why so many cover songs?

Chef Greg

axl rose and gn'r have a large library of great tunes and from so many different styles. why not play axl's music instead of dylan, ac/dc, elton john and pink floyd. if i want to see a cover band we all have one on the corner in our town.

For god sake, you guys have to complain about everything. "Knockin" and "Live and Let Die" are being played since old days; "Another Brick in The Wall" is an intro for November Rain; "Whole Lotta Rosie" has been played like what, 5 times ?? I think Axl loves these songs, the crowd loves it too. The whole thing is amazing.

Edited by marlon_brando15

once u see LALD and KOHD live... u will know "why so many covers"... WLR is beine covered since '87 by GnR... besides, and i speak for many, when i was a child (around 91-92) the first time i heard of LALD and KOHD i though they where from GnR not a cover... i think like the user above me has said, Axl likes them, the people like them, the band does a different version of those songs.... and like i said before, once u see them in a live show... u will know why they had been played since then...

Agustin

Knockin' and Live and Let Die are two covers they have recorded, and MORE people know THEIR version then the originals, Another Brick In the Wall isn't the full song, just an intro to November Rain like "It's Alright" was back on the UYI tours and Guns have been playing Whole Lotta Rosie since the club days back in 86'...so yeah, stop complaining.

Because it gets the crowd pumped up and they do a good job with it. But it's not like they're doing a lot of cover songs. GNR have been doing covers since day 1.

It's no different than Pearl Jam's shows, where they throw 2 or 3 covers in a 3 hour show, Metallica,Springsteen throwing a few in, or the Grateful Dead, who had plenty of original songs. Crowd loves em. Elton and Billy cover each other's songs, and Billy has his roadie sing "Highway to Hell" at his shows and straps on a guitar for it..

Maybe they're not doing enough UYI and nothing from TSI (speaking of covers), but the crowd knows everything on AFD, and GNR are doing a lot of Chinese Democracy songs, which is what they're out to promote. He's not doing the Neil Young thing where he's doing all of Chinese Democracy and coming out to do 1 or 2 songs that aren't "the hits".

There's MORE cover songs they could be doing, and the local cover band is doing Fall Out Boy and Green Day more than they are the classics.

You got to look at it this way; the band has released 80 songs and of those 79 almost 20 are covers. So if you see the band and they play 1/4 covers during the show that is representative of their catalog.

Smartass viewpoint ahead: The band still thinks they are a cover/bar band because the public doesn't know who they are and they are afraid to play THEIR songs (the new album) so they lean on the others and when they do sneak one of theirs in they don't introduce it or draw any attention to it.

Knockin' and Live and Let Die are two covers they have recorded, and MORE people know THEIR version then the originals, Another Brick In the Wall isn't the full song, just an intro to November Rain like "It's Alright" was back on the UYI tours and Guns have been playing Whole Lotta Rosie since the club days back in 86'...so yeah, stop complaining.

Really?? You think the GnR version of LALD is more famous than the Paul McCartney version from the movie?? Try again.

Also trying to pick the most famous version of Knockin' is a challenge cause theres so many covers of it, its kind of in the "standard" bracket.