why doesn't GnR play more UYI?

rlucky73721

i became a huge loyal GnR fan after listening to UYI 1 & 2, these albums brought me to AFD and lies and of course CD.

is there a legal reason or he just doesn't want to play these songs live in concert?

thanks in advance!

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The average GNR show is around 18 songs.

Around six of those are from the new album. Leaving twelve spots for other songs. They're going to play fan favorites like Nightrain and Jungle over obscure shit like Locomotive and Coma.

Hope that helps.

Your reasoning has no logic. Twelve songs is more than enough to play all the classics and still include some other songs. Lets face it, GNR only have about five absolute classics which they have to perform as a staple at every show (SCOM, PC, WTTJ, Nightrain and NR).

This leaves plenty of room for fan favourites. And besides, what GNR fan doesn't know Estranged or Locomotive? They recently played Used To Love Her which is far more obscure than Locomotive.

Have they even played YCBM on this tour yet?

Edited by Towelie

Twelve songs is more than enough to play all the classics and still include some other songs. Lets face it, the GNR classics consist of SCOM, PC, WTTJ, Nightrain and NR and that's about it.

They played Used To Love Her which is far more obscure than Locomotive.

WTTJ, ISE, MB are all live GNR staples. You can't replace those. 3/12 spots taken.

LALD, KOHD, NR and YCBM are the UYI live staples, played at every show. 7/12 spots taken.

RQ and Nightrain are ferocious live songs that make for a much better rock show than Locomotive or Coma would. 9/12 spots taken.

SCOM, Patience and PC are all live GNR staples ever since they were released. Each one has to be played, even though I would personally drop Patience. 12/12 spots taken.

YCBM is played at every show.

Used to Love Her is FAR from obscure and was only played at the acoustic shows. I know many non-GNR fans who know that song.

Edited by bacardimayne

UTLH is more obscure than Locomotive. Patience aside, UYI was far bigger than any of the tracks from Lies.

KOHD and LALD could easily be dropped from the setlist and who would really care? Is Axl really that scared of breaking out of his comfort zone? I'm 100% sure Estranged or Don't Cry would get a far more enthusiastic receiption from an audience than two horribly dated, overblown covers.

Edited by Towelie

UTLH is more obscure than Locomotive. Patience aside, UYI was far bigger than any of the tracks from Lies.

KOHD and LALD could easily be dropped from the setlist and who would really care? Is Axl really that scared of breaking out of his comfort zone? I'm 100% sure Estranged or Don't Cry would get a far more enthusiastic receiption from an audience than two horribly dated, overblown covers.

Lol, no it isn't. UTLH is known outside of GNR fan circles. Locomotive isn't.

Sure, LALD could be replaced by Estranged I guess. KOHD is a necessity though. It gets a huge reception.

You can't have NR and Estranged in the same setlist at this point. They did a few times during the Illusions, but 2 ten minute songs in a show that are low tempo ballads like that kind of kills the crowd when you're most likely playing them at 1 am. The fan boys would love it, but John Q public will start getting bored.

You can't have NR and Estranged in the same setlist at this point. They did a few times during the Illusions, but 2 ten minute songs in a show that are low tempo ballads like that kind of kills the crowd when you're most likely playing them at 1 am. The fan boys would love it, but John Q public will start getting bored.

Thank you.

And that's Estranged, a somewhat well known song.

Try that with Coma, a 10 minute song that no casual fans even recognize.

Just because you know a few non-fans who know UTLH, it doesn't mean it's widely known. The vast majority of people who aren't GNR nuts will not know this song. Why would they? It wasn't a single, it wasn't even from a proper album.

The fact remains that, outside of the hardcore fanbase, the only GNR songs which a casual listener would know are the hits from AFD, and NR. Possibly YCBM and Don't Cry as well.

Those are the only songs which need to be staples. If we're talking about casual fans who are only going to a GNR show to see the hits, then I don't see them getting excited about hearing LALD or KOHD.

Just because you know a few non-fans who know UTLH, it doesn't mean it's widely known. The vast majority of people who aren't GNR nuts will not know this song. Why would they? It wasn't a single, it wasn't even from a proper album.

The fact remains that, outside of the hardcore fanbase, the only GNR songs which a casual listener would know are the hits from AFD, and NR. Possibly YCBM and Don't Cry as well.

Those are the only songs which need to be staples. If we're talking about casual fans who are only going to a GNR show to see the hits, then I don't see them getting excited about hearing LALD or KOHD.

I was at a show and people went nuts for KOHD and LALD. Same with pretty much every AFD song. Even OTGM. People would not get excited for stuff like Coma and Locomotive unless they knew them. The AFD songs are just naturally good for getting the crowd pumped up, even if they don't know the songs.

The AFD songs are just naturally good for getting the crowd pumped up, even if they don't know the songs.

Agree. BUT, UYI songs will get the crowd more pumped than CD songs. Isn't this the 3rd Chinese Democracy tour or something? I think a lot of people want some Illusion stuff again. They should start playing Civil War, Right Next Door To Hell, Perfect Crime and Get In The Goddamn Muddafukkin' Ring rock3 rock3 rock3

I wouldn't be upset if they played Don't Damn Me either :D

The AFD songs are just naturally good for getting the crowd pumped up, even if they don't know the songs.

Agree. BUT, UYI songs will get the crowd more pumped than CD songs. Isn't this the 3rd Chinese Democracy tour or something? I think a lot of people want some Illusion stuff again. They should start playing Civil War, Right Next Door To Hell, Perfect Crime and Get In The Goddamn Muddafukkin' Ring rock3 rock3 rock3

I wouldn't mind those songs being added to the setlist as long as they didn't take the place of anything from AFD/CD, November Rain or KOHD.

Seeing as they never played Don't Damn Me and Get in the Ring back on the UYI tour, i dont see either being played now.

As for UYI, i'd kill to see a few more, especially Estranged, but this is the first tour since the release of CD, I think it's important they play those songs moe than they UYI ones. And i love the CD stuff, so i'm all for it as it is now!

Edited by seely

They play Used to Love Her on the radio here all the time, on both the calssic rock and the rock station. I think way more people know that song. I've never heard Locomotive etc. on the radio.

The crowd reacts more to the AFD era songs. It's like one big greatest hits album. It's like asking why AC/DC does almost all of "Back in Black" live. People just know that album like the back of their hand.

UYI isn't "obscure". Someone going to a GNR show might not have listened to it in a while, but they know most of the songs.

We're talking about a band that has a whopping 4 albums in 23 years time. "Obscure" is something like "Crash Diet".

UYI isn't "obscure". Someone going to a GNR show might not have listened to it in a while, but they know most of the songs.

We're talking about a band that has a whopping 4 albums in 23 years time. "Obscure" is something like "Crash Diet".

Or anything off of CD

It's suuuch a pitty they don't play more UYI songs (and less AFD), especially since they have been doing this for so many years! For me, the Illusions are definitely more important than Appetite.

The reason is probably that Axl values AFD highly and UYI not so much. He once made a comment about that and also said that the fans would appreciate AFD a lot more as an album, with their favourite song eventually coming from UYI.

Coma is more well known than LALD...... And it's just a better song. I don't know what kind of GnR fan doesn't know the song Coma, and regardless if people knew the song or not by the end of the song, people would be shitting themselves in excitement. Fact.

Now, I can kinda understand why they wouldn't play Estranged regularly. It's a long song, and similar to Nov. Rain. Still, that doesn't mean they can't play it live ever again.

Really no matter what reasons you guys have for not playing a certain UYI song, I don't see why they couldn't play it once live. It's not like the very fabric of the show would fall apart.

Anyway, no one knows why they wouldn't but Axl and the rest of the band.

Your reasoning has no logic. Twelve songs is more than enough to play all the classics and still include some other songs. Lets face it, GNR only have about five absolute classics which they have to perform as a staple at every show (SCOM, PC, WTTJ, Nightrain and NR).

This leaves plenty of room for fan favourites. And besides, what GNR fan doesn't know Estranged or Locomotive? They recently played Used To Love Her which is far more obscure than Locomotive.

YCBM, as has been pointed out, is played at every show. That was a huge single for the band, and given the exposure from Terminator 2, a huge song that crossed fanbases pretty widely. It's probably the most popular "heavy" GN'R song. Arguably, it's one of the must-play songs - and one of my favorites live.

You're also forgetting Patience, which is played most (but not all) shows.

SCOM, PC, WTTJ, NR, YCBM, Patience, Nighttrain, KOHD (also a big song for the band), LALD (another cover but still a pretty big single), suddenly you're down to free spots when you include six new songs.

Also keep in mind that some songs may have been penned by ex-bandmates and while legally allowed to play whatever they want, this GN'R lineup may not wish to play certain songs.

I frankly was fucking thrilled at the setlists I got on this tour in Toronto and Hamilton. Best setlists of the six shows I've been to, period. I heard every song I really wanted to save one or two. But you can't please everyone.

I'd think that part of the reason you don't hear songs like Coma and Civil War is due to the vocal strain of the songs. Those beat the shit out of Axl 20 years ago. That also ties into why each guy gets his own extended solo song so as to give Axl time to recover. Coma obviously is never going to get played due to it being Slash's personal baby. I'd love for Estranged to get played sometime, too, but I think it is pretty clear why it isn't. Duff and Izzy's songs aren't going to be played unless one of them have a guest spot at a show.

Yesterdays is the only song from UYI that I think would actually have a chance to get played live, but I have to imagine that would mean one of the other piano driven songs would get cut. I'm not sure I'd want to drop Street of Dreams for Yesterdays. Plus, a good portion of the rockers are kind of weak to begin with. To me at least. Ron throwing a bit of Estranged during the Pink Panther might show there is a possibility it will eventually get played. That's how Don't Cry started and that is a staple now. The negative emotions associated with the albums and era may contribute as well.

I'd think that part of the reason you don't hear songs like Coma and Civil War is due to the vocal strain of the songs. Those beat the shit out of Axl 20 years ago. That also ties into why each guy gets his own extended solo song so as to give Axl time to recover.

I used to kind of buy into that, but when you see Myles playing with Slash recently hopping from song to song with no breaks or solos (except for one) singing CW, NIghtrain, SCOM, PC and other vocally demanding songs it tells me maybe there is more Axl should be doing as a vocalist to keep his voice in shape if he's needing breaks and oxygen that much just to get through the show. They played 3 days in a row last weekend and he sounded as good the 3rd day (on an afternoon after a night show) as the Friday show, so there must be things you can do as a singer to work on your technique to avoid some of the problems Axl seems to have maintaining his voice.

I'd think that part of the reason you don't hear songs like Coma and Civil War is due to the vocal strain of the songs. Those beat the shit out of Axl 20 years ago. That also ties into why each guy gets his own extended solo song so as to give Axl time to recover.

I used to kind of buy into that, but when you see Myles playing with Slash recently hopping from song to song with no breaks or solos (except for one) singing CW, NIghtrain, SCOM, PC and other vocally demanding songs it tells me maybe there is more Axl should be doing as a vocalist to keep his voice in shape if he's needing breaks and oxygen that much just to get through the show. They played 3 days in a row last weekend and he sounded as good the 3rd day (on an afternoon after a night show) as the Friday show, so there must be things you can do as a singer to work on your technique to avoid some of the problems Axl seems to have maintaining his voice.

Then again Axl is nearly 10 years older then Myles...

but still, you have to sing properly for your vocal chords to sustain longevity

Singers like Prince and Bono have lungs set for life- predominate wailers/screamers like Axl and Roger Daltry can only go so far

Edited by JesusisSavior

Around six of those are from the new album. Leaving twelve spots for other songs. They're going to play fan favorites like Nightrain and Jungle over obscure shit like Locomotive and Coma.

Shit like Coma? That's one of their greatest songs ever, period.

And your argument doesn't work, there's no difference in UYI play rate compared to 8-9 years ago and now that CD is out.

Coma's a great song, but it's not a casual fan favorite like Jungle and Nightrain are.

AFD is a much more popular overall album than the UYIs, so they play more AFD.

Guest Satanisk_Slakt

Shit like Coma? That's one of their greatest songs ever, period.

And your argument doesn't work, there's no difference in UYI play rate compared to 8-9 years ago and now that CD is out.

Coma's a great song, but it's not a casual fan favorite like Jungle and Nightrain are.

AFD is a much more popular overall album than the UYIs, so they play more AFD.

Ok? Since when did Guns sell out? Whatever happened to "we play what the fuck we want to", the attitude that GN'R is known for?

Nothing. My opinion is that they're just too lazy to learn to play more old songs written by the old band.

:lol:

Yeah, when has Axl ever done that...?

By the way, playing what the fans want to hear isn't selling out oneself.

Edited by Satanisk_Slakt