Soundgarden

Turn_It_Up

Hands down--BEST SHOW I'VE EVER SEEN

Last night so euphoric more of a religious experience than seeing a show given how cool it was seeing these guys together again. So wanted to wait until today to give a more clear headed review.

Still no doubt, best and favorite show ever. AIC's been really good and probably the closest stylistically, but this show totally wiped the floor with them. Gotta say, this show made New Guns and VR shows their bitches, too. Just so dark, so intense and so FUCKIN' HEAVY the whole way through really hard to even compare. No pyrotechnics, no uneccessary solos, no bullshit of any kind. Just 4 guys in the most no frill way kickin' your ass for 2 hours straight. Shit, SG was on the far south stage and Arcade Fire a mile away on the far noth stage and people at the Arcade Fire show saying SG was so loud you could hear the bass.

Not only was it so loud and heavy, but the across the board level of musicianship was as good as you're gonna get. First off, put any concerns about Cornell's voice way the hell out of your mind. When you're able to close this intense of a show with Slaves and Bulldozers, that's balls and CC delivered. Had to have a chip on his shoulder after the abuse from his last solo album, but was in pretty good spirits(for him!) all night, even going way out into the crowd passing by me during Outshined. He didn't pussy out stopping after the first few rows, look how far out he was:

Thayil and Shepherd mostly stayed to their sides and did their things, letting CC be the focus, but what beasts. Thayil played with such precision and anchored things. In terms of showmanship, the 2nd star with Cornell was easily Cameron. Literally thought his eyes were gonna explode out of his head he was drumming so hard on Jesus Christ Pose. Fuck is he good, as though you didn't already know.

Hopefully they announce a world tour soon cause it'll be worth every penny seeing as many shows as you can. Dead Flower, bring about 10 pairs of boxers 'cause you're gonna be creaming. rock2

Any New Guns or VR fans taking offense to saying SG's show makes the others their bitches, go check out SG and then come back. Those felt like Miley Cyrus compared to this. :o

Set List:

Searching With My Good Eye Closed

Spoonman

Gun

Rusty Cage

Blow Up The Outside World

Let Me Drown

Flower

Outshined

Jesus Christ Pose http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=huie9A7NoOs

Fell On Black Days

Ugly Truth

Get On The Snake

Burden In My Hand http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z6l0EG3sV5w

Superunknown From VIC night earlier

Black Hole Sun http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Om9maChi8w

Mailman

4th of July http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2cM16h6JDCU

Encore

Face Pollution http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9cYvQ5B63Uo

Like Suicide - bad vid doesn't do it any justice, was awesome - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hNMXhnLQHY4 far back but better audio http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yd2fc-uQgIY

Slaves & Bulldozers http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d5a7_nIS9Jw

Anyone else go last night?

Edited by Turn_It_Up

Must be a big ass world tour coming. Australia confirmed for early 2011:

------------------

Soundgarden To Rock Oz in 2011

Dave-O 10 August, 2010 - 9:28 AM

It's time to get your flannelette shirts out because Seattle grunge legends Soundgarden are coming down under!

Yes, the band responsible for hits like "Black Hole Sun" and "Spoonman" and who with Nirvana pretty much defined the grunge sound back in the nineties will be doing shows in Australia in 2011.

Our music reporter Nui Te Koha revealed all this morning. "Soundgarden will be here in 2011. Australian promoters are up at Lollapalooza in Chicago trying to lock down these dates but it will happen early this year."

When pressed for exact timings Nui said it will be, "January, February, March next year."

The grunge legends reunited recently at the Lollapalooza festival and they have a new compilation album coming out in September called Telephantasm, which contains one new song called "Black Rain".

Following the band's split in 1997 Chris Cornell, Kim Thayil, Matt Cameron and Ben Shepherd have kept themselves busy with various projects.

Chris Cornell teamed up with members of Rage Against The Machine to front Audioslave and pursue a solo career that included some highs and lows (he did an album in French which was a shocker).

The band just played the massive Lollapalooza festival in Chicago on the weekend with Green Day and Lady Gaga.

http://www.triplem.com.au/sydney/music/news//blog/soundgarden-to-rock-oz-in-2011/20100810-9hld.html

Edited by Turn_It_Up

------------------

It's time to get your flannelette shirts out because Seattle grunge legends Soundgarden are coming down under!

Yes, the band responsible for hits like "Black Hole Sun" and "Spoonman" and who with Nirvana pretty much defined the grunge sound back in the nineties will be doing shows in Australia in 2011.

Our music reporter Nui Te Koha revealed all this morning. "Soundgarden will be here in 2011. Australian promoters are up at Lollapalooza in Chicago trying to lock down these dates but it will happen early this year."

When pressed for exact timings Nui said it will be, "January, February, March next year."

The grunge legends reunited recently at the Lollapalooza festival and they have a new compilation album coming out in September called Telephantasm, which contains one new song called "Black Rain".

Following the band's split in 1997 Chris Cornell, Kim Thayil, Matt Cameron and Ben Shepherd have kept themselves busy with various projects.

Chris Cornell teamed up with members of Rage Against The Machine to front Audioslave and pursue a solo career that included some highs and lows (he did an album in French which was a shocker).

The band just played the massive Lollapalooza festival in Chicago on the weekend with Green Day and Lady Gaga.

http://www.triplem.com.au/sydney/music/news//blog/soundgarden-to-rock-oz-in-2011/20100810-9hld.html

They'll headline Soundwave with Maiden and Queens of the Stone Age for sure. Which will mean best festival ever more or less.

You lucky son of a bitch. I would've loved to have been there, they had a kick ass setlist and judging by the reviews and videos, the band killed. rock3

------------------

This is some great news, world tour comin' up. :D Hopefully we get a new album as well.

They might stick to short tours, surprise gigs and festivals, and see what happens. I think it's cool to see a band get back together because they miss playing together and want to see what happens, and not have it be about money. It's also about exposure to a new generation of fans while they're still capable enough to play the back catalog. I think they didn't want to wait too long before they were too old to be able to handle some of it, and last solo tour, Chris' voice sounded in fine form singing the different eras from his career.

That performance of Black Hole Sun sounds really off to me. Chris Cornell is kind of lazy on the vocals for that song.

Not lazy, he was clearly going for a slower, drearier version which sounded really cool, at least live. None of the songs were sung as "hits" if that makes sense., That wasn't the vibe at all...

Edited by Turn_It_Up

Soundgarden..................ahhhhhhh one of my all time favorite bands. I think it's great that they're back together. I think I would have been more excited about it a couple of years ago though, but still, very happy they are back.

I love the setlists they've been playing. They aren't afraid to go through the catalogue and get really diverse. I mean, they are playing so many of my favorite songs, which a lot of times, are the ones you wouldn't expect them to play.

Cornell's voice has really improved. I don't know what happened, but from 1999 until like 2001, his voice completely changed. On his Morning Euphoria tour dates, his voice sounded amazing. When he did Audioslave a couple years later, it was a completely different voice. And then, as each Audioslave tour and album came out, it got a little better. And then it kept on getting better. And then he was doing his solo shows, and once again, kept getting better and better.

I wish he would come forward and give his own story of his voice history and what happened.

Because his voice has been improving over the years, I see no reason why it won't continue to improve. I think as he gets used to singing these songs again, he is going to stretch his voice out, and condition it even more. He sounds like he's been sort of softening some of the rough parts of his voice, and finding ways to sort of work around them. His range has gotten much better. He is able to hit high notes with power, although it is inconsistent, and he still sounds like he has resistance in his throat, but it's diminishing. He developed this huskier, sort of textured sound that he was unable to control. Sounds kind of like nodules, but I don't think that's what the problem was. Still though, that husky texture has been smoothening out, which means, there are changes happening inside his throat.

In Audioslave, his voice changed. I think also due to the style of the music, it sort of reinforced these changes. He was working within this new Audioslave voice. He wasn't going very high into the range, and when he did, he screamed in this distorted way, that probably shredded his voice even more, and also changed his muscle memory and the physical characteristics of his throat. So whenever he wanted to go high, his voice just kind of defaulted into this scream. I guess he's been retraining his voice slowly over the years, and it's been creeping back into what it was.

He's still really far away from his old voice though, and he may never get it back to 100% of what it was, but judging on how he's been able to improve, we can't really discount that possibility, which is awesome.

The great thing about all of this, is that usually it works the opposite. Once someone's voice changes, or they lose their high range, it's gone forever. But, Cornell is doing the opposite.

Judging by the fact that he still has that beautiful falsetto, that he has complete control over, and can use it with ease, I would say there is a strong possibility, that with more training, he could link his regular voice with the falsetto just like he used to do back in the day.

That performance of Black Hole Sun sounds really off to me. Chris Cornell is kind of lazy on the vocals for that song.

Not lazy, he was clearly going for a slower, drearier version which sounded really cool, at least live. None of the songs were sung as "hits" if that makes sense., That wasn't the vibe at all...

Well if that is what they were trying to do, then I say they were successful in doing that. I still prefer the way they do it on the studio version though.

Edited by coolio GNR