Are Today's GNR a Better Live Band?

Axl Knows

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No, quite the opposite.

Then you're delusional. Not surprising considering your sig.

The new band ARE better live, and this is coming from someone who prefers the old band overall.

Hey thats quite an interesting take!

You awere at the Wembley 91 show right? So you;ve seen bith line ups.

What is it about the new line up that you prefer? Also is the current line up you like best or the 02 version with Bucket and Brain?

NuGnR plays GnR songs with Rob Zombie's visual effects and NIN's production.

Have you been to a NIN show? Especially the last tour (with Robin!) for the full stage production?

There's not many bands that even remotely come close to the production that NIN did on that tour. It was mesmerizing. In fact, the only band that I've seen top that production was Floyd's Division Bell live production. U2's last tour was flashy, but not mesmerizing.

GNR's tour is a good production, but certainly no where near what NIN did. I think the music plays a huge part of that though, too. Some examples (NIN):

And then of course, the Floyd... nothing tops this show:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BZSWAkJ3h8E

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y2aOccbfAqE

Watch that last one for, hands down in my book, the greatest stage spectacle of all time. Make sure to watch it all the way through. Once you think it can't get any better, it does.

GNR is average at best when it comes to 'wow' factor with their live productions compared to this stuff.

lol at this thread

In answer to the question, no.

Who's gonna be surprised at you saying that? I think deep down you know that new GNR are the better live band, you're just reluctant to admit it due to your nostalgia/bias.

Nah deep down I know that the old band were a better live band.

Can my nostalgia be sepia toned? It makes everything seem more ye olde tyme.

You're a new GNR hater though. You listen to every recording and performance with your biased preconceptions set in stone. Can't exactly rely on you for an analysis on the old vs the new, can we.

I prefer the old band and I'm still willing to admit that the new band is more consistent/better live.

You're a new GNR hater though. You listen to every recording and performance with your biased preconceptions set in stone. Can't exactly rely on you for an analysis on the old vs the new, can we.

I prefer the old band and I'm still willing to admit that the new band is more consistent/better live.

Ooh, I've never been called that before. I also wasn't aware that you think you know me.

No, I'm not a nuGnR hater but I do think that they're not as good as the old band live.

Guest Nasty Nate

No, quite the opposite.

Then you're delusional. Not surprising considering your sig.

The new band ARE better live, and this is coming from someone who prefers the old band overall.

I would rather see the people who helped write the music that made Axl well known. :shrugs:

I think they are. Much more consistent. The guitar work especially is MUCH better live these days. Slash and Izzy were (and still are) pretty sloppy on stage.

The last time I saw the original line up was nearly 20 yrs ago, so it's difficult to compare. In fact I can't form an opinion, they were both awesome in their own way. I'm guessing some of you guys are basing this off youtube videos or what?

Hate to compare old to new since they have such different styles. I will say this line up is sounding really tight, especially on the CD songs they sound like they're playing with some purpose. And I agree with Wasted, tommy stinson is on board the pirate ship for sure this go round.

not going to claim to know the answer to this without seeing all 4 line ups live.

youtubes and bootlegs are no basis for judgement.

i saw 06 and 10, according to that, 10 is much better. the only thing better in 06 was axls image and the status of brain.

ashba is an upgrade on robin, not sure about studio work yet but crowd interaction and charisma, loved it. ron also really settled down and stopped trying to fill shoes.

I think they are. Much more consistent. The guitar work especially is MUCH better live these days. Slash and Izzy were (and still are) pretty sloppy on stage.

The last time I saw the original line up was nearly 20 yrs ago, so it's difficult to compare. In fact I can't form an opinion, they were both awesome in their own way. I'm guessing some of you guys are basing this off youtube videos or what?

exactly. this has nothing to do with which line up is actually better, this is all about which line up you prefer, which is based on bias. i prefer the 01 bucket line up. but im not going to claim they were THE BEST without seeing all line ups in their element. i havent even seen the 02 line up, but i havent seen 88 or 92 so its a level playing field as far as that goes.

Edited by Jackie Moon

Have you been to a NIN show? Especially the last tour (with Robin!) for the full stage production?

I have only been to a NiN with Aaron North show I have to admit.

However I have seen the All That could Have Been dvd and I believe the NuGnR shows can more or less rival with that.

The Lights in the Sky tour, ok, I give you that, GnR is nowhere near that good ;)

As a live act, absolutley. Apart from that, not all of the players are phenominal musicians (stinson, pittman, and especially ashba)

Richard, Frank and bumble can play any style on their instruments and transcribe music perfectly. They are professionals that rely on this ability to survive in the music world.

Ashba couldn't tell you what scales or relative key he could be in, he just gets by.

The difference in the past and the now is simply Axl. Axl used to come on stage with an explosive energy, sometimes negative, sometimes positive energy, but none the less, pure energy. They had to pull the faders back when Axl was in his hey day. He was (and I understand there will be some Freddie Mercury, Steven Tyler, and others to argue about) the BEST frontman EVER!! I saw Them in 1989, and 1992, and Axl commanded the stage. I'll give Slash and the band there due, they were great, but everyones attention was always on Axl Rose. The guys voice exploded on your ears often overpowering the guitars, drums and bass. If you have not seen the reaction Axl gets in his duet with Elton John on Bohemiun Rhapsody, you've got to see it, to me thats the Axl Rose I remember seeing in concert. The crowd explodes, and he just nails the entire performance, I forgot Elton was even there. Axl still is incredible, and his voice today is bringing back the memories of the AFD and Illusion era, but its just different. The prescence is drained, to long he has been missing from the music scene, and no longer is reveled by millions. My kids only know who Axl is because of what i've told them. I'd love it if Axl became part of the mainstream again so everyone (especially the youth of today) could see what an incredible artist, vocalist and performer this guy is.

+++1