Axl's voice at the last show

Mike Honcho

I may be over-analyzing things a bit, but watching some videos from the last GN'R show at Puerto Rico, I've noticed that while singing the high-pitched rasps in some songs, his voice sometimes goes out of tune, as if it ran out of control. The clearest example is

, but i have noticed it too in Better and My Michelle (of what i've watched so far). I think it's weird, considering the mind-blowing rendition of Don't Cry at the same show. So, might that be throat problems, sound problems, he is tired from the tour and needs some rest, or I just need to fuckin' get a life and stop watching videos for my own health?

That is a hard thing to control, especially after all the shows Axl has done in the past months. Just minor throat problems for the night and nothing to be concerned about.

That's probably annoys the fuck out out of Axl when he can't hit the notes he wants to while singing with the rasp. You can tell at some parts when he really pushes it to try to get it into tune and because he's most likely pissed off. A good example would be at 5:13 - 5:29. You can easily tell he's pushing it there on purpose.

I actually prefer that song when it's performed with "clean" vocals, e.g.

. (The way he builds up around 1:30 to the "To make you change your mind" part is awesome.) It's interesting how everyone complained about his voice on the Appetite/Illusion songs back in '01/'02, but we grew so accustomed to the "Mickey Mouse" vocals on the unheard tracks, that nowadays many people (myself included) actually feel like those renditions were better. Edited by Estranged Reality

. (The way he builds up around 1:30 to the "To make you change your mind" part is awesome.) It's interesting how everyone complained about his voice on the Appetite/Illusion songs back in '01/'02, but we grew so accustomed to the "Mickey Mouse" vocals on the unheard tracks, that nowadays many people (myself included) actually feel like those renditions were better.

Couldn't agree more. Madagascar is the perfect example for this case. Used to sing fantastic renditions with the so-called 'Mickey Mouse' voice; hell, I think the VMA performance was the best performance of Madagascar that GN'R has ever done.

Needless to say, after years of waiting to hear it, when the first Madagascar demo leaked in 2007...I was extremely surprised, to say the least, at the vocals on it.

I thought his voice was fine during that video !

But I know what you mean though...Catcher in the Rye and Prostitute live during the Asian shows...His voice going out of control...

Which is weird though : it's clearly not because of age. I mean did you listen to Bruce Dickinson in 2009 ? Sounded like during the eighties and Bruce Dickinson is constantly running around the stage, jumping etc.. unlike Axl.

Now I know that singing GnR the way Axl does is probably more demanding than singing some Iron Maiden, but still...

However, I wouldn't worry too much because overall his voice has been really good on this tour so far and got better with every show.

I said something siimlar in the other thread, he really did have some control problems...and importantly I feel its on the lower part of his "high raspy" voice. This probably suggests a certain amount of wear and tear, notice how he did something similar on many of the 01/02 shows, having to sing the notes higher to get the power he wants from the so called 'micky mouse' voice.

Honestly he needs a proper rest now, the small break between the Canadian tour and the SA/CA tour was no sort of 'rest' to have, esp the way Axl went all out partying, he more or less has been in 'tour mode' since Jan and the way Axl sings, your going to eventually become worn out, esp with certain parts of your voice that can blow out.

Also it may just be the case that Axl had got used to his voice being refreshed again, I find when I sing with a slightly bad throat when my voice recovers my control sometimes isn't quite so strong on certain notes, odd how it happens sometimes!

I may be over-analyzing things a bit, but watching some videos from the last GN'R show at Puerto Rico, I've noticed that while singing the high-pitched rasps in some songs, his voice sometimes goes out of tune, as if it ran out of control. The clearest example is

, but i have noticed it too in Better and My Michelle (of what i've watched so far). I think it's weird, considering the mind-blowing rendition of Don't Cry at the same show. So, might that be throat problems, sound problems, he is tired from the tour and needs some rest, or I just need to fuckin' get a life and stop watching videos for my own health?

this is actually kinda off topic but i keep noticing that every time dj plays robins solo on this song he does not use the wah pedal. Unless im mistaken robin always used a wah so why is dj not using it

this is actually kinda off topic but i keep noticing that every time dj plays robins solo on this song he does not use the wah pedal. Unless im mistaken robin always used a wah so why is dj not using it

His roadie plays the wah wah pedal. Also, his solo uses a lot of more that effect than Robin used to do.

Also, in this specific show, as you can see in SCOM video from the same user, that Bumblefoot played the wah wah solo but it was Fortus who controled the wah wah

His roadie plays the wah wah pedal. Also, his solo uses a lot of more that effect than Robin used to do.

Also, in this specific show, as you can see in SCOM video from the same user, that Bumblefoot played the wah wah solo but it was Fortus who controled the wah wah

yeah i figured as much but than whats the point of him actually having the wah pedal on stage

seems like hes losing it AGAIN *sigh*

Well consider hes age its prob not that bad, but omg how bad he sounds from time to time...And why do he even bother to play november rain.

That song dosent fit the mickey mouse voice at all....

I hope he uses playback when he arrives Bergen.

Rock on!

seems like hes losing it AGAIN *sigh*

Well consider hes age its prob not that bad, but omg how bad he sounds from time to time...And why do he even bother to play november rain.

That song dosent fit the mickey mouse voice at all....

I hope he uses playback when he arrives Bergen.

Rock on!

He's not really losing it, but his control was certainly off thats for sure that night.

I really think its nothing to do with the actually tiredness of his voice, esp given he actually had one of the least busy weeks he's had since the start of the Candian tour I'd imagine, I think there is something else at play that caused that.

Also, its hardly micky mouse voice, if you heard You Could Be Mine, his rasp on that was unreal at times...and lets be honest, the PR show was still better then a great many of the 06-07 shows even with some issues!

some notes are harder to hit than others, also the breathing timing on songs has to be right for you to have enough air to mantain or reach a note. It could be that Axl in some songs is still figuring out the best breathing moments for them (just my opinion from personal expirience)

Not only being a little tired and worn down from this tour, but think about all the years he was been screaming into a microphone, making all sorts of high pitched weird sounds. Who knows, maybe it is catching up to him?

Although I still think he has a good 5 years left to sing at the level he was been doing since about 2006.

. (The way he builds up around 1:30 to the "To make you change your mind" part is awesome.) It's interesting how everyone complained about his voice on the Appetite/Illusion songs back in '01/'02, but we grew so accustomed to the "Mickey Mouse" vocals on the unheard tracks, that nowadays many people (myself included) actually feel like those renditions were better.

I'd forgotten how much better that song was with the drums and guitar kicking in and Pitman's alien noises.... it could have been the best song on CD if it had been left like that. :(

To begin with, he always sings things differently. There are always little texture differences and different deliveries. Some times he sounds crisp, and sometimes he sounds worn down. Even at his worst, his voice is still appealing.

As far as longevity etc, I think he will be singing like this probably forever. If his voice can tolerate all that he has sung before, without completely breaking down, then it's pretty clear that it's here to stay.

I mean, he abused the shit out of his voice during the UYI tours. He was pushing sounds out of that thing that sounded painful, night after night, month after month. If his voice didn't break down after all that, then it's not going to break down now.