GNR no Major Touring in the USA Why?

rocker rockstar

They played the US over the past decade, and I think he wanted to take the show to places they don't get to play as much, where the sales have been decent, and the crowd reaction's been the loudest. Some artists love playing other countries, some artists dread it. Van Halen never toured outside of North America last tour.

What if GNR just decided never to tour America and play a festival show here and there, and tour the rest of the world?

If a band isn't coming around soon, book a flight and make a trip out of it.

I'd prefer they'd play smaller venues and charge more to see them, but they want a big stage setup and large crowds. I think the residency format is good, esp. in Vegas. Would Axl take Steve Wynn up on a multimillion dollar deal to play Vegas for 5 years? Probably... a theater and sound system designed to Axl's liking, a short plane flight away, and a lot of people coming in to see the show from everywhere. And as far as when the show starts, it would be easier to pull off going on stage at midnight-1 AM there.

There is no way in a million years Axl would perform in Vegas for a career. He isn't a sell-out. Plus, I don't see Guns N' Roses as an act in Vegas anyway.

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They played the US over the past decade, and I think he wanted to take the show to places they don't get to play as much, where the sales have been decent, and the crowd reaction's been the loudest. Some artists love playing other countries, some artists dread it. Van Halen never toured outside of North America last tour.

What if GNR just decided never to tour America and play a festival show here and there, and tour the rest of the world?

If a band isn't coming around soon, book a flight and make a trip out of it.

I'd prefer they'd play smaller venues and charge more to see them, but they want a big stage setup and large crowds. I think the residency format is good, esp. in Vegas. Would Axl take Steve Wynn up on a multimillion dollar deal to play Vegas for 5 years? Probably... a theater and sound system designed to Axl's liking, a short plane flight away, and a lot of people coming in to see the show from everywhere. And as far as when the show starts, it would be easier to pull off going on stage at midnight-1 AM there.

There is no way in a million years Axl would perform in Vegas for a career. He isn't a sell-out. Plus, I don't see Guns N' Roses as an act in Vegas anyway.

Same demographic at Sturgis, that would be at Vegas shows. It's not going to be a bunch of college kids.

Guest Nasty Nate

I believe it's simple economics: Supply and Demand. There's not a lot of demand in the United States, so in turn, there's not going to be a tour.

Not sure why this is a mystery.

I don't see how a U.S tour makes money. And no promoter is going to want to deal with Axl and his shenanigans for anything less than a sure thing.

Axl's shenigans + no promise of $BIG DOLLAZ$ on the back end = no U.S. tour

I think the cowboy hats have been subliminal advertising for a USA tour. Axl knows that, especially in the middle of the country, the only things that draw are nostalgia acts and country acts. He's just letting the image seep into the collective conscious. Then he'll be welcoming Idahoans to the farm.

I actually think he would do well to hit some smaller cities in the Midwest.

Instead of St. Louis, why not Omaha? Instead of Chicago, why of Des Moines? Instead of New York, why not Hartford?

Lawsuit may have something to do with it, but I think it probaly has more to do with potential sales and revenue.

I don't think this version of GNR could sell out Convention centers (basketball arena's), and maybe some promoters are a little leary.

think about it......if you owned an arena, or you worked for a city that owned the convention center - would you rather book gnr and sell 11,000 tickets (capacity 20,000).....or do wwe, rotc meets, cheerleader comps, that will sellout?

Gnr should do a club tour.

You book the arena and sell 11,000 tickets if you're a promoter with a brain. The arena owner has nothing to do with it, because the arena is rented out at a flat fee and that has nothing to do with tickets. At most, they'll make money of refreshments, and you'll sell more beer and snacks at a GN'R show than at a cheerleader competition or ROTC meeting, or even WWE given their attendance sucks now due to UFC eating away at their viewership (I work in a related industry, I've seen the PPV buy rates for WWE these days vs. UFC, and the WWE gate is down too).

You underestimate the popularity of those things; but hey you live in canada, so it's understandable that you wouldn't really know what draws, in the US...probaly just talking out of your ass.

Sorta like I do when we're dicussing what's popular in Canada, .....oh wait,since I don't live in Canada, I don't do that.

No, I'm not talking out of my ass, and wow, aren't you a charmer. You think there's some sort of huge cultural difference between the two? Guess what, what's popular in Toronto is more or less what's popular in Buffalo, Detroit, New York, etc. (at least the Northern US). We share the same TV, radio stations, movies, etc. The same tours wind up here. And I spend enough time in the U.S. to have a clue about what draws in some areas there. Yes, cheerleading is more popular down south but go back to what I said - financially, the arena is booked flat rate and makes any extra sales based off refreshments/beer sales. One of the GN'R shows I was at set an arena record in beer sales. A second show I was at ran out of beer. The crowd GN'R gets tends to spend a lot of that. You think you're moving that amount at a meet populated by families? Different crowd. And it's not like there's THAT many cheerleading events clogging up arenas nation wide. There are plenty of open arena dates for any show - it's not really even a concern.

So no, I don't underestimate shit, and the only one talking out of your ass is you. I just told you I work in a specific field where I see buy rates and overall results. Those are north american PPV buy rates, kiddo (no idea how old you are but you come off like a petulant teenager). So the one time in a year the WWE comes to town - it's not going to impact a possible concert at all. And while we're on the subject, here's a link to recent WWE attendence figures: http://www.wrestleview.com/viewnews.php?id=1276116493 - so the venue should book WWE over GNR in your thinking? You listed that as an example. Eat your words kiddo. "6/5 Smackdown in St. Louis did 4,000 fans" Just because they train the cameras on the packed areas of the arena during broadcasts, and still sell well at big events, doesn't mean the house shows, or even a lot of the broadcast shows, draw much.

And again, there aren't even enough of these events for it to matter. You make it sound like the arenas are packed to the rafters every night, and you know damn well that they aren't. The biggest obstacle any tour would have is scheduling around NBA/NHL schedules since those are set in stone.

Next, you're blabbing out of your ass about club shows. The band has gear, and equipment for this current tour that is not suitable for club shows. While they could drop it, it does not make financial sense. They already have all the materials they need for such a tour. Booking it, with the right promotion, even if they play to half-empty arenas, is still the way to go, unless you're worried about ego.

Most club show promoters couldn't pull off a gig with a band like GN'R because they don't have the experience and couldn't arrange what's necessary. They also don't have pockets deep enough.

Right now, Hole, Smashing Pumpkins, and Primus are doing smaller venue shows. Guns? You don't put Guns in a club venue unless it's a one-off or secret show.

Bands like STP, Motley Crue, Alice in Chains, etc. are playing arenas and Ampitheatres and drawing LESS than Guns but they still manage to make a profit.

Alice Cooper and Rob Zombie have just announced some U.S. dates in the fall after a test run up here and in the Northern US on the Gruesome Twosome tour (Cooper stole the show the night I saw them) and they weren't packing the sheds they played (ampitheater in Toronto was half empty, nor did they draw any more in Buffalo, but the tour was still profitable enough to warrant another leg).

I suggest not commenting if you don't have a clue. Arenas are *rented* and they will book on a first come, first serve basis in most cases. Certain promoters may own/control venues (LiveNation) but that's it.

The only thing that would concern GN'R at this point is securing a promoter (if they don't already have one), and LiveNation controlling venues/the ticketmaster merger. However, with the DOJ watching Azoff's pals very closely, they're not likely to fuck around, as witnessed by the fact that some of the Euro GNR shows were promoted by LiveNation. And RockNRev is sold via ticketmaster.

If you still don't believe me, look at Sturgis. Look at what band has top billing. If you want to see where GN'R intends to go, size wise - they're not suddenly going to downsize. It's been a BRUTAL concert season this year if you know ANYTHING about the business (it appears you don't) which is making GN'R's decision to tour elsewhere look like a splendid idea. I wouldn't be surprised to see them do some festival dates next year, or their own tour of the U.S. in early-mid 2011. And no, it won't be club shows. It'll be arenas. They won't be packed houses, but the large markets will sell well, and if the band is smart they'll avoid too many smaller, secondary markets, but the band gets a flat fee anyway, so the risk is mostly to the promoters.

I love how some Europeans (absolutely not all) put down the US for being too fat, to stupid, too arrogant, not good enough for GNR blah blah blah blah. But then they're also the first to gloat about how much better fans they are etc. etc.. Isn't that arrogance? Takes one to know one I guess.

News flash: GNR played a whopping 16 dates in Europe. The last U.S. tour was what, 25 or more shows? If GNR did 16 of the biggest markets, in arenas that are bigger than arenas in Europe for the most part, in the US, they'd be more successful. They were on the last tour, and they'll do it again this tour.

I'm just afraid it might not happen in the states because of the Azoff thing. He does control Ticketmaster and the concert market in the US.

What don't people understand about that? Instead it has to be about "we're better than you lolozlolozlzololoz".

Some of you need to grow up.

Lawsuit may have something to do with it, but I think it probaly has more to do with potential sales and revenue.

I don't think this version of GNR could sell out Convention centers (basketball arena's), and maybe some promoters are a little leary.

think about it......if you owned an arena, or you worked for a city that owned the convention center - would you rather book gnr and sell 11,000 tickets (capacity 20,000).....or do wwe, rotc meets, cheerleader comps, that will sellout?

Gnr should do a club tour.

Potential sales probably the main reason.

Stadiums in the US are massive, and I doubt GN'R would sell nearly enough seats.

but the band gets a flat fee anyway, so the risk is mostly to the promoters.

There is your problem. I suspect Axl has not adjusted his fee downward to reflect that GNR 2010 is not the sales monster they used to be, and still wants promoters to pay him like they used to in 1992. That would explain perfectly why GNR is not touring in the U.S.

Axl wants a financial guarantee on his end most likely commiserate with a band that sells arenas out every night. Promoters look at it and see that outside of NY city at best they can expect 50-70% occupancy for the shows, so there is zero incentive to do business with him.

Not a good place for a big tour right now.

No, it's not a good place for bands that have unrealistic expectations about the size venues they can realistically play in 2010.

The elite acts are still selling like hotcakes and adding nights. Quality never goes out of style.

I love how some Europeans (absolutely not all) put down the US for being too fat, to stupid, too arrogant, not good enough for GNR blah blah blah blah. But then they're also the first to gloat about how much better fans they are etc. etc.. Isn't that arrogance? Takes one to know one I guess.

News flash: GNR played a whopping 16 dates in Europe. The last U.S. tour was what, 25 or more shows? If GNR did 16 of the biggest markets, in arenas that are bigger than arenas in Europe for the most part, in the US, they'd be more successful. They were on the last tour, and they'll do it again this tour.

I'm just afraid it might not happen in the states because of the Azoff thing. He does control Ticketmaster and the concert market in the US.

What don't people understand about that? Instead it has to be about "we're better than you lolozlolozlzololoz".

Two things - one, there's more than 16 Euro shows when you count what they've already played, and what's to come. I'd expect more (Germany at the very least) at some point. Maybe later, maybe next year, who knows.

Two, Azoff - by way of the LiveNation/Ticketmaster deal - is under intense scrutiny in the US right now. Anti-trust lawyers, the DOJ, yada yada... one wrong move and it could be his downfall. Long before Axl made any accusations about Azoff's tactics, there were major concerns that this deal would mean LN would try to control artists.

See, for years, LiveNation has been overpaying artists in order to cut out the competition. Ever see what Motley Crue got from them? It's sick.

Now, this year the concert industry has basically gone bust in the U.S. It's the worst summer in recent memory. Tours are dropping dates like crazy. Even supposed "top artists" like Rhianna are canceling gigs.

http://www.reuters.com/article/idUSTRE6675X120100708

"The top 100 tours grossed $965.5 million during the first six months, a 17 percent slide from the year-ago period"

Remember, GN'R did pretty well in those PollStar lists this year. Honestly due to the economy in the U.S., overseas markets make more sense for a lot of artists right now.

However, I fully expect a GNR tour in the U.S. next year. And LiveNation won't be any concern lest they attract the wrong sort of attention.

In the end, all that matters is - will the tour be profitable.

2006 was profitable enough. If Gn'R can manage to sell well in the larger markets - and they did in 02 and 06 - a U.S. tour in 2011 won't be a big deal. I do think they should try some ampitheater dates, and pick better opening acts - Filter right now would be a great idea since they have a new CD coming out. And since they keep playing with Alice in Chains at some festivals - that would be interesting too for 2011 if it would be worked out.

Edited by kyrie

Yeah, I agree with you, this is ridiculous.

They did a warm up in Asia and then went to Canada, where they played really small venues, and not all of them sold out.

Then Guns N Roses played 15 concerts in Latin America, all in big stadiums or 40.000+ venues, and all of them almost sold out and if Im not mistaken the profit was almost 16 million dollars.

Then a small Europe Tour, followed by a festival concert in the US (where they will have their profit even if nobody attend) and then a big Europe Tour.

The way I see it is.... no profit, no tour. And as I said before, why run the risk of touring US if you can sell out other continents?

No, it's not a good place for bands that have unrealistic expectations about the size venues they can realistically play in 2010.

The elite acts are still selling like hotcakes and adding nights. Quality never goes out of style.

Wrong.

OgAAAFxCHtMd60YF4pWhsd_qvaIde7XW-nccXkuwK2Y80lk7Zdu7LP141mJotv_1AGKF47oNT7qbByqcHI9VC9hn2kIAm1T1UF_dBhUMmasUS3hKQnezPyKJfb_q.jpg

124981.jpg

What? Did I understood well? GNR sold out three 50.000+ stadiums? One of them was actually 60.000+ and sold out in only a few days? Cool!

Edited by ManetsBR

What? Did I understood well? GNR sold out three 50.000+ stadiums? One of them was actually 60.000+ and sold out in only a few days? Cool!

According to Billboard, GNR sold out zero shows so far the past year. Do you have access to better information than they do?

109252-top25tours.jpg

http://www.billboard.com/#/events/ac-dc-bon-jovi-lead-top-midyear-tours-amid-1004104778.story?page=2

Looking at the numbers, it also supports that GNR needs to downsize venues somewhat, as they have far and away the worst capacity utilization rate of the top 25 tours.

Edited by Naupis

heres my view on this, lets say everything in the USA is pretty much a worst case scenario for new GNR right now (which i dont think it is as much as people say) my point is they have to start somewhere. The USA is a shallow country and they need stuff shoved simply down their throat, this GNR has never done that so if they ever want the stupid USA population back on their side they are gana have to start "doing" stuff for them like tours, shows, music videos, interviews, and new albums. They have yet to do even the bare minimum so yea they need to start somewhere. I was originally hoping Axl would be releasing the next album this fall and would likely start the USA tour right before its release to gain interest and let the people know hes alive, but yea that aint happening. I would only say it makes sense to hold off all the USA work to be done IF they are waiting to do it right. Like i feel giving a new album to them is the most important game changer so obviously if that is happening like within the next year at most then just wait till that all comes together then do the promo the right way and accordingly for that.

Naupis, I have acess to what the tour promoter revealed after the tour, and according to them many concerts sold out. The promoter is T4F in case youre interested, the 4th biggest in the world. Like, for example:

soldoutriver.jpg

gigantinho.jpg

And the promoter on the Taiwan concert also reported that the tickets selling was breaking records.

Edited by ManetsBR

According to Billboard, GNR sold out zero shows so far the past year. Do you have access to better information than they do?

109252-top25tours.jpg

http://www.billboard.com/#/events/ac-dc-bon-jovi-lead-top-midyear-tours-amid-1004104778.story?page=2

Yea bud I wouldnt take that too serious Billboard is known to be retarded. Just look at how they messed up the Metallica attendance figures.

but the band gets a flat fee anyway, so the risk is mostly to the promoters.

There is your problem. I suspect Axl has not adjusted his fee downward to reflect that GNR 2010 is not the sales monster they used to be, and still wants promoters to pay him like they used to in 1992. That would explain perfectly why GNR is not touring in the U.S.

Axl wants a financial guarantee on his end most likely commiserate with a band that sells arenas out every night. Promoters look at it and see that outside of NY city at best they can expect 50-70% occupancy for the shows, so there is zero incentive to do business with him.

It does when you charge 200$ a ticket.

I would suspect, based on the European tour, that GN'R's fee (and this is just a guess) isn't that extraordinary - look at the number of shows booked. They played Europe in 2006 as well after all.

Also, 70% capacity at an arena gig can still be profitable. Stop thinking about sell outs. Promoters, when they're working out finances, are not booking gigs expecting them all to sell out. This is a critical mistake made by many posters in this thread.

They rent the venue, pay the bands, cover marketing, make other arrangements...

I can almost promise you that on a 50% sold show, most promoters will at least break even.

Let me give you an example on arenas:

The Air Canada Centre in Toronto is a minium 25,000$ booking fee, vs 18% of the gate, whichever is higher, for public events.

Add on costs. Lets be safe and say at least double that.

50,000$ (could be more, but this is a decent number)

the venue holds, with floors, lets say 16,000 for end stage concerts.

Lets say you sell half, and to make it easy:

5,000 tickets @ 80$ = 400,000$

3,000 tickets @ 45$ = 135,000$

total at the gate (not including ticketmaster ass-raping fees) = 535,000$

that's assuming you sold 50%. Now, GNR's always a near sell out in Toronto, and will do well in Boston, Chicago, New York City, etc.

MSG is going to cost more to rent out but the ACC is a big, modern venue in a major city, and the dollar isn't far off. A lot of smaller US cities will see similar math.

I'm simplifying here. But what this boils down to is, depending on ticket prices, the fee for the band, venue rental, insurance etc - a half sold show still turns a profit.

Even if the band takes 200,000 of that 535,000, and you minus 50,000 for venue rental and costs, you've got 285,000$

Now, the band has to pay their crew. The promoter has to pay for advertising, but it's not as much as you'd think - local tv spots, radio, print, net.

This is why promoters still book arena shows knowing the artist might only sell 4,000 or 5,000 tickets. The show will still turn a profit depending on what the band's take is and what costs are.

109252-top25tours.jpg

Looking at the numbers, it also supports that GNR needs to downsize venues somewhat, as they have far and away the worst capacity utilization rate of the top 25 tours.

You're nitpicking. Again, if all you care about is selling out every show, you're not realistic, and you'd be a failure in the concert business.

No one cares about capacity utilization. Many acts book arenas and do a half-venue setup with half the seats blocked off, then announce a sold out show. It's not utilizing capacity, it's understanding economics, and at what price you can sell tickets while still getting enough turnout to be profitable.

I don't think you want to argue that GN'R sold well in South America. That was a very profitable tour, even if they didn't technically sell out.

Naupis, I have acess to what the tour promoter revealed after the tour, and according to them many concerts sold out. The promoter is T4F in case youre interested, the 4th biggest in the world. Like, for example:

soldoutriver.jpg

gigantinho.jpg

And the promoter on the Taiwan concert also reported that the tickets selling was breaking records.

Can you translate what some of the articles say?

Europe fans are not better we appreciate good music better rock3 jk.

The band probably had better offers from european promoters that's it. It does seem that the financial crisis it's not as bad in Europe as in USA, at least for concert's, so promotors are willing to take bigger risks, guarantee more shows and give higher pays. Here in Portugal (with the highest unployment rate i could remember) some summer fests broke atendance records and big concert's are selling great. What do you expect the band to do? wait on their asses for some american promoter that could deliver thouse 20 something shows you're talking about? Make 500 bucks a night touring clubs? It's amazing how for some of you it's allways the band fault and if they wanted sky would turn red for your entertainment. Other than opportunity there's no other sensible reason for GNR not to tour the USA don't you think?

soldoutriver.jpg

gigantinho.jpg

Can you translate what some of the articles say?

Those are not articles, those are the prints from the websites that were selling the tickets for the concerts, Ticketek, for the Buenos Aires concert, and Tickets4Fun for the Brazilian Tour, and both say the concerts are SOLD OUT, AGOTADO and ESGOTADO means SOLD OUT in Spanish and Portuguese respectively.

109252-top25tours.jpg

Yes dude, I have access to better information than Billboard does. Rolling Stone reported that GNR was doing the 3rd better (in terms of $) tour in the year, and they reported also that they had many sold out concerts.

It should also be mentioned that this chart says recordings from shows between November 2009 to June 2010 and says GNR did 25 shows in this period but by the way it looks to me between that period GNR did some 44 shows not 25.

Yet another point that blows this Billboard shit.

None of the shows was sold out and there were no shows with more than 40.000 people in attendance. Please check the facts!

Show Venue/City (Shows/Sellouts)

Ginásio Nilson Nelson, Brasília, Brazil (1/0)

Mineirinho, Belo Horizonte, Brazil (1/0)

Estádio Palestra Itália, São Paulo, Brazil (1/0)

Gigantinho, Porto Alegre, Brazil (1/0)

Estadio Vélez Sársfield, Buenos Aires, Argentina (1/0)

Total Attendance (Capacity)

110.327 (125.785)

http://www.billboard.com/events/hot-tours-metallica-guns-n-roses-coldplay-1004081618.story?tag=hpfeed#/events/hot-tours-metallica-guns-n-roses-coldplay-1004081618.story?tag=hpfeed

None of the shows was sold out and there were no shows with more than 40.000 people in attendance. Please check the facts!

Show Venue/City (Shows/Sellouts)

Ginásio Nilson Nelson, Brasília, Brazil (1/0)

Mineirinho, Belo Horizonte, Brazil (1/0)

Estádio Palestra Itália, São Paulo, Brazil (1/0)

Gigantinho, Porto Alegre, Brazil (1/0)

Estadio Vélez Sársfield, Buenos Aires, Argentina (1/0)

Total Attendance (Capacity)

110.327 (125.785)

http://www.billboard.com/events/hot-tours-metallica-guns-n-roses-coldplay-1004081618.story?tag=hpfeed#/events/hot-tours-metallica-guns-n-roses-coldplay-1004081618.story?tag=hpfeed

Both Palestra Italia and Velez Stadiums had a 45 thousand + attendance.

6 South Americans concerts sold out and many were 35.000+ attendance.

Edited by ManetsBR

Two types of people in the world...

Those who go to see Guns N' Roses this year... And those who watch updates on an internet forum......