Appetite 4 Destruction Will Never Come to Rock Band/GH - Slash

sidman69

I wouldn't give that story much credit.

For starters, while Guitar Hero was an issue, GN'R seem to have a good relationship with Rock Band. I have no doubt that at some point, something will come along, when the right deal can be made.

Really, they should get November Rain in the new version, since it has keyboards... that would be an epic song to play along to!

Didn't Axl say that he had no problem with "Welcome to the Jungle" being on Guitar Hero 3 and that it was only Slash being directly associated with it and appearing in the song that he was against? Slash is obviously in with Activision as he has two songs appearing in the new Guitar Hero game and has appearing in-game during Guitar Hero 3 and has had a few Velvet Revolver songs in their games in the past. Activision is the company that Axl said lied up until Guitar Hero 3's release about Slash appearing in with "Welcome to the Junge", so it's probably only Activision that Axl is against. I personally don't think Slash knows much better than we do about Axl's stance on these games, and if Chinese Democracy appearing in full is any indicator, he probably isn't very against them. I doubt we'll see it in Guitar Hero, but I think Harmonix would be able to work something out. I see no reason why they wouldn't be able to.

EDIT: Nevermind, I just went back and re-read his quote about this thing. He said he didn't care that Slash was in the game but not being directly associated with "Welcome to the Jungle". He never says he had no problems with the song being in the game, but if you take away the first sentence my statement is just as true. Axl seems to have no problems with HMX and he obviously isn't against music games as a whole or else he wouldn't have released Chinese Democracy as DLC. Whether or not he doesn't want to release songs from the older band is beyond me, but I don't see why not as he still licenses the stuff to other forms of media and as long as you aren't playing as Slash, Izzy, Duff, or Steven or anything I still don't see the problem.

Edited by LightningBolt

I would be surprised if any back catalog stuff showed up on either RB or GH from here on out. Slash is not going to agree on licensing to RB because he is associated with GH, and vice versa for Axl regarding old stuff to GH. Getting them to agree on anything related to the back catalog is often like pulling teeth if one side has a particular vested interest or relationship with the party looking to license something.

I would be surprised if any back catalog stuff showed up on either RB or GH from here on out. Slash is not going to agree on licensing to RB because he is associated with GH, and vice versa for Axl regarding old stuff to GH. Getting them to agree on anything related to the back catalog is often like pulling teeth if one side has a particular vested interest or relationship with the party looking to license something.

Does Slash need to agree? I'm not sure personally who owns the rights to the licenses to whatever, but I'm sure most of you guys do. In the article it says that Axl has the rights to all of the licenses, but that doesn't seem right to me, so I'm wondering if they messed up in the article. But, if it is true, then Slash doesn't actually have to agree and we could see it in Rock Band.

EDIT: Here's the quote:

Slash claims that it's less than likely since Axl Rose holds all rights to Guns N' Roses licenses.
Edited by LightningBolt

Does Slash need to agree? I'm not sure personally who owns the rights to the licenses to whatever, but I'm sure most of you guys do. In the article it says that Axl has the rights to all of the licenses, but that doesn't seem right to me, so I'm wondering if they messed up in the article. But, if it is true, then Slash doesn't actually have to agree and we could see it in Rock Band.

Slash/Duff/Axl all own a 1/3 of the back catalog. Although I think Axl sold his for that $20 million, so when licensing old stuff they all have to be on board. Although Axl can still block anything he wants because even if he doesn't own the back catalog anymore he owns the GNR copyright and band name, which would preclude them from licensing a song they own because of the band name being Axl's. I am pretty sure that is how it goes at this point.

Axl can do anything he wants with the new stuff as he owns 100% of it. The old stuff though I am pretty sure he can stop anything he doesn't want, but without getting Slash/Duff on board he can't really license anything related to the back catalog even though he owns the GNR name.

It is a very fucked up situation, and part of the reason there has always been relative gridlock when it comes to using anything out of the back catalog for commercial purposes. It has gotten a little better the past few years, but for a while GNR's old stuff never appeared anywhere commercially as they could never seem to agree on anything.

That makes sense.

Well, I guess we may not see it for a while afterall. Activision will most likely never win Axl back, but I don't see why Harmonix wouldn't be able to suck up to Slash.

The article is BS, though, since it's basically saying Axl is keeping AFD from being on either game.

Edited by LightningBolt

i dont think it will happen. i dont think axl has much interest in promoting the old band. which sucks. :thumbsdown:

its kind of funny they struck up opposing allegiances, guitar hero vs. rockband.

ill side with axl on this one as well.

Axl can do anything he wants with the new stuff as he owns 100% of it.

Does he?

What was the resolution of the lawsuits?

I think Slash and Duff got paid for CD, and thats why Axl didn't promote it.

I think thats been the hold up, this whole time.

i dont think axl has much interest in promoting the old band.

Well why didn't he just change name. Or go on without it?

No disrespect, but I think Axl is very much interested in making money off of the legacy; The only problem is, any kinda of promotion Axl does for GNR, will forever be linked to, and help Slash and vice versa.

I think Axl knows that, and hates that fact to such a degree - that he does nothing.

Also, who is to say that Slash and Duff aren't getting a 10% cut of cd sales. We don't really know the resolution to everything.

Yeah we know the Axl owns the name - but what are the details?

Edited by SunnyDRE

I don't think Axl is keeping the album from going to Guitar Hero as a slight at Slash or Duff, I think it's because of what went down with "Welcome to the Jungle" and Slash with Guitar Hero 3. The stuff he addressed in his chats. If he's telling the truth, he has every right to not want his stuff on Guitar Hero games.

Slash not wanting his stuff on Rock Band most likely has more to do with a nice exclusivity contract for staying with Activision than any ill-will toward Harmonix.

Of course I don't know for sure, but it makes sense.

[

No disrespect, but I think Axl is very much interested in making money off of the legacy; The only problem is, any kinda of promotion Axl does for GNR, will forever be linked to, and help Slash and vice versa.

I think Axl knows that, and hates that fact to such a degree - that he does nothing.

i mostly agree, i dont think its that he doesn't want to promote the band at all, i think he just doesn't want to promote that era of the band. promoting the old band promotes the slash - gnr link. you get people playing nightrain on RB and its not DJ Ashba, its slash. axl would rather promote the new material, or his new bandmates (guitars suck on RB). promoting the old band just promotes the slash - gnr link and i dont think axl wants anything to do with that.

imo, he didnt change the name because he still feels its in the spirit of guns n roses. as far as axl is concerned guns n roses does not = AFD line up. its an evolving entity. tracii became slash, became bucket, became ron, ect.

im with him to an extent. i think the 2001-2002 group is guns n roses. ill accept that. CD is a great album and it earned its spot in the GNR legacy. but IMO, this new band has not earned it yet. i saw 3 shows and they were great, i have high hopes for this group, but until they put out an album to call their own, its just a touring band.

Edited by Jackie Moon

If I'm not mistaken, I think to get the license for a GnR song you need both Axl and Slash's approval. If they don't agree, something happens and (from what I've read) Duff then gets a say on it. I'm not sure if this is 100% true, but I know that's why it's so hard to get granted the license.

Wasn't Welcome To The Jungle on the original Rock Band? Wasn't it used a demo many times?

Wasn't Shackler's Revenge on Rock Band 2? Wasn't the whole Chinese Democracy avaible for Rock Band 2 as a DLC?

Isn't Guns N' Roses rumored to appear on Rock Band 3?

Slash is talking bullshit. Again.

Wasn't Shackler's Revenge on Rock Band 2? Wasn't the whole Chinese Democracy avaible for Rock Band 2 as a DLC?

Isn't Guns N' Roses rumored to appear on Rock Band 3?

All new material you're referencing, so there are no problems.

There has been no old GNR material on Rockband since Slash became exclusive with guitar hero, and I suspect it will stay that way just as we are done seeing old GNR stuff on GH now that Axl got pissed about Slash being able to play Jungle on the game.

So no, Slash was not talking bullshit. Axl won't let him license old stuff to gh for sure, and Slash is not going to ever agree to having a rock band Appetite as long as he is with GH.

Axl can do anything he wants with the new stuff as he owns 100% of it.

Does he?

What was the resolution of the lawsuits?

I think Slash and Duff got paid for CD, and thats why Axl didn't promote it.

I think thats been the hold up, this whole time.

Also, who is to say that Slash and Duff aren't getting a 10% cut of cd sales. We don't really know the resolution to everything.

Yeah we know the Axl owns the name - but what are the details?

Though I agree in part, I'm not sure it's for the money, rather than for spite of the other band members getting called GnR. I think he dislikes the fact that guys who, in his mind, abandoned the band, make fame and profit off of its name. Not that this is really a moral reason for it, it makes more sense to me. Axl doesn't seem like he does any of this for the money. That was the original lure of GnR to me in the first place. They seemed real while many other bands of the late 80s and early 90s seemed very fake. So, I view Axl's position to be misguided, yet still genuine and not about money.

i dont think it will happen. i dont think axl has much interest in promoting the old band. which sucks. :thumbsdown:

its kind of funny they struck up opposing allegiances, guitar hero vs. rockband.

There is a shock.

Go play Rock Band for an hour, and then play the new Guitar Hero for an hour.

You'll know immediately why Jackie prefers Rock Band.

There is a shock.

I couldnt play Guitar Hero for an hour after Rock Band.

There is a shock.

I couldnt play Guitar Hero for an hour after Rock Band.

Rock Band is by far the better game