Catcher In The Rye, IRS and The Blues(street of dreams)

Riddick Bowe

I don't know why you all focused so much on the first Catcher solo. I love it, yes, but the outro solo is brilliant and Ron's rhythm work is simply outstanding.

we focus on it because that is what we are discussing.

but yes, the outro solo is brilliant

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree with others, Ron's solo fits the song better as the energy build up and drums towards the end make the speed of the solo seem a better fit. I also think that sound fits better in the over-all album sound. I agree on IRS it seemed the raw demo gave it a more Sabbath edge and was darker/gloomier to me but I like the final version as well.

As for the album having lots of little parts spliced and such, it does, that's modern mixing for you but to me it is fluid and, for the most part, fits very well. Rather than sounding disjointed (as it seems to for some) to me, it just sounds very layered. Compared to the old stripped down rock sound of AFD, it take more listens to get into it because there is a lot to digest. Also, it helps a lot on repeated listening because I always find something new and interesting in the mix.

There will never be an album that we, as arm-chair producers, wouldn't change SOMETHING about but I don't hear anything drastic I would change with CD and think it's one of the better albums out there. In the last ten years I haven't heard anything in the rock industry that really lit my fire and CD does so I guess nuff said there.

Most of the bands I find doing great stuff today are virtually unknown artists that have something I stumble across on CDbaby or some-such.

I don't like Brian May's solo on Catcher at all, it doesn't fit the style of Guns N' Roses. It's like he didn't have the time to really think this through and it's not even up to his own standards. I'd like to hear the two unheard tracks he's worked on though.

I don't like Ron's solo either on Catcher but it's much more technically advanced than May's solo so it's better, and it's a pleasure to hear this as a guitar amateur, there is a great work and melody in his solo, I will always be amazed by this guitarist. But I don't think it fits the song either, it doesn't have the right emotion. I'm not going to say "this track misses Slash" I think Finck should have done this final solo, 1 year a half after first hearing Chinese Democracy, I think that Finck came up with the best solos on the album (first solo in there was a time, and this I love) and offers the best GNR alternative to Slash, in my opinion (now this alternative is Ashba, hope he'll bring a nice blues on the songs). And of course Buckethead did some great amazing work on TWAT and other songs. But now Bumblefoot was a special case, he wasn't allowed to get the track and had to remember everything by heart, now he's been in GNR for four years and live he's better than ever so I'm curious to hear his upcoming work for GNR if there's any.

I think the final version of Street of Dreams is perfect, though I like the way he sang the "wo oh oh oh oh" better in the demo, but the final mix is mindblowind if you have a good stereo, really I can't understand how some people can dare to say that the demo sounded better.

Same for IRS, it's basically exactly the same voice for Axl but the mix is much much better on the final cut, the thing that changed is that they added a bridge on the final version that makes the final version meaner and matches the agressive lyrics. But I agree that the melody was a bit better in the demo because the bridge wasn't there and the result was smoother, very pleasant to the ears, but I think Axl wanted something that sounded badass and he succeeded with this added bridge.

Overall, I don't think that what you get on Chinese Democracy is inferior to the demos, the mix is spectacular if you have a good stereo, and the choices that were made all have a reason and a purpose and I think it serves the album very well.

what about the Blues I mean, really look at this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J3-gXl3pWAE

and then this

you cant even compare.....2001 is definetly so much better..this isnt the song it used to be.

Devil's advocate, I actually like the 06 version better..... something about the space at the beginning where the song slowly creeps up rather than the guitars coming in on that short beginning hit in the 01 recording (I know that seems to be the opposite of everyone else) The spacing/tempo in the 06 recording gives it more haunting atmosphere to me, which I like. I understand the energy and the rock of the recording in 01 appeals to others more but for some reason it's the opposite for me and I like the grit in Axl's voice better on the 06 recording. Hey, everyone has their opinion, great we have both versions to listen to like this.

IMO mays solo is great i love it but, the album version 'fits' with the 'sound' of the whole album where as mays does not. it is more old school gnr than new guns.

Agree. Now, the build up in the Maddy solo compared to the demo, loses a lot of energy on the album for me. I don't know if it's the mix or different parts or what, I just know the feel in the demo is like an explosion at the end back into the words where the album version seems to just SLIP from the solo back into the words..... Glad can hear both versions.

It could also be because most of us have been listening to at least live versions of some of the songs since 2001, and we heard (and most of us liked) the unfinished product. Therefore, CD wasn't as "special" when it was actually released.

Exactly!

what about the Blues I mean, really look at this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J3-gXl3pWAE

and then this

you cant even compare.....2001 is definetly so much better..this isnt the song it used to be.

The final version of Street of Dreams is perfect :) I don't know how you can say his voice destroys the track...

And I don't think we can compare the final version to a live version he did 10 years ago either :>

Hey folks... When these song leaked into the Internet couple of years ago i thought these songs were great, and in fact they sounded like real Guns N Roses songs...I think they easily could fit in on the Illusion records..However, when the songs were realesed on the record they diddnt sound as good as the original demos.

Axl voice directly destroyd the blues. It just doesnt fit to the song. Sounded definetly best in Rio 2001...

On Catcher the song is badly mixed and Fincks solo isnt half as good as the original from Brian May.

For IRS the song somehow souns different, and i like the first demo alot better...

I have heard alot of people agrees with me on this, and i wonder what you guys think,,

Its is weird, that these songs had the old sound in the late 90s, and then Axl used almost 10 years to come off with a result that is weaker...

well they sounded like the 90s because those demos were from 1999.

I think the majority of GNR fans like the demos better because they sound like old Guns.

Well I got news for you, the rest of the album (besides Blues, IRS, Catcher) don't sound like old Guns at all either.

Everyone has their own preferences with everything from song quality, band lineups, band members to Axls hair.

Whatever thats fine. The important thing is whatever Axl did for new GNR he had good intentions for GNR in mind when he did it.

I don't care whatever you people say about the early IRS or The Blues demo's.. but the original Catcher In The Rye demo with the Brian May solo is friggin' amazing and completely owns the album version. When I want to listen to that song.. I always pick the demo version.

I don't care whatever you people say about the early IRS or The Blues demo's.. but the original Catcher In The Rye demo with the Brian May solo is friggin' amazing and completely owns the album version. When I want to listen to that song.. I always pick the demo version.

I never listen to the album versions of these songs.The demo is much better. Im not thinking about the Blues demo bacaause thats sounds exactly the same....the first version from rock in rio 3 is so much better. The song was much better with he helium voice for some reason.

IRS, i cant put my finger on it, but it the demo it sounds so sharp and raw. The album version doesnt!!

Finck doesn't play the solo in Catcher, Ron does and even then I like it more than Mays.

Yes, but without May's, there wouldn't BE a solo...or atleast anything similar. Even Axl admitted that they used May's solo as a "map".

I never listen to the album versions of these songs.The demo is much better. Im not thinking about the Blues demo bacaause thats sounds exactly the same....the first version from rock in rio 3 is so much better. The song was much better with he helium voice for some reason.

IRS, i cant put my finger on it, but it the demo it sounds so sharp and raw. The album version doesnt!!

I think that "The Blues' from RIR 3 was one of the worst GUNS ever played live! As for May vs. Ron, love both. At the end some people could say that Brain May solo fit better, but obviously Axl didnt see it that way. I think he knows how Guns music should sound more than us. IRS demo was a little weak for me. The drumming sounds much better on the album version, thanks to Brian! :thumbsup:

May's solo has the "I can hum this!' quality to it - it's easy to comprehend, easy to "get", easy to feel apart of.

Bumble's solo, depsite how many times I listened to it, is simply un-hummable, I'm never really sure where it's going.

May's solo is like comfort food.

Bumble's is like going out for Thai or Indian food when you're a white guy in the midwest. An adventure.

Sometimes, more often than not actually, I like the comfort food.

IRS ---

There's the crunchy guitar work over it, which puts itself over what used to be the slow pulsing of the electronic Pittman section. There used to be less guitar on the track, so the guitar used to mean more.

And the vocal mix on the song sucks balls.

The Blues ---

Well, I liked it best in 2002, also.

"Everyone knows" that the Brian May version of Catcher In The Rye is more beautiful than the final album version. Ron shredds the song to pieces ...

The album version of IRS has lost its edge somehow. It's as if the demo was on steroids, but at some point between the demo and the album, they sent IRS to rehab or something ...

Oh, and regarding The Blues, this is all there is to say: "OK, nevermind" ;)