New trend for the mainstream media - youngsters?

WhazUp

What is up with this? These so called "artists" in the media are getting younger and younger. The first wave was with Hannah Montana and the Jonas Brothers. And now it is getting even younger now that we have Justin Beiber. What is up with society's obsession with glamorizing kids who's voices haven't even changed yet?

At least in the late ninties Britney Spears, Christina Aquilerra, etc. were a little older than these artists.

What can these kids possibly sing about? They are way to young to be singing about heartbreak and situations that they are too young to even comprehend.

Edited by WhazUp

I guess it's because the industry is trying to get at the tween demographic, which has shown to be a huge market. Using young people as the attraction (e.g Justin Bieber etc) makes it easier for the kids to like it as they're around the same age as the person.

The good thing about this is that none of these "musicians" will be around for long, I guarantee that within 2-3 years the world would have forgotten about Justin Bieber. I mean, I haven't heard anything to do with the Jonas Brothers in a few months. I guess their time is nearly up.

I really can't stand the teeny bopper pop stars.

However, I have a slight bit of new found respect for Bieber. In his weekly column for the Seattle Paper Duff discussed the Bieber concert he recently took his 2 daughters to.

Actually, for those of you who may scoff at the idea of a pop teen idol (and I am usually at the top of that list), Justin Bieber is actually . . . the real deal. I have been to more than a few of these teenage arena concerts. I won't name names, but for the most part they are lip-synch affairs. As a musician, it bums me out. When I go to a concert, I don't want to listen to tape, and I don't think my kids do either. At that point, you feel like you were just brought to the arena to buy a T-shirt and pay a bunch of dough for parking and bottled water.

Justin Bieber is a whole other animal. Firstly, he writes his own songs. Also, he plays guitar live, and his band is pretty damn slammin'. There was no lip-synching, either. I would go as far as to say that if you like old Jackson 5, then you may be an eventual recipient of Bieber Fever yourself. I'm just sayin' . . . If nothing else, it was a good time that harkened back to '70s pop.

http://www.heretodaygonetohell.com/board/index.php?topic=52995.220

I can't stand his music, but I can respect that he is at least writing his own songs and singing live as I had figured he was being spoon fed songs by a label somewhere like the Britney's and Christina's of the world were in the 90s.

Slash has also come down with Bieber fever, as he and Perla apparently wanted to take him to a strip club earlier this year in Australia apparently after Bieber asked Slash to go to dinner with him earlier in the day. Apparently his mom and handlers said no. Something tells me the fact he's like 15 or 16 probably factored into the decision.

funny thing is, history has clearly taught us the limelight is no place for kids to be growing up. Just look at how Michael Jackson, Lindsey Lohan, Gary Coleman, McCully Culkin, and countless other child stars ended up... they're all fucking weirdo's, and Justin Bieber is going to be the strangest of them all, just you see.

Picture a 40 year old man with that face and hair...

Ehhhh, Justin Bieber is listed in the songwriting credits...along with 7 other guys. We all know how that works in pop. The artist said "hey, put this there" and gets a songwriting credit, meanwhile some nobody named Jswags is writing the vocal melody and still not getting nearly as much money.

Guest deleted_19765

Have you ever heard of Stevie Wonder or Michael Jackson? This isn't a new trend at all. You could say that its enjoying a resurgence though.