Joe Perry slams Steven Tyler over American Idol Role

Use Your Delusion 1

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Len B'stard

Very few people outside the US know or care about 70s Aerosmith. To most of the world Aerosmith IS Cryin, Pink, Elevator, Jaded etc. Also, there are - shocking! :o - many people who know both periods very well, and prefer the second. Get over it <_<

Is everything alright dear? I mean...have you had some bad news or something? :lol:

Very few people outside the US know or care about 70s Aerosmith. To most of the world Aerosmith IS Cryin, Pink, Elevator, Jaded etc. Also, there are - shocking! :o - many people who know both periods very well, and prefer the second. Get over it <_<

Is everything alright dear? I mean...have you had some bad news or something? :lol:

Hey, gimme a break, I don't comment on much on this site, most of my post history is one word answers to Don't Damn Me threads or shit like that :lol: This here is one thing I have strong feelings about, might as well speak up, right? (type up?)

Steven Tyler has earned the right do whatever fuck he wants.

He doesn't have the right to fuck over the bandmates he's been working with for forty years. He can't run around doing whatever he wants without at least consulting them first, it just makes him a shitty friend and a shitty person.

Guest Len B'stard
Hey, gimme a break, I don't comment on much on this site, most of my post history is one word answers to Don't Damn Me threads or shit like that This here is one thing I have strong feelings about, might as well speak up, right? (type up?)

No, its cool, i really like your posts...you really make me stop and check myself sometimes, as you did earlier in this thread, i find the best posters are the ones who demand considered responses, i was just messing :):)

Steven Tyler has earned the right do whatever fuck he wants.

He doesn't have the right to fuck over the bandmates he's been working with for forty years. He can't run around doing whatever he wants without at least consulting them first, it just makes him a shitty friend and a shitty person.

Joe Perry had told Joey Kramer in the beginning the cold reality of a band when Hamilton said 'we are going to be great friends". Perry scoffed at him when he said that. Maybe they've become friends over time, maybe not. I think Tyler and Perry tolerate each other like brothers and feud like brothers. Are they friends? No. They're brothers in a corporation.

The threat to replace Tyler was prob. because he couldn't get a hold of him and went public.

Keep in mind, Perry had been ousted from Aerosmith in the early 80s, so it's not his decision. It would have had to have general band consent to make that happen. I highly doubt they would've gone along with such a plan. I think it was more of a threat to get Tyler to respond, and respond he did...at Joe's solo show. To the delight of fans.

They're in a working relationship and partnership, they make their peace and get along, even if they don't talk to each other... which was the case at the shows earlier this year.

Idol's only a few months and a couple of nights a week. Even if he was on the road with Aerosmith, they'd just black out 2 days for Tyler to play judge for an hour (with the exception of going to different cities) and prob. get a paid for Lear Jet to fly him back and forth to gigs. He doesn't even live in LA, so he's prob. getting a jet just to go back and forth. I'm sure TMZ will be stalking him all the same.

They actually start doing the auditions soon, but I think it's another couple of months before the actual judges do the auditions you see on TV.

Give me a break. The band has been fucking Tyler over for years, threatening to fire him and get a replacement singer if he doesn't tour. Last year, they were speculating through the media that he might be on drugs. How about when Joe Perry referred to Tyler as a mere "acquaintance" after their little reunion gig in New York City? Perry was all smiles on stage. He hugged Steven, and it seemed like a genuine reconciliation, until Perry started badmouthing him in Rolling Stone magazine a few hours after the show..

This all comes down to the band wanting to tour, and Steven wanting time off..

First, consider Aerosmith's touring history. They've been on the road non-stop since 1997, with (at most) three to four months off between each tour. If you know anything about touring, you know that most of your time is spent sitting in airports and waiting in hotels. This has been Aerosmith's reality for nearly three decades. On the recent Aerosmith/ZZ Top Tour, they were scheduled to play shows roughly every other day, averaging 4 gigs a week. The only real break Steven gets is when he succumbs to injury. Even then, he has to heal fast, because they're back on the road..

It's not 1975 anymore. If, at 62 years of age, Tyler needs a break, let him take a break. Let him do American Idol and collect a $20 million paycheck. We're not talking about an average band that is going to quickly fade away because they're not on tour. A year off isn't a big deal..

-Kickingthehabit

Edited by Kickingthehabit

Relaunched Boston giants Aerosmith could be on the verge of another civil war after guitarist Joe Perry erupted with rage over singer Steven Tyler's plans to become a presenter on US TV show American Idol.

Tyler says the deal has been done to replace Simon Cowell on the series, and he's also planning to do a solo album.

That's the kind of talk which led to the near-collapse of the band this time last year, following Tyler's drugs-influenced stage fall. The incident saw them cancelling a US tour with ZZ Top and eventually resulted in several big-name singers being invited to replace Tyler.

Issues were resolved in an eleventh-hour meeting in February and Aerosmith have been touring ever since, with talk returning to work on a new album.

Link to more Aerosmith madness: http://delcotimes.com/articles/2010/08/21/entertainment/doc4c6d6727536e0810983195.txt

Where does Perry "slam" Tyler?

sorry, that was in a different link, that broke, but if you just search aerosmith news on google then you'll find it among the piles of crap the Sun et al are producing

I had posted the partial tweet.. sounds like this could be the end of Aerosmith, because he prob. doesn't even know how this is going to play out. I think the J Geils/Aerosmith show is a sign that this might be coming to an end and Perry's having a hard time dealing with this. It sounds like he sees the writing on the wall as far as Aerosmith goes, but then he prob. sees the Stones and feels there's still gas in the tank, something new to do, and prob. wants to record that one great album and go out on a high note, instead of doing a nostalgia tour. Maybe Tyler doesn't have it in him to write new music with Perry, or even deal with outside songwriters.

People have wanted the"Toys in the Attic/Rocks" era sound brought into the 21st century and to come out with that back to the basics album.

This tour's been plagued with problems on a Spinal Tap level, and they were even sued by a Canadian company for having to cancel shows because of Tyler's fall.

"Bands playin great. Tom brad Joey playin better than ever. I always wished we could go right in the studio after tour. Ain't gonna happen. Seems like every show better than last. Sounds I still haven't made with my guitar......... 11 more shows... Then who knows ? Catch while You can!!!"

http://twitter.com/admiralperry

Guest Len B'stard

Everything. It's crossing the line in the sand, it's being a sell out, a turncoat, it's putting money before artistry

I'm pretty sure Aerosmith crossed that line after the 8th Greatest Hits album.

See this is where me, the supposed militant, the kid who needs to "get over it" all the time differs, i don't mind the plethora of Best Ofs, i don't mind the big balladering like Amazing and I Don't Wanna Miss A Thing, i actually dig that shit, they're good songs, they work, that's for the good of music...but American Idol? No...sorry.

Edited by sugaraylen

The whole ''artistic integrity'' thing is bullshit. Musicians, like every 'creator' in any industry--whether it be movies, literature, video games--Are also part of a business. It's all business at the end of the day and you'll find very few musicians who want to just make art without the money attached. It's all business.

Really, the whole world is business.

Give me a break. The band has been fucking Tyler over for years, threatening to fire him and get a replacement singer if he doesn't tour. Last year, they were speculating through the media that he might be on drugs. How about when Joe Perry referred to Tyler as a mere "acquaintance" after their little reunion gig in New York City? Perry was all smiles on stage. He hugged Steven, and it seemed like a genuine reconciliation, until Perry started badmouthing him in Rolling Stone magazine a few hours after the show..

This all comes down to the band wanting to tour, and Steven wanting time off..

First, consider Aerosmith's touring history. They've been on the road non-stop since 1997, with (at most) three to four months off between each tour. If you know anything about touring, you know that most of your time is spent sitting in airports and waiting in hotels. This has been Aerosmith's reality for nearly three decades. On the recent Aerosmith/ZZ Top Tour, they were scheduled to play shows roughly every other day, averaging 4 gigs a week. The only real break Steven gets is when he succumbs to injury. Even then, he has to heal fast, because they're back on the road..

It's not 1975 anymore. If, at 62 years of age, Tyler needs a break, let him take a break. Let him do American Idol and collect a $20 million paycheck. We're not talking about an average band that is going to quickly fade away because they're not on tour. A year off isn't a big deal..

-Kickingthehabit

I thought it was a little fucked that after pretty much getting kicked out of the band last year for doing the same kind of thing, he does the it again, but I can see your point about Tyler needing a break and them kicking him out of the band before. It seems like Aerosmith in general needs to learn how to communicate, that or just break up once and for all.

Guest Len B'stard
The whole ''artistic integrity'' thing is bullshit. Musicians, like every 'creator' in any industry--whether it be movies, literature, video games--Are also part of a business. It's all business at the end of the day and you'll find very few musicians who want to just make art without the money attached. It's all business.

Really, the whole world is business.

Music has been a business for a relatively short space of time and an art form since it began and thats the difference. Of course it's business but to call artistic integrity bullshit?!?! And to further claim that it's a business as a counterpoint to that, it can be both. I'm not against the idea of artists being compensated for their art and compensated well, not in the least but at the same time, the art has to come first.

And this idea that the money aspect is ahead of the art is bullshit, you don't get novice singers or band members getting into the shit expressly for the money aspect, i don't buy that at all because there ain't no guarantee you're gonna make it and it is hard fuckin work getting there, SERIOUSLY hard work...if they just cared about the money they'd be better off getting a decent education and making it that way, at least there the chances are you might actually fulfill the dream.

Perhaps i'm an idealistic idiot (or you're a cynical one) but i think, primarily, the people you see playing the guitar and drums and fuckin...y'know, all that shit, they didn't get into it because yeah, i could make some money, i could get laid and do lots of coke i think they heard Hendrix or they heard Keith Moon or they heard...y'know, whoever and though, shit, i wanna be THAT, i do that, i wanna really fuckin wail.

Or perhaps both types exist. Yeah, maybe that it's it but y'know what? If that is it then i think you can tell the difference too and without pictures.

^ I don't know what it's like, because I've never been a world famous musician, but this is kinda what I imagine it's like: You start that way, when you're young. You are successful (if you're not, there's no discussion here; you can't sell out if no one's buying you), make a lot of money, settle into a certain sort of lifestyle. Then, as you get older, you get less relevant (who the hell kept themselves successful and at the forefront of the trends after growing older??), plus you got other responsibilities, family, kids, etc, you sign big contracts. You have to stay successful somehow. It won't be the youthful entuziasm and innovation that'll keep you there, cuz that's way gone. You have no choice but to turn to the business part of music: more comercially appealing songs, publicity, evening talk shows, compilations by the dozen, Wal-Mart/Best Buy, reality shows if you're desperate etc. I could be wrong though...

Guest Len B'stard
(who the hell kept themselves successful and at the forefront of the trends after growing older??)

I think you stay culturally relevant to a point and then after a while you just compete against yourself if that makes sense? Try and do a litle better or a little different that the last piece of work.

I think you're right to an extent but i also think there are those who set the trends and those who never followed any in the first place or those who just kinda exist in their own world and as previously mentioned, use only their own work as a compass of where to go/start from next.

Everything. It's crossing the line in the sand, it's being a sell out, a turncoat, it's putting money before artistry, it's being a whore. Your major label rock stars are whores anyway (and to some extent indies too i guess) but i'll buy that utlising a necessary evil with a view of getting your art out there but this is just lightweight money spinning bullshit. Cheap. Tacky. Vaccuous. Embarassing. It's embracing an industry that is designed to sucking the life out of something that Mr Tyler was a part of and not after the fact either. It's sickening.

I'm surprised Slash wasn't begging for the role...

The key to his mindset is the fact that he's planning a solo album -- what better way to pander to the Wal-Mart soccer moms than to become a judge on American Idol and expose people to his image who might not otherwise be well aware of who he is. It's really no different than Bret Michaels' popularity being boosted by The Apprentice -- he totally cashed in on that success with a solo record and, no coincidence, it was his highest-peaking album in its first week in almost two decades.

That said, Tyler is past his prime and has been for a while, so I don't really care. Another Aerosmith album would be nice but who really expects anything great?

No reason to overthink this. There's a whole slew of high profile artists who haven't liked IDOL who were gunning for this job because of the MASSIVE $$'s Simon was making the last few years. Hell, if you could sit there and judge these kids for a season for $20 million or more, you wouldn't do it? Yeah, right. :rolleyes:

As KTH said, he's in his 60's, has been trying to pull his life back together after more substance abuse issues and probably doesn't need a lot more touring at this time. This might be the out he's looking for to get the other guys off his back for awhile. Why not suck the huge money from IDOL for a season or 2 before it goes under? Tyler seems like the type of guy who will have fun with it and even more fun with the pile of cash to be routed to his direct deposit.

Can't think of anyone who's been more active than Tyler over the last 40 years. Dude's so earned the right to do what he wants and not have his cred questioned.

This is just a very well paid vacation from what is clearly a fucked up Aerosmith situation and all the more power to him if he wants to do this and make all that money for 1 or 2 seasons. Lucky bastard...

Edited by Turn_It_Up

Don't see them splitting over this. ;)

Look on the bright side. American Idol will probably be cancelled in the next few years. rock3

Haha. :lol:

Seemed unthinkable a few years ago, but IDOL really could be gone in another season or 2(probably a couple more). Tyler's always been a crazy "you only live once type a guy" so at his age to have fun trying TV and making this much cash is hardly shocking. Didn't watch it at all last season, but will be back this season just to seer Tyler in action.. :D .

Edited by Turn_It_Up