Axl Rose Chat #6 - mygnrforum - Dec. 14, 2008

I remember sneaking into The Roxy in 1986, hoping to weasle my way into the celebrity bar above the club. I had this naive expectation of finding someone like Nikki Sixx with a group of women. Adolescent rock n' roll fantasies, what can I say? I can't remember if it was still owned by Elmer Valentine, but I have fond memories of throwing beer bottles at his fucked up gold Cadillac when my friends and I couldn't find a way to get into the theater to see a gig. He was a cool guy, notwithstanding his wannabe bouncers, who collectively looked like Keith Richards on testosterone..

That was the first time I saw Guns N' Roses live. To know they went from being an unknown band of reckless kids to self-serving, multi-millionaire musicians who just piss on each other to stroke their egos is beyond depressing. They are the musical equivalent of Leonardo DaVinci painting the Mona Lisa and then setting it on fire..

I'm just glad I was around when it actually meant something..

-Kickingthehabit

Grass-roots communication, priceless. As for the comments regarding 'what to believe'....just look at what we do know, plug logic into the equation and then decide for yourself what to believe. Personally, what Axl's saying makes sense (Logically) to me. To each his own of course. Regardless, it's like a personal interview and any fan should enjoy these insights immensely.

I hope Axl is getting some good energy reflected back at him from this process so it can be something he enjoys as well.

Now damnit Axl, Gilmour or Water?? :tongue2:

Enjoy it guys.

Edited by mcalldp

i still cant believe it, the best thng ive read ever...better than the harry potters lol. axl obviosly spent a lot of time to write all of that, much respect, but i bet it must feel good to get a lot of it off his chest

It was good for him and the fans. We all needed it. Im not sure who needed it more.

I just hope people can understand Axl better now.

And i don't give a damn about legally who ownes the name. I mean how 'rock n' roll' is that?
How "rock n' roll" is it to take someone, who is completely innocent, to court based on the errors of someone else?

When it comes to Axl, it's always someone elses fault.

And if Slash was such a liar, why didn't Axl sue him for the lies in his book? He could've cleaned Slash out and once in for all be victorious in this stupid war where nobody really wins.

I honestly don't give a shit if they're ever friends again. Why should I? Yeah, I guess in a hippy, let's all love each other and hold hands sort of way, yes it would be nice if they were friends, and everyone else in the world were friends, too. But if they're not making music together, then I don't care. I guess it would be nice if they could stop bitching about each other, then realizing they took it too far, and going back to kissing their ass to try and correct it. And I believe that for anybody, an abuse of litigation is disgusting. I know it would be aggravating for me, so hopefully they (it sounds mostly like Slash's crap) can quit doing that. But be friends? Who cares?

Well said man, I'm glad somebody said it, as I was begining to feel like the odd one out.

If there's one thing I've found somewhat puzzling in my years of reading other Guns N' Roses fans opinions on MyGNR cd.com Evo and other forums, it's why they believe Axl and Slash should never be seperated , and live-on conjoined hand-in-hand for all eternity. First and foremost, it was evident from an early stage they wouldn't last long: We're lucky to have as much as the material and shows we've got. And it's true; they were perhaps the best Rock N' Roll combo, EVER. Not many rock-stars came close to their legend like status.

But they're both certainly capable of making awesome music without one-another, we have evidance of that. Being friends again? Noone wouldn't like that, but it sounds like Gn'R-fan-fantasy. What would you guys get out of it?! ..it's even a little creepy if you ask me..The Music, does that ring any bells?? :tongue2:

I just feel a little sorry for everyone involved. It seems like they can never escape the controversy and interest in the Old band break-up.

They're only human. We fall out. Things end.

Edited by Lone Sal Bug

Nice to hear Axl's side. Very well written and nice to see a fellow Indiana native write with some intelligence and clarity! :xmasssanta: Regardless of whether you believe him or not, it had to be a horrible time for him the last 15 years or so. Makes me wonder what Izzy feels like being the only guy who really is 'in the middle'? Then again, Izzy seems so laid back he probably doesn't care...

I also wonder if there will come a day when Axl and the original crew can at least be civil. Hopefully, by this point, everybody has somewhat evolved. Duff appears to be healthy and happy with his family life and Slash hopefully is in a similar position. I'd like to know what Axl thinks of all the original members praising him in the media lately? I love Slash's work, but see that as an attempt to be the good guy and hope for reconciliation. And, that's fine; somebody has to make the first move. Duff comes across as more authentic and never seemed as bitter as Slash once did. But, if what Axl is saying is true (and I wasn't there nor can I prove it) then I'd probably be pretty hesitant to even attempt to resolve any issues. What we all want to see as fans isn't always in the best interest of the actual people involved...

Regardless, I'm glad Axl is in a better place emotionally and thank him for chatting with his fans.

Did anyone else get the impression that Axl no longer likes TIL/didn't want it on the album. I found it odd that he said Robin and Tommy sort of pressured him into working on it.

Not at all. I think (and this is just my opinion, per-se) that it was a difficult song for him to work on, and as such he was reluctant to include it on the album. I don't think it was because he didn't like it.

Totally agree. I think he was letting us know how supportive these guys are compared to previous members.

No offense, but Axl sounds bitter as fuck. Especially about Slash. We're supposed to believe that everything that has happened is someone else's fault and EVERYTHING we've been told about him are all lies.

I think the truth is probably somewhere in the middle.

People love sayin' that middle trip. Easy to say but not so easy to prove.

Unfortunately it's not in the middle and I can back up every last line in my bit or I wouldn't be here.

You love his work and whatever else. More power to you!

And no, I'm not bitter at least in the sense of how you used it conveys. Felt good gettin' some of that off my chest and as I said that's just the tip.

If that's your honest impression it's definitely not rose colored lenses you're wearing. And I looked up the definition of bitter once in a pocket dictionary and got "having anger at something unjust or evil". I'm not angry but when I am with this particular someone who I thought was once my friend... the definition fits.

and that's the reason why you are my idol and never let me down. I don't care if you guys don't get along anymore or have some issues or whatsoever. I will always admire you (both) for what you have done musically and professionally. The personal things you might have are non of my business and I have no right to talk 'bout them. I won't say I don't care what you do or how you act 'cause I do. ...When you came to my country (on tour) you gave us bottles of water (for free) that was reserved for the band that really meant a lot to me. But that's how you change the world right? one Act of Random Kindness at a time... I hope you get what I'm saying.

Yowza, that was a great, if bittersweet, read - Thanks very much, Axl, for giving your side of the story.

Taking the time to answer the myriad of questions (random as they can be sometimes) the fans have is just awesome, and very much appreciated.

Viva GN'R!

Edited by EccoTides

AMAZING!!! ROUND TWO!!!

Love this "I was specifically told no lyrics, no melodies, no changes to anything and to sing what I was told or fuck off." - sounds like it would have been like a Motley Crue CD.

Way to stand up for yourself...hope you don't get reamed in the media for this.