Axl Rose Chat #6 - mygnrforum - Dec. 14, 2008

Some of you are truly far more pathetic than even I imagined. Stop trying to kiss up to Axl or back peddle on things you said because you have this deep-rooted insecurity about everything. Can some of you show some fucking balls and just live with the things you said and stop attacking others because they do no agree with Axl's perception of the world and himself. The question may not rest in whether Axl is being truthful or not, but his perception of what these truth's are. For God's sake we are talking about a fucking rock band, we are not curing cancer. I will admit that I was next to astonished that someone whose words and music has taken me through most of my life actually came on to this forum and chatted with us like a fucking human being, ego aside. But at the same time he has only shown me what I already knew: he is imperfect like all of us, he can be hypocritical at times, just like all of us, and he has his own set of values and ideals, just like any of us here. I am certain Axl is not happy about everything he has done and said in his life, just as any of us aren't and maybe at times Axl did not appreciate the extent of those implications nor did he understand them. So W.A.R is a fucking human being, now we all know....

I love this complex you have.

The whole "voice of reason" thing you have going on, not really working out.

I will not advocate the whole false worship of celebrities thing, but come on, for real. Take a look at this 4,500 word manifestation of 15 years worth of behind the scene action.

Any sane person understands that a celebrity is imperfect, but to come out like this and just give us a pure and raw manifestation (biased perhaps, but shouldn't come as a shock) of everything. That's something.

No denying it, compadre.

Let people kiss his ass, does it matter? Will you lose sleep over it? No. Chill, calm down, and let your voice of reason dictate your own actions, not those of people who couldn't give a shit about you.

Enough with your pseudo intellectual babble, I do not like forum members being disrespected by other forum members because they did not bask in the glow of Axl Rose. I am hardly trying to be a voice of fucking reason, I have waited this long to post something on this topic after reading through pages of bullshit and insults by those cannot stick to their guns. Period, there is no agenda here other than hoping these verbal assaults just stop. I think you are being a bit hypocritical too aren't you a$$hole?

Edited by smokingarthur

Axl, some of us can fully relate to what you went through, because being in a band relationship with Slash and his attitude, and eventually ending your relationship with Slash as a bandmate was like a long, drawn out, excrutiatingly bad marriage, and then divorce.

And some of us lived through those type circumstances while you lived through the circumstances you went through.

Yours was on a grander, more expensive and more public scale of course. But ours was not necessarily any less painful, exhausting, and mind warping.

God bless all of us who have made it through such a journey without losing our minds.

I wanted to point out my favorite parts of what you wrote:

"Keeping the band name alive was very important. Not out of ego and I don’t know exactly why in the sense of putting into words but I think it has something to do with the global effect it has and how Guns surviving in some way is sometimes inspiring to others around the world and in that there’s a sense of obligation."

You were so right in that respect.

The other great part you wrote was:

"Such as a more positive intent and instead of as self destructive more of healing. There’s all kinds of things to help you die or be more negative. I wanted to try and make as powerful a hard rock album as we could while incorporating beauty and an openness to other forms both traditional and more recent without going religious etc."

That was great too. It's so hard to build something, be positive, etc, but so easy to tear things down and be negative.

Thanks again for sharing this with us! We love you!

Edited by HoustonPam

Fascinating read. Thanks, Axl.

I still have one question unanswered though...

Would you be able to bring yourself to sit down with Slash or whoever you mean by "them" and talk this the fuck out?

Not talking about a reunion. Just talk it out, solve your differences, bring this shit to peace...

I think you, and us would be much happier.

This is beyond excellent that we are hearing from you, Dexter. I've been inspired by you since I was 15 years old (1987) and have always been a "defender" to all the media speculators and the public that eats up what they hear and read. I've read (or tried to read) just about every word ever written by or about GNR Members, and it is so good to hear your side finally.

It is frustrating I'm sure - although I know you understand - that many of us lament for the days of the old band and the magic and brilliant music that ensued. However, I do think that your recent communication has helped (at least me) be more ready to move forward with the new music and band. We can clearly all put to rest our secret dreams of a reunion and begin to appreciate the fact that we have you back making music and performing as you do best.

While we all have our requests - we dont know the complications of doing what you do. All I hope for in the future is much more music from you and one minor request.....the opportunity to see you again in a smaller venue like I did in Hammerstein. That night was truly magical - and I wish more "old" GNR fans could have the opportunity to see you in that environment.

I've been checking this forum EVERY DAY for about 7 years and it is finally paying off! Cheers to you - have a happy holiday as well.

Edited by marino95

Enough with you pseudo intellectual babble, I do not like forum members being disrespected by other forum members because they did not bask in the glow of Axl Rose. I am hardly trying to be a voice of fucking reason, I have waited this long to post something on this topic after reading through pages of bullshit and insults by those cannot stick to their guns. Period, there is no agenda here other than hoping these verbal assaults just stop. I think you are being a bit hypocritical to aren't you asshole?

By "stick to their guns" - do you mean people who want to ignore facts that Axl presented because they're too embarrassed to admit they may have jumped to the wrong conclusion in the past when they hadn't heard both sides? I believe that's called - being in denial. I think people should hear and consider both sides in all of this - rather than hanging onto a view you held previously just because you don't want to admit you may not have had all the facts.

Some of you are truly far more pathetic than even I imagined. Stop trying to kiss up to Axl or back peddle on things you said because you have this deep-rooted insecurity about everything. Can some of you show some fucking balls and just live with the things you said and stop attacking others because they do no agree with Axl's perception of the world and himself. The question may not rest in whether Axl is being truthful or not, but his perception of what these truth's are. For God's sake we are talking about a fucking rock band, we are not curing cancer. I will admit that I was next to astonished that someone whose words and music has taken me through most of my life actually came on to this forum and chatted with us like a fucking human being, ego aside. But at the same time he has only shown me what I already knew: he is imperfect like all of us, he can be hypocritical at times, just like all of us, and he has his own set of values and ideals, just like any of us here. I am certain Axl is not happy about everything he has done and said in his life, just as any of us aren't and maybe at times Axl did not appreciate the extent of those implications nor did he understand them. So W.A.R is a fucking human being, now we all know....

I will not advocate the whole false worship of celebrities thing, but come on, for real. Take a look at this 4,500 word manifestation of 15 years worth of behind the scene action.

Any sane person understands that a celebrity is imperfect, but to come out like this and just give us a pure and raw manifestation (biased perhaps, but shouldn't come as a shock) of everything. That's something.

No denying it, compadre.

Let people kiss his ass, does it matter? Will you lose sleep over it? No. Chill, calm down, and let your voice of reason dictate your own actions, not those of people who couldn't give a shit about you.

Enough with your pseudo intellectual babble, I do not like forum members being disrespected by other forum members because they did not bask in the glow of Axl Rose. I am hardly trying to be a voice of fucking reason, I have waited this long to post something on this topic after reading through pages of bullshit and insults by those cannot stick to their guns. Period, there is no agenda here other than hoping these verbal assaults just stop. I think you are being a bit hypocritical too aren't you a$hole?

Will you just lay the fuck off her and take your negative ass somewhere else? Have some dignity Arthur.

And why would you want to 'be friends' with someone you dislike??? That's called hypocracy.

It's called burying the hatchet.

Hate blackens the heart.

From a personal point of view it is also none of our fucking business.

Of course we would all love to see our two favourite rock stars back onstage again. However as two people who were close friends and had a major falling out that is up to them to sort out and them alone. I just think we forget that (myself included).

Nothing that any of us say here is going to make that happen. It is up to Axl and Slash. End of story.

This has nothing to do with a reunion - it has to do with two people working their differences out for the sake of closure.

Since we're still talking about this 12 years later, that obviously hasn't happened yet.

No denying it, compadre.

Enough with you pseudo intellectual babble, I do not like forum members being disrespected by other forum members because they did not bask in the glow of Axl Rose. I am hardly trying to be a voice of fucking reason, I have waited this long to post something on this topic after reading through pages of bullshit and insults by those cannot stick to their guns. Period, there is no agenda here other than hoping these verbal assaults just stop. I think you are being a bit hypocritical to aren't you asshole?

Should I wait 5 more minutes so that you can actually read my post?

Half my post was me agreeing with you, the other, was simply questioning your urge to post this "voice of reason" type post as if you had come across something absolutely dumbfounding, the fact that Axl was imperfect.

I still expect a response to my last sentence, will it make you feel better if people stop kissing his ass? Is there a direct corrolation between people kissing Axl's ass and your mental state of mind?

No. So just calm down, enjoy this or hate it. But don't go around in your pedestal as if you've discovered something groundbreaking, ok, "asshole"? :kiss:

Edited by Justagroupie

I think it's great that Axl finally feels able to discuss his version of what happened with the name and continuing the band.

Seems this is the first step in moving on. Slash unloaded his take on what happened, was upset about it for several years, and is finally at a place where it's just water under the bridge. Hopefully Axl gets to that place too, soon.

I'm going to have to go through that a few more times. But I have some thoughts...

About the name - I gotta say I always found it puzzling when we got that copy of the lawsuit Slash and Duff filed against you. I think I still have a PDF of it. Basically they asserted that there was GN'R the band (music) and GN'R the partnership (business). A clause was agreed to by the three parties whereby if you left the partnership the name would go to you, but their stake in the partnership would remain (and this was the basis of the lawsuit filed against you). What I found puzzling was their claims of you extracting the name under duress by refusing to sing. How could that be if it was signed over via a clause in the partnership agreement? It just never made sense to me. Guess you've answered that!

I'm glad Axl, that you are cool with people liking one version of the band more than the other. Sounds only logical, you must think, "why would you think I wouldn't be cool with it?" But so much is said and written and we don't get your perspective so it's hard for someone like me to know.

As you can tell by my sig, my favourite version is the old band. It's ashame that the GN'R fanbase to a large degree feels the need to take sides. Frankly, I don't know any of you guys. You could all be liars for all I know. I just know that I love your music. I love the old GN'R most, and will always have respect for all of you guys when it comes to what matters most (or should matter most) to a fan: the music. I love the new GN'R too, and VR as well. Maybe I'm lucky, I can find something to like in each band rather than simply vitriolic anger and spite towards one or two of them.

Maybe it's just not realistic, and doesn't seem to be something you are interested in, but one day I hope you and the old guys can at least try to work things out. Obviously this is from my perspective as a fan of the old band (there are lots of us out there) who would love to see a reunion. That band, all involved, was quite possibly the coolest fucking thing ever. Just something I feel I have to say. It irks me when I read comments on hrere like, "fuck the old band". Hopefully it irks you too. I'm sure you've got lots of respect for the positive things you guys were able to accomplish together, even if the negative things nowadays preclude getting together again.

Edited by KBear

Every forum has a self declared pompous Dr.Phil wannabe who thinks he is more intelligent than the rest so patronizes them by lecturing about obvious issues in a boring quasi-intellectual manner.....I guess you are it, so hi how are you?

Or is it maybe that other cupcake with the drunk Slash avatar craving for attention by writing the same BS in different wordings while sucking his idol's balls, which makes it hard to hear what he actually mumbles?

MyGnRforum needs to clean this shit up, cupcakes are trying to derail everything and the rest of the GnR community are embarrassed over what you all are displaying here. On one side negative cupcakes who listen to Appetite 24 hours a day and nothing else...and the other side hysterical lil fangirls who can't control themselves.

Fuk ya, flame me for the facts, cuties.

Cheers Axl for taking the time to do this. Hope it also benefits you after all these years of probably forced silence.

Edited by TheSoulMaster

No denying it, compadre.

Enough with your pseudo intellectual babble, I do not like forum members being disrespected by other forum members because they did not bask in the glow of Axl Rose. I am hardly trying to be a voice of fucking reason, I have waited this long to post something on this topic after reading through pages of bullshit and insults by those cannot stick to their guns. Period, there is no agenda here other than hoping these verbal assaults just stop. I think you are being a bit hypocritical too aren't you a$$hole?

You don't have to "bask in the glow" at all. The fact was that Axl posted a massive response to fans and your response was, "Get over yourself."

You just don't get it.

Guest Satanisk_Slakt

Very interesting read! Took me almost one hour to read it actually. :lol:

I'd like to read Duffs and Izzys view of this too. Just to put it into perspective. I enjoy your posts, so do not dare to stop post here. ;)

Axl could have sold his story to the highest bidder and some would have paid to hear what he had to say about Guns and what went down with the old band. But he chose not to, he shared it with us, the fans with no financial gain or motivation.

I 've only read part of it and will finsh reading the rest later, as it is not light reading & want to understand his perspective.

Axl, you are such a stand up guy.

Guest RonMexico82
And why would you want to 'be friends' with someone you dislike??? That's called hypocracy.

It's called burying the hatchet.

Hate blackens the heart.

From a personal point of view it is also none of our fucking business.

Of course we would all love to see our two favourite rock stars back onstage again. However as two people who were close friends and had a major falling out that is up to them to sort out and them alone. I just think we forget that (myself included).

Nothing that any of us say here is going to make that happen. It is up to Axl and Slash. End of story.

This has nothing to do with a reunion - it has to do with two people working their differences out for the sake of closure.

Since we're still talking about this 12 years later, that obviously hasn't happened yet.

I didn't necessarily mean a reunion either. Closure and its definition can only be defined by those involved - Axl and Slash. For all we know neither of them might find sitting down discussing things to be productive. Sure we might like to see that but they might not be comfortable or interested in doing so. I had some major falling out with people in the past and I'm not interested in revisiting all that shit. Maybe they feel the same.

Thanks for telling us your side of the story, Axl. I don't know who to believe but I will say this. I always felt you were unfairly portrayed by the media and former members. One thing that I always thought was interesting was how the media lapped up some of the lies about you considering the source of those lies. Slash's book details how much of a drug addict he was at the time, and I've seen Gilby Clarke talk about how much of an alcoholic Duff was at the time. It's interesting that those guys were able to spout whatever BS they wanted about you and the media believed every single word of it, despite the fact that it was coming from people who were so fucked up at the time that they couldn't remember what they did 2 minutes ago, never mind shit that happened years ago. I figure the truth is somewhere in the middle of what you and the former members have said. In any event, it means you're nowhere near as big of a jerk as the media and former members portrayed over the years.

Thanks for talking to us. Now, hopefully "Better" receives the kind of promotion it deserves. It kicks the shit out of everything else on the radio today. Rock on Axl and have a good Christmas/New Year's. :xmasssanta:

Axl, I´d have billions of things to say to you now, but, from the deepest piece of my heart: THANK YOU!

you´re nothing less than BRILLIANT! You´re AMAZING!

This is exactly what we waited 14 years of silence... 14 years of pain... to know the TRUTH about everything!

just one question: is it a piece of yours "40,000 words"?

Thank you, and again, Brazil and the whole world LOVE YOU!

Slash, Duff, Izzy, Matt, Buckethead, Finck, Brain, and probably others that I forget, all left the band....they're all evil? I don't think so...

Fact: they all left because of one guy......

I love Slash ... Duff ... Matt ... Bucket even ... Fink, not so much ;) etc ...

Let me tell you my thoughts.

They all left because of one guy is right on the button.

And that one guy is the guy they see in the mirror every day. I'm not saying Axl wasn't their reason for leaving. Sure, some may not like Axl, some may love him... either way.... their reasons aren't really unified. They all left because the chose to leave.

I will follow Velvet Revolver because I think they pump out some damn fine kick ass rock, and as much as I love the current GnR and what they're doing, they aren't doing the dirty rock I love that VR does. They're doing something different, but something I love too. So I listen to VR and GnR equally. I don't think what Axl has said will change my opinion about the music. Street of Dreams, Just 16, Better, Dirty Little Thing, Sorry, Fall to Pieces. They're ALL great tunes. The reasons GnR sort of fell apart in the 90's are really shitty, regardless of who's version of events is true (and btw, I am not even going to comment here since I wasn't there!). I just hope that the two bands that have caused such a split in the fan bases continue and grow and create more quality music for everyone to enjoy.

Axl, thanks again for your time here. I'm massively impressed. You tend to find your average indie artists will communicate but not the 'superstar' musicians who people usually associate with dissapearing acts... a label which you've epitomized!!!! :) LOL!

Peace out :)

get out of here.

How old are you? 5? There is nothing wrong with supporting BOTH bands. At the end of the day, as a fan, it should be about the music they make, not what goes on behind the scenes. That's between them.