All killer, no filler...

Ghostie

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I dunno how to explain it really, but there's some sort of swing or swagger in the riff on Anything Goes that makes it my third favorite track on Appetite behind Rocket Queen and Nightrain, so for me it's definitely not filler, but I can see why others might put it toward the bottom of the Appetite tracks, but I don't think that album has filler. Its filler is better than the best tracks on the albums of other decent bands from that era. For me, although I hardly ever listen to CD anymore, when I do, the filler for me is basically the stuff that had been played live for the previous half dozen or so years, some of it because I never liked it, some of it just because I'm tired of it. However, I wouldn't call that stuff filler, either, really. I also wouldn't call anything on Contraband filler, except the first track. Suckertrain Blues just never really kicks in, and the retarded lyrics kill it. Otherwise, though, Contraband is all killer no filler, imo. AC/DC's Let There Be Rock, Powerage, Highway to Hell, and Back in Black (and almost For Those about to Rock, other than a track or two) are all killer, no filler. That was a really great run for that band, from about 1976-1981.

"Scraped" and "Riad" both are filler.

riad rocks.

As does Scraped.

Seriously, nothing on CD comes as close to being filler as Anything Goes.

I agree. Anything Goes is definitely a filler, but then again, I love Riad, but it is a filler, as well.

Edited by Black Sabbath

I don't mean this as a dismissal, but I really liked it when I was about 14 or 15.

Going back to "Appetite" now, I just can't get into it. There's some cool guitar work, but I think Axl should have left it off. After hearing the Hollywood Rose album, it seems like they only put it on there because they had it (mostly) written already and wanted another track. I think it's a definite weak link. But I can't fault anyone for enjoying it; that's just my opinion.

Also, Steel Panther-Feel the steel

Dear god...

My friend played a track off that album for my roommate a couple weeks before the end of the semester, and he just kept playing it over and over again. He ended up getting drunk and walking down the dorm hallways with his guitar strapped around his shoulders strumming "Girl from Oklahoma" and singing, "So c'mon pretty baby, suck my balls all night," etc... We passed a group of girls and it was a nightmare. I never want to hear that song ever again.

Edited by Estranged Reality

Also, Steel Panther-Feel the steel

Dear god...

My friend played a track off that album for my roommate a couple weeks before the end of the semester, and he just kept playing it over and over again. He ended up getting drunk and walking down the dorm hallways with his guitar strapped around his shoulders strumming "Girl from Oklahoma" and singing, "So c'mon pretty baby, suck my balls all night," etc... We passed a group of girls and it was a nightmare. I never want to hear that song ever again.

hahahaha, dude. thats awesome... but i can see where it would get a tad annoying. But i do love their songs, they rock and it's fun. but to much would suck.

Black Holes and Revelations-Muse

Appetite for Destruction-Guns N' Roses

Rage Against The Machine-Rage Against The Machine

The Black Album-Metallica

The Downward Spiral-Nine Inch Nails

Images and Words-Dream Theater

Lateralus-Tool

Back In Black-ACDC

Are You Experienced-The Jimi Hendrix Experience

Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band-The Beatles

Yellow Mustard-The Atri Bell

:krider:

All GN'R albums have filler imo. Appetite is one of my favourite albums of all time but I still consider Anything Goes and You're Crazy to be filler.

An album having filler songs isn't necessarily anything terrible...Let It Be by The Replacements is probably the ultimate example of filler songs working great in album context, I mean Seen Your Video? Tommy Gets His Tonsils Out? Come on. I love those, but they're definitely filler. Still my fourth favourite album of all time or so.

All GN'R albums have filler imo. Appetite is one of my favourite albums of all time but I still consider Anything Goes and You're Crazy to be filler.

An album having filler songs isn't necessarily anything terrible...Let It Be by The Replacements is probably the ultimate example of filler songs working great in album context, I mean Seen Your Video? Tommy Gets His Tonsils Out? Come on. I love those, but they're definitely filler. Still my fourth favourite album of all time or so.

I agree with the GNR statement.

AFD has Anything Goes, You're Crazy and (while I like it, it's filler) Think About You.

UYIs are chock full of it.

TSI only has like 3 good songs.

CD has Riad.

All killer no filler albums are a thing of the past. The very distant past.

I agree with the GNR statement.

AFD has Anything Goes, You're Crazy and (while I like it, it's filler) Think About You.

UYIs are chock full of it.

TSI only has like 3 good songs.

CD has Riad.

All killer no filler albums are a thing of the past. The very distant past.

That is because killer albums are for the most part a thing of the past.

Machine Head...Deep Purple

...only if they would have put 'When a blind man cries' on the album instead of 'Maybe I'm A Leo'. It's really a shame that it was only a B-side.

No way!

Maybe I'm A Leo has a great groove...I've always loved that track.

It fits right in.