performance as musicians are on the slight decline and to preserve the franchise they actively scout band members who they feel best would represent what Aerosmith is all about and how they would sound if they evolved to be their future replacements if they were to step down on the performance side. So Tyler and Perry and the new guys are taught as a mentor/protégé system and introduced onto the albums slowly but they are taught what the Aerosmith name represents similar to the ways the Yankees draft a top prospect and slowly teach him about the Yankees name. Overtime the understudies would become more active and the founding owners would step back but still continue to work on the band as in songwriting, producing, mentoring, direction, etc. but they are able to preserve the name for generations . It seems like under the current model that so many young bands are easy prey for bad deals from the record companies and within the bands themselves and this has at some point destroyed all of the truly great bands in a way.

Whether you are rooting for Babe Ruth, Reggie Jackson, or Derek Jeter it’s what the Yankees represent that people are so loyal to as we are here with the GN’R name and what it represents. Just a crazy thought to throw out there and I’m sure there are legal ownership dilemmas but that would be determined in how the founding owners decide to handle that part.

Aside from that, Axl, have a great holiday season and thanks for chatting with the fans!

He claimed that alcohol and smoking both would fuck up his voice. That doesn't mean he's going to give two shits about it. He is a rock star after all. And given all of the shit that has happened over the years, I will never truly believe Axl or any of them unless they can provide actual proof. Remember the "letter to the fans" claiming the album would be released in March 2007? Only took a year and a half longer for it to finally be released. :rofl-lol: But what I find insanely unfortunate in this is that instead of skepticism for all parties involved, the media fed one side of the story to the public. Their job is to report all sides of the story. They failed miserably in this regard and showed just how much of an agenda they have against Axl. If you think Axl has received a fair shake from the media and the public regarding the breakup of the band, then I've got oceanfront property in Arizona to sell to you.

What exactly do you expect the media to do when one side is willing to give his version and the other side isn't? Not allow Slash to tell his side until if/when Axl was ready to tell his? That's not how it works. The fact is, there was one person who wanted to share his experiences and one who didn't. It's ridiculous to fault the media or the public for that.

Wow, this is like a fucking dream. I can't believe that Axl has actually joined the community and gave us his end of things right from the heart like that.

It's nice to get some of the dust cleared on that whole situation. That was more enlightening than any interview or biography could have been!

A8R

I wonder what Axl

?

I also thought Slash was really fair in his autobiography - regardless of whether some of the things he said about Axl weren't accurate (as has been implied in this thread), he didn't really go out of his way by any means - at least not in my opinion - to bash him or make him out to be a bad guy, which would have been very easy for Slash to do in light of Axl's general silence back then and the fact that nothing had definitively been published by anyone involved. In fact he specifically mentioned a few times that he didn't want to demonize Axl because certain things happened that weren't his fault, etc. I didn't read the book beginning to end but just skimming through various chapters I saw this at least a handful of times.

Axl's points may be valid about what happened in the past, but I'm curious as to whether he feels like Slash has mellowed out and is attempting to make peace now, at an older age, with a bit more wisdom one would assume. Yes, Slash may have sued with Duff over merchandising or whatever, but I'm sure someone like Axl who's dealt extensively with the legal end of things related to the band knows it doesn't necessarily mean they're out to get Axl as much as secure their own legal rights. If it was a move by Merck then Axl had nothing to do with it and it's a business thing, it's not motivated by personal hatred. I mean, the same thing could be said about Axl securing rights to WTTJ with Activision; I'm sure he'd do this regardless of whether Slash was involved, if they're using material without permission.

Maybe Axl views this all entirely differently and sees Slash's "playing nice" in the media via his book and interviews as a facetious way of trying to appear to be the "Good Guy" and reconnect with Guns N' Roses. I'm not saying that's what he's doing, but based on Axl's post, I'm guessing maybe he feels this way about it?

Would be interesting if he were to address this, but I don't know if he's actually going to be reading this thread. Maybe i'll post something about this in a question thread next time he's on.

He claimed that alcohol and smoking both would fuck up his voice. That doesn't mean he's going to give two shits about it. He is a rock star after all. And given all of the shit that has happened over the years, I will never truly believe Axl or any of them unless they can provide actual proof. Remember the "letter to the fans" claiming the album would be released in March 2007? Only took a year and a half longer for it to finally be released. :rofl-lol: But what I find insanely unfortunate in this is that instead of skepticism for all parties involved, the media fed one side of the story to the public. Their job is to report all sides of the story. They failed miserably in this regard and showed just how much of an agenda they have against Axl. If you think Axl has received a fair shake from the media and the public regarding the breakup of the band, then I've got oceanfront property in Arizona to sell to you.

What exactly do you expect the media to do when one side is willing to give his version and the other side isn't? Not allow Slash to tell his side until if/when Axl was ready to tell his? That's not how it works. The fact is, there was one person who wanted to share his experiences and one who didn't. It's ridiculous to fault the media or the public for that.

They oh-so-quickly believed every word Slash said, as if a drug addict is a 100% accurate source on ANYTHING, even the shit happening in his own life. Reading his book, it's a miracle he didn't get himself killed with how he was going through life every day on drugs. Fact is, Axl was always viewed as a huge prick thanks in part to his own actions and the actions of the media. And when Slash/Duff decided to tell their side of the story, there was zero scrutiny of it from the media.

Axl.

I am not really a fan of yours I have always been a Slash fan. That said I want to thank you for your time and for posting here for your fans. I don't think I have ever heard of any celebrity doing a more thoughtful thing for his fans. I wish you a happy holiday and here is a happy face just for you. :xmasssanta:

At first, thank you for everything you've been done for the music and for us, dear Axl. :)

I always believed that you had done your best for Guns N' Roses. Some time ago, I read somewhere that you had so much affection and pride by the name Guns N' Roses. Well, I read your letter and I believe in you, admire you as well as wish you a very good luck. ;)

So, I want to you to know that I admire you for the things you do, even if life has been hard. This world dealt you a bad hand, and you still try to survive, you find a way to keep going... I admire you for being there for your fans, and to have given us such a superb album! I do appreciate the songs that you do and I’ll be waiting for more!! ;)

So many reasons to admire someone as special as you, Axl.

Finally, I admire you for being the best as a singer & frontman and as a wonderful human being! Know that I will always be around.

Happy holidays and Merry Christmas, my angel! :xmasssanta:

From the heart, your eternal fan, Sandrinha.

Edited by Sandrinha

Thank you Axl.

I've always believed brother.

Through a world of endless shit, you've managed to hold on.

Commitment like that is a hard thing to find in this world we live in.

Thank you from the bottom of my heart for carrying on, keeping your dream alive, and letting us share it with you along the way.

Edited by axlsfury

I have more respect for you now than I ever have. I always thought you were an intelligent complex person. How could you write the music you write without being so.

This confirms that. Your music is part of the soundtrack for a very important part of my life and I know I'm not alone. I think it is very generous of you

to allow us in. To know a bit more about the man behind the songs.

Thank You!

Axl, I really think you are a genius musician and every piece of material that is released we play and listen to and really get into. Whether it be at our local watering holes, our employee gym at Comcast, etc. It's still awesome to hear your voice and blast GnR. Here in the Philly area your music is hella popular, I kinda wish you'd make your peace with Spectacor and the Philly media people so you can come back soon! Right now they're not enthusiastic about it. I'm sure you know (WMMR, Comcast Spectacor, etc), and that sucks for the diehards like me and my friends. I end up taking the train to NYC though.

With all due respect, one thing seriously picks at my brain. I do believe Slash in many cases was just trying to save face, I agree with you there. But, if that's all it was then really a lot of the lawsuits etc are not personal, which judging from a few of your responses you are taking them to be. Business is business. Duff and Slash had good things to say about hearing you again and in recent interviews they seem to have gotten past all of the bitterness. You are one of my heroes but at the same time I do not feel you have gotten past this bitterness toward them personally and I don't know that you will. This is judging from your previous responses. All I'm saying is "never say never", it would be foolish to do so. In some responses it sounds an awful lot like "no way in hell." Bitterness goes away with time.

Happy Holidays :xmasssanta:

For this assignment, I give Dexter a B+ due to a distinct lack of grammatical integrity as well as a number of syntax errors. :P

Great read. I'll have to give it more than a cursory read in order to process everything before I post on the subject matter. Thank you, sir, for being so giving of yourself over this holiday season. The last few days has meant more to many of us than you may ever be able to fully understand. All the best to the band and all of their families.

I think it's safe to say that the Axl/Slash relationship was WAY more complex than anyone could have imagined

And that Slash will not be re-joining Gnr anytime soon

This was fascinating to read

I can't help but think that it must've been killing Axl to keep silent all of these years on this shit