Axl Rose N#5 The 20 Greatest Frontmen in Rock

izbo

Axl Rose has attained an almost mythical status -- and not only for his onstage presence. Rose is a lightning rod for controversy, be it punching an unruly reporter or taking 14 years and $12 million to make an album. Despite all that, when he is on his game, there is no one better. Barely contained intensity mixes with manic energy to make him an attention magnet. And even with the depth of talent that the other members of Guns N' Roses possessed, it was impossible to keep from watching Axl as he rushed across teh stage, belting out notes that could shatter glass or bloody eardrums.

The rest of the list:

1. Elvis Presley

2. Freddie Mercury

3. Mick Jagger

4. David Lee Roth

5. Axl Rose

6. Gene Simmons

7. Ozzy Osbourne

8. Iggy Pop

9. Jim Morrison

10. Alice Cooper

11. Steven Tyler

12. Bruce Dickinson

13. Bruce Springsteen

14. David Bowie

15. Marilyn Manson

16. Robert Smith

17. Bono

18. Rob Zombie

19. Ted Nugent

20. Robert Plant

http://www.spinner.com/2010/01/15/greatest-rock-frontmen/

It's odd, I don't listen to Queen that much but even I think Freddie should be number one. I remember watching a bit of them at Wembly and the way he commanded that crowd by telling them to copy his little vocal techniques is something I will never forget, it was close to god like.

It's odd, I don't listen to Queen that much but even I think Freddie should be number one. I remember watching a bit of them at Wembly and the way he commanded that crowd by telling them to copy his little vocal techniques is something I will never forget, it was close to god like.

Freddie really should be number 1. I am a huge Queen fan, but even my friends who can't stand them agrees his power on stage was something else.

Axl will always be number 2 for me. No better frontman alive at the moment.

Edited by Demon Wolf

Wierd list. I'd think Axl would be #4. Jon Bon Jovi not on the list at all :lol:

Bump Gene Simmons. Move Iggy up

I don't know a couple of these guys. If they were so good wouldn't I have heard of them? I don't live under a rock.

Im not the biggest AC/DC fan but surely Bon Scott should be on there.

That list loses credibility for including Marylin Manson.

Edit* John Lydon and Ian Curtis should be on there aswell. But apart from that im reasonably happy with it, I'll let Bono slide because even though I think he's a twat he does make an effort.

Edited by spunko12345

Guest Satanisk_Slakt

My list would have been:

1. Elvis

2. Freddie Mercury

3. Bon Scott

4. Mick Jagger

5. Jim Morrison

6. Axl Rose

7. Kurt Cobain

8. Ozzy Osbourne

9. Steven Tyler.

10. Alice Cooper

Elvis was a fucking solo artist...he shouldn't be on a "front man" list. Front men are artists who lead a band, not go solo.

And not having Cobain on this list invalidates in completely.

Personally, I think that any list of the "Greatest Rock Anything...", has to have Elvis. His influence/pressence can never be understated or taken for granted.

Elvis was a fucking solo artist...he shouldn't be on a "front man" list. Front men are artists who lead a band, not go solo.

And not having Cobain on this list invalidates in completely.

Personally, I think that any list of the "Greatest Rock Anything...", has to have Elvis. His influence/pressence can never be understated or taken for granted.

Couldn't agree less.

First off, Elvis was nothing but a performer. He sang, and he danced and he put on a show. He wasn't a writer and had other people write his music. So imo, he shouldn't be considered anything more then a performer.

Secondly, Chuck Berry was writing Johnny Be Good and inventing rock n roll before Elvis was even discovered. If you ask me, HE deserves more credit then Elvis when talking about rocks roots seeing as how he basically invented the music Elvis sang and danced to.

Elvis was an incredibly gifted performer who was used to make money off of black people's music...nothing more. If people want to say he's the greatest performer, then so be it..I could agree there. But anything more is just disingenuous and stupid.