FREDDIE MERCURY, OZZY OSBOURNE, SLASH Among Ultimate 'Rock Gods'

Streetchild

According to Skiddle, late QUEEN singer Freddie Mercury, who sold 300 million records before he died in November 1991 of bronchopneumonia induced by HIV, has been voted the ultimate "rock god."

Ozzy Osbourne came sixth in the survey of 4,000 rock fans by Internet market research web site OnePoll.

A spokesman for OnePoll said: "Everybody loved Freddie Mercury. His theatrical performances onstage were incredible and set him apart from other rock stars. He combined his ear for music with an ability to deliver to stadium audiences across the world, and as such millions of fans were devastated when HIV finally killed him in 1991.

"The list of top 20 'rock gods' is a diverse mix of front men, guitarists and performers. There are some legendary acts in the list, but it's also good to see that modern day artists such as Dave Grohl earn respect from rock fans."

Top 20 "Rock Gods", according to OnePoll:

01. Freddie Mercury (QUEEN)

02. Elvis Presley

03. Jon Bon Jovi (BON JOVI)

04. David Bowie

05. Jimi Hendrix (THE JIMI HENDRIX EXPERIENCE)

06. Ozzy Osbourne (BLACK SABBATH)

07. Kurt Cobain (NIRVANA)

08. Slash (GUNS N' ROSES)

09. Bono (U2)

10. Mick Jagger (THE ROLLING STONES)

11. Axl Rose (GUNS N' ROSES)

12. Dave Grohl (FOO FIGHTERS)

13. Jim Morrison (THE DOORS)

14. Paul McCartney (THE BEATLES)

15. Steven Tyler (AEROSMITH)

16. Robert Plant (LED ZEPPelin)

17. Brian May (QUEEN)

18. James Hetfield (METALLICA)

19. Jimmy Page (LED ZEPPELIN)

20. Bruce Dickinson (IRON MAIDEN)

http://www.roadrunnerrecords.com/blabbermo...wsitemID=112034

http://www.skiddle.com/news/all/Freddie-Me...-Rock-God/3016/

Slash higher than Axl eh? That would piss off a lot of the Axl-worshipers. But you know what? Slash has been more existent in the music world in the last 15 years, so he gets the props on this for sticking around. They're both legendary, but to say Slash pales in comparison to Axl is delusional, and only Slash-haters would say that. They were a DUO. 50/50, not 60/40, 70/30. GN'R would NOT have made it big if Slash hadn't been there to do the guitar work and provide the image he did. Same goes for Axl in regards to image and vocal work, but again, it's a 50/50 split....simple as that. So I'm fine with seeing some lists that rank Slash as higher....because most would rank Axl higher, simply because he's the front man.

Edited by GNR_92

cool, but seriously, why is freddie mercury at the top of EVERY LIST?! i mean, he was a great singer and all but he's so glorified and i really see no reason why. no offense to any queen fans, i know there's a lot of them here

:(

*Queen fan*

There's no equal to Freddie, as a rock singer or a frontman.

In my opinion, of course.

Cool!

Although that list is utter shite. No mention of Keith Richards? And Jon Bon Jovi a bigger 'Rock God' than Robert Plant? haha, aye right!

Here's my top 10 (in no particular order)

Elvis Presley - pioneer of rock n roll

Jimi Hendrix - pioneer of the electric guitar

Freddie Mercury - greatest frontman

Keith Richards - Rock N Roll personified

Bono - singer in the most succesful modern day rock band?

Axl Rose/Slash - obviously

Robert Plant/Jimmy Page - Led Zeppelin. Enough said

Kurt Cobain - Not a fan but gotta give it to him,.......

LA

Edited by LA_0013

cool, but seriously, why is freddie mercury at the top of EVERY LIST?! i mean, he was a great singer and all but he's so glorified and i really see no reason why. no offense to any queen fans, i know there's a lot of them here

Check out some Queen live performances! The way he manages to work crowds is amazing. Had a stage presence like no other. Plus, he had one of best voices in rock music. And he wrote Bohemian Rhapsody - which is widely considered among the best rock songs ever - along with some other songs that made history.

• 2 weeks later...
John Lennon not being on that list is utter bullshit. He should be at the top, not freddie mercury.

As good as Lennon is, I wouldn't exactly classify him as a "rock god" in the same manner as Axl, Slash, Freddie etc are.

I would..