Thriller vs. Purple Rain!! Which is Better

SunnyDRE

Thriller vs. Purple Rain!! Which is Better  

60 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Break down the songs:

Thriller:

Wanna Be Startin Something - 10/10 - great song. Good beat, good chant, good song topic.

Baby Be Mine- 5/10. What's so great about this song that I haven't heard by other R&B singers like George Benson. Just...eh.

The Girl Is Mine - 6/10. Seriously, this is GOOD???? Paul in his 40s and Michael fighting over a girl? This is a pretty gay song. It's too gay for Perez Hilton's ears.

Thriller - 8/10. Interesting concept, has a good beat, but watch a dance floor clear real fast when they put it on.

Beat It - 9/10. Novel concept at the time, hard rock meets R&B. But P-Funk already did it years before. But still a good song, holds up.

Billie Jean - 10/10. One of the best pop songs of all time, does get people on the dance floor. The original "you're the baby daddy" pre Povich.

Human Nature - 8/10 - it's a decent ballad that works with smooth jazz... John Mayer did a decent job with it, but nothing that makes you go "wow".

PYT - 6/10 - For 1982, might have been one that got people on the dance floor, but nothing special here.

The Lady in my Life - 8/10...good as a makeout song, also heard this one done smooth jazz style.

Purple Rain:

Lets Go Crazy - 8.5/10. - the longer version is pretty damn good.

Take Me With U-7/10. Not the best song, not bad, decent duet, interesting intro to it.

Beautiful Ones - 10/10 He goes James Brown on this one towards the end. I like my ballads that go into that James Brown "baby baby baby" territory.

Computer Blue - 9/10 - The beginning is dumb, but is a great song, has some nice solo work in it.

Darling Nikki - 9/10- Funny and perverted. Al Gore's wife helped with publicity at the time.

When Doves Cry 10/10 - Everything about this song is great. The words, the scaled down music, it all works as a classic song.

I Will Die 4 U- 9/10 - I like it a lot.

Baby I'm a Star- 7/10 - Tina Turner covered this one... worked good in the movie.

Purple Rain - 10/10 - One of the best songs ever. What's not to like about it? Inspired by Joni Mitchell's "A Case of You" (which he also did during the sessions).

Erotic City - 10/10 - managed to be a club staple for years. They left it off the soundtrack for some weird reason.

Which one is going to get people on a dance floor? Prob. something off of Thriller.

What album is someone likely to cover a song off of? Prob. something from Purple Rain.

Prince did most of the recording himself... as a classic album, as a body of work, Purple Rain has held up better and there really are no weak songs, if anything, he had to leave classic songs off of it, which I can't say about Thriller.

I think Michael Jackson came up with his best songs when he put out "HIStory II" and "Blood on the Dance Floor". I actually think that might be the best collection of songs he's ever done. By far the most personal, the most angriest, and the one I really didn't pay attention to when it came out, but over time, one I've gone back to and went "this is actually good."

Even though it isn't my favorite MJ album, I'm going with Thriller on this one. I just think it's better. Never got in to Prince too much... :shrugs:

Agreed, Bad is far superior. But Prince just makes me cringe.

hmm.. what songs of those makes you cringe? Prince is one of those artists who has at least ONE song any individual can connect to

if Rasberry Beret isn't your cup of tea, check out his song Bambi rock3

Guest Satanisk_Slakt

Purple Rain is a good album, but Thriller is probably the best pop-album ever.

Edit: It's possible beaten by Bad which I like better.

Edited by Satanisk_Slakt

Even though it isn't my favorite MJ album, I'm going with Thriller on this one. I just think it's better. Never got in to Prince too much... :shrugs:

hmm.. what songs of those makes you cringe? Prince is one of those artists who has at least ONE song any individual can connect to

if Rasberry Beret isn't your cup of tea, check out his song Bambi rock3

I've tried listening to Prince plenty of times, and I can't say there's a single song I've ever heard that I even find tolerable

Prince is an eccentric and from what Kevin Smith said about him, he is pretty weird and kind of paranoid, but I still think he's one of the most talented musicians and entertainers of all time.

But James Brown is THE all time king when it comes to entertainers and coming up with his own music. Prince and Michael are second.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1CoxNzOOoQU

Edited by dalsh327

I think Purple Rain is a better album on many levels. As a musician, Prince was just in another dimension back then. I love all the different layers and musical styles he incorporated -- the use of jazz chords, gospel, soul, funk, etc.

But it's hard because Thriller is obviously one of the best, too. But I think Purple would place in my top ten personal favourites and Thriller wouldn't.

thriller is a better pop album

but purple rain has everything in it, no limits

Probably a good way of saying it.

It's weird how Prince just really dropped off after he got out of his contract with WB. He's surrounded by too many yes-men and releases way too much crap. If he compiled all of his best work over the past ten years onto a single disc, he'd have another classic; instead, you have to sort through his various records looking for gems hidden amongst mediocrity.

Edited by Estranged Reality

I think Purple Rain is a better album on many levels. As a musician, Prince was just in another dimension back then. I love all the different layers and musical styles he incorporated -- the use of jazz chords, gospel, soul, funk, etc.

But it's hard because Thriller is obviously one of the best, too. But I think Purple would place in my top ten personal favourites and Thriller wouldn't.

thriller is a better pop album

but purple rain has everything in it, no limits

Probably a good way of saying it.

It's weird how Prince just really dropped off after he got out of his contract with WB. He's surrounded by too many yes-men and releases way too much crap. If he compiled all of his best work over the past ten years onto a single disc, he'd have another classic; instead, you have to sort through his various records looking for gems hidden amongst mediocrity.

He has a bad habit at alienating fans, but I have to give him credit at being ahead of his time when it came to how artists now distribute music. But he's had a lot of problems with using the internet to promote and distribute his music for about as long as he's been away from WB, not to mention fans getting cease and desist letters when they want to post anything to do with him.

I'm a big fan of both artists, but I think PR is probably the most solid album Prince ever made.

Whilst Thriller is undoubtedly MJ's crowning achievement commercially, artistically he bettered it with Bad, Dangerous and HIStory.

So I go with Purple Rain.