Catcher In The Rye, IRS and The Blues(street of dreams)

Riddick Bowe

Axl voice directly destroyd the blues. It just doesnt fit to the song. Sounded definetly best in Rio 2001...

On Catcher the song is badly mixed and Fincks solo isnt half as good as the original from Brian May.

For IRS the song somehow souns different, and i like the first demo alot better...

The Blues is the worst song on the album. Never liked it because of Axl's voice. He has never sung with such an awful voice before.

The rest of above mentioned songs are OK.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I prefer SOD to The Blues, the vocals have a harder edge which suit the lyrics better, it's more determined. SOD rocks live, it's not just a camp piano ballad it's a swaggering mission statement.

While I agree with this point, I recall the 2002 Boston version of the blues and the 'clean' vocals of that performance was more heart broken, like a different sentiment was reflected in that voice.

I prefer the album version and those rough vocals though. The contrast of the music with Axl's hard edged singing is something special.

Catcher: I remember when that demo leaked, only a few people here thought that May's solo was any good. I loved it from the first listen, like a lot of members here, but it didn't recieve love like other leaks.

In a 1999 version of the album, the demo could have been perfect, as Brian's solo, but Bumble's solo is just a reworked version of that idea which, was a reworked version of May's idea by Axl and some other guy. Ron did a great job imo by the way.

Is it just me..because I am a vocalist..that I sometimes hear Axl almost mockingly sing some of the lyrics? Ive been listening to many of the bootlegs from this era and I ill hear intonations from Axl that make it sound like he is singing it completely without spirit and belief. I know sometimes in rehersal ill mouth the words to save my voice or not sing the song with the gusto of live performance because were focusing on the bands interplay and my vocals are there to refer to. Wonder if thats what Axls up to?

I havent seen this topic brought up before ..(brought it up in fear that Id be gang fucked as an Axl hater) yes ..having said that...ill be damned if Im going to assume the position for all of you people out there that think that critisism is all negative and live in the either/or mind set.

Axl has been a primary vocal hero of mine since I was in my teens and I have studied his vocals keenely.

Is it just me..because I am a vocalist..that I sometimes hear Axl almost mockingly sing some of the lyrics? Ive been listening to many of the bootlegs from this era and I ill hear intonations from Axl that make it sound like he is singing it completely without spirit and belief. I know sometimes in rehersal ill mouth the words to save my voice or not sing the song with the gusto of live performance because were focusing on the bands interplay and my vocals are there to refer to. Wonder if thats what Axls up to?

I havent seen this topic brought up before ..(brought it up in fear that Id be gang fucked as an Axl hater) yes ..having said that...ill be damned if Im going to assume the position for all of you people out there that think that critisism is all negative and live in the either/or mind set.

Axl has been a primary vocal hero of mine since I was in my teens and I have studied his vocals keenely.

What lyrics do you say have that vibe?

I Can't believe there's people out there that think Ron's solo is better than May's.....

You'd have to be a musician or really into music to understand. As far as i'm concerned, I think Brian May (or any guitarist from that era, Angus Young, Van Halen, or even Slash) are severely overrated.

Ron is a guitar virtuoso playing with feel, totally understanding what GNR is. To me it's interesting to get Joe Satriani type guy in a rock n roll band, it sort of makes me enjoy that type of playing more, whereas on their own it's a bit long winded. Sort of like how I like Iron Maiden's sound but sometimes don't connect with the song.