The Sound of Chinese Democracy: More Machine than Man

ITW 2012

Anybody else really dig the mechanical sound of Chinese Democracy? I think Axl's digitized vocal army is awesome. Some people hear overproduction but I hear heavy machinery. Like The Terminator stepping over the skeletal remains of a dead era. I can't wait for the sequel since it's supposed to be even meaner and darker.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The song or the album? It fits the song but ruins alot of the songs on the album (as far as vocals go). When I listen to SOD or Riad (off the top of my head) there's this annoying ringing digital sound to Axl's screams.

Edited by ItsSuchACrimeUKnowItsJAKE

The song or the album? It fits the song but ruins alot of the songs on the album (as far as vocals go). When I listen to SOD or Riad (off the top of my head) there's this annoying ringing digital sound to Axl's screams.

I meant the whole album. The digital Axl army is awesome. I'm so glad he went this route instead of recycling old song riffs and solos like Metallica did on Death Magnetic.

Guest RonMexico82

Axl is free to do what he wants but if you compare vocals from CD with any other Guns album they don't appear to be out front as much. Too much processing or whatever takes the edge off Axl's voice. Compare Scraped between album version and live version and you will see the result.

I meant the whole album. The digital Axl army is awesome. I'm so glad he went this route instead of recycling old song riffs and solos like Metallica did on Death Magnetic.

They've tried different things out and just sticking to what fans want and expect. Last time they tried to go outside the box, we were left with "St Anger". Worst album but best rock doc of all time.

half man, half robot CD has been sent back through time to destroy rock n roll

it certinally did

you would think Axl Rose would realize the effects of medeling in pro tools to such an exent on a serious studio album. the raw and natural has never failed to prevail. honesty in pronounced guitars and blood curling wails with no added gimmicks or computers is what makes rock n roll so great and powerful and completely different from all else.

Edited by JesusisSavior

Anybody else really dig the mechanical sound of Chinese Democracy? I think Axl's digitized vocal army is awesome. Some people hear overproduction but I hear heavy machinery.

i love it. i prefer the new vocal style to the old (as mexico says the vocals are much more central on CD).

i have to say at first i was a bit uncomfortable with it in a "yeah its awesome but this is so fake" kind of way, but seeing the band live so many times and hearing the songs its obvious axl doesnt just pull them off but actually improves them when left to his own devices.

'digital Axl army' :D

Is that the same as Axl's Digital Army.

A.D.A. - That's could work as the name for a band ;)

You mean like the Gorillaz? Not sure if Axl's got sunshine in a bag. Could work but I think 3D Axl is much better.

Edited by ITW 2012

I like the production of CD, it makes it different to AFD, UYI plus it opens up possibilities of it being more epic, this idea that pro tools are bad no matter what is a bit unlikely, it must have it's advantages, I know GNR were like the saviours of raw rock n roll, and purists want it to be that more natural sound, but its not like other bands like Stones/Zepp never tried to be futuristic, its just now it sounds classic, same with CD

if he had a chainsaw attached to his arm, it might be similar to this

armyofbrazil.jpg

He is looking like a demon slayer these days.

I like the production of CD, it makes it different to AFD, UYI plus it opens up possibilities of it being more epic, this idea that pro tools are bad no matter what is a bit unlikely, it must have it's advantages, I know GNR were like the saviours of raw rock n roll, and purists want it to be that more natural sound, but its not like other bands like Stones/Zepp never tried to be futuristic, its just now it sounds classic, same with CD

Hendrix and Zeppelin would have made albums like CD if they were around in this era. Raw rock n roll has been done to death. There's no future there and Axl knows it.

armyofbrazil.jpg

Hendrix and Zeppelin would have made albums like CD if they were around in this era. Raw rock n roll has been done to death. There's no future there and Axl knows it.

Hendrix recorded so much material it is absolutely sick,and you are correct he would have loved the digital playground.Remember,Axis was recorded on 4 tracks.Imagine what he would be able to achieve now.Zeppelin,same deal.

I think the characterization raw is inaccurate.Achilles Last Stand has 10 guitars going at one point.Page did all he could with what he had.Sit Jimmy or Jimi in a room,just some guitars and a good pro modern set-up,they would have done something on par with CD production wise,guaranteed.

The only difference is analog vs. digital.There is a difference.I've recorded material both ways,and I swear there is something missing with digital.It's AIR.The sound of the room.You can use all the plug-ins you want,there is not a way to make a digital signal sound like that.But,the problem is,since there are only a handful of us that still use turntables,it doesn't matter,Record on the sweetest analog set-up on earth,digitize and compress to mp3,may as well have used digital to begin with.

Hendrix recorded so much material it is absolutely sick,and you are correct he would have loved the digital playground.Remember,Axis was recorded on 4 tracks.Imagine what he would be able to achieve now.Zeppelin,same deal.

I think the characterization raw is inaccurate.Achilles Last Stand has 10 guitars going at one point.Page did all he could with what he had.Sit Jimmy or Jimi in a room,just some guitars and a good pro modern set-up,they would have done something on par with CD production wise,guaranteed.

The only difference is analog vs. digital.There is a difference.I've recorded material both ways,and I swear there is something missing with digital.It's AIR.The sound of the room.You can use all the plug-ins you want,there is not a way to make a digital signal sound like that.But,the problem is,since there are only a handful of us that still use turntables,it doesn't matter,Record on the sweetest analog set-up on earth,digitize and compress to mp3,may as well have used digital to begin with.

Good points. I'm an absolute Hendrix freak! I just think it's bullshit that Axl gets slagged for doing what other great artists would have done if they were around in this era.

Edited by ITW 2012

armyofbrazil.jpg

GNR isn't Mudhoney and AFD wasn't that raw anyway? I remember being like this is the new brutal sound, it was the new shit, not like this is so raw. Same with UYI, just up a notch for other bands. Same with CD. To have the sound of NIN but still be rock n roll, ITW is as rock n roll as MissYou, why are we even debating this? I mean how epic do the strings on Riad sound. And Clapton, Hendrix, Moore or whoever are more pure, GNR is stadium rock it has to be loud and have some real out of order keyboards.

Axl has always layered his vocals. He just took it to the next level on CD. It's definitely his most diverse performance vocally. The Zeppelin and Hendrix references were more to do with layering than anything else. I think Axl constructs his songs in a similar manner to Page and Jimi.

Edited by ITW 2012

I know what people mean on Riad, somehow you can't place the instruments but listening on a stereo makes it sound like this really flat sheet of metal and ur skimming across it, is there such a thing as digital sand?

I know what people mean on Riad, somehow you can't place the instruments but listening on a stereo makes it sound like this really flat sheet of metal and ur skimming across it, is there such a thing as digital sand?

I'd like to think that The General will contain digital sand.

I think it sounds best wen the two sounds are juxtaposed. Best example: Riad chorus. He says "Oh my salvation, oh my frustration" in this high pitched artificial sounding voice, then goes into really venomous voice for "you and I wove as well". It sounds fucking amazing. Also in Sorry, when he switches to higher pitched parts ("...nobody owes you...") it has the same effect. You can hear it in other places too.

I'd like to think that The General will contain digital sand.

baz said the general was awesome, he was right about sorry so he's must be right

my fantasy misconception is that it's about Custer's Last Stand or General Patton or "the general" as it relates to Atlas. So that's a threeway with all kinds of stds and indian scalpings

they should do the Riad video at the pyramids, they need to tidy that place up, broken glass everywhere and camels chasing all over the place.