Whole Lotta Rosie

kyrie

Ok... back in the day there was a live cut of GN'R doing Whole Lotta Rosie on Live from the Jungle, which can't really be found anywhere.

GN'R has a long history of covers - everything from Jumpin' Jack Flash, Heartbreak Hotel, Nice Boys, etc. to Knockin' On Heaven's Door and Live and Let Die, to The Spaghetti Incident? to Sympathy for the Devil...

and honestly, of all the bands I can think of, GN'R has had the most success with covers.

So my question... should they consider doing a studio edition of Whole Lotta Rosie for a future album/soundtrack/B-Side? Or even another live cut with the current lineup?

They really do a kickass job, and I know popular opinion before Chinese Democracy was that we didn't want any covers on it since it had been so long since the band released new material - but now that it's out, I'm all for it.

Any thoughts? And this is just a big what if/idea thread, not starting any rumors ;) we've got plenty of those.

I rather see gnr do a bside of a re recorded 2002 version of KOHD or a 2006 version of Sailing.

This. Rosie is great, but Sailing would be so much better.

only problem is that the sailing cover should have robin on it and hes long gone

The Spaghetti Incident was for the most part an abomination and KOHD and LALD are about the only two songs in the entire catalogue that I skip every time they come on. The only covers they did that were good were from before they got big, so if they release a cover it better be Whole Lotta Rosie.

The Spaghetti Incident was for the most part an abomination and KOHD and LALD are about the only two songs in the entire catalogue that I skip every time they come on. The only covers they did that were good were from before they got big, so if they release a cover it better be Whole Lotta Rosie.

How can you skip KOHD?! :o It's an AWESOME cover!

And I don't really understand the hate TSI? gets, it's a great album. rock3

I'll go with TSI being lackluster but still not bad. Part of the intent was to go listen to the original versions, which at the time had to have helped sales for some of those artists. It's fair to compare it to "Garage Inc" or Bowie's "Pin Ups". I just think coming off of UYI, this was seen as "amateurish" when it should've been more "in the spirit of punk".

Someone could've Tweeted Jon Favreau and asked him, because AC/DC's doing the soundtrack for "Iron Man 2". It's possible Axl and AC/DC could've done "Whole Lotta Rosie". Maybe if GNR and AC/DC do a festival show the same day.

I'd rather they didn't. The magic in hearing the original 85-90 lineup doing covers, was that they were raw, heartfelt and helped display the band as one that wore their influences on their sleeve.

Sadly, KOHD failed miserably. It's great when you first hear it on UYI II, but then you go listen to the Ritz version, which is raw enough in comparison, it comes across as underdone at first, but then you realise what made that lineup so great to boot.

I agree, this is a different band... Axl wanted this band to be nothing like legendary classic line-up.. If they are gonna do a cover they shoudl cover Nine Inch Nails or something.. The old cover of Rosie they did was awesome and you can find it online easily.