Official Reading thread

GNR 1991

I've uploaded some small videos that I made last night. The quality's not the greatest as I wasn't that close to the stage and cos I was actually trying to enjoy the show.

Welcome to the jungle:

Mr Brownstone:

Sweet Child O Mine:

YouCould Be Mine:

November Rain:

Thank's !!!

• Replies 781
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've uploaded some small videos that I made last night. The quality's not the greatest as I wasn't that close to the stage and cos I was actually trying to enjoy the show.

Welcome to the jungle:

Mr Brownstone:

Sweet Child O Mine:

YouCould Be Mine:

November Rain:

Thanks for the vids!

In spite of the strict curfew at the end of the show, it seems it was a great show rock4

Right guys, just got back home from Reading. What a weird night! Haven't read the whole thread but here's what I saw front and centre:

Guns were due on at 9:30 but the stage wasn't ready at 9:30 so there was no way that was going to happen. Stage seemed to be ready at about 9:50 although there was still technicians running across stage every now and then until 10:15. Guns went on around 10:30. The crowd were getting anxious and there was some booing and anti Axl chanting, but they all went nuts when Chinese Democracy started.

The whole band was off to a blistering start, non stop 4 or 5 songs, crowd won over and singing every word, although the mix was a little out at the start losing the lead guitar(s).

Gotta say the crowd surprised me - I didn't see anything thrown at the stage and they seemed to show decent appreciation for the new material and solos. There was the odd Slash chant thrown in, but that lead to my favourite moment of the night: DJ launched into his This I Love solo and I heard people saying "He's not Slash, but he's fucking good!" and actually the crowd really appreciated the solo.

Rest of the show: Whole band were tight, Axl was spot on, and they were having a great time, even making a jokey extended end to November rain (when it also decided to start raining) where Axl kept messing around on the piano and prolonging it. Another highlight was the whole crowd singing Another Brick In the Wall with Axl. Axl was in a great mood and actually was very professional taking the problem with the main screen and technicians having to come out and work around him to fix the stage all in his stride.

End: As nightrain came towards the end: Axl must have been told that they wanted them off because he said something like "Why do we even bother coming?" before throwing his mic in the air and leaving the stage. The band finished the song without him and there was all kinds of commotion going on in the wings as Fernando and others tried to get him back (maybe they thought they would still be allowed to finish? I don't know).

So Axl goes back out and tries to talk to the crowd and starts singing better, but his mic was off and so was the rest of the equipment so we couldn't hear anything. Amazingly he was still in a good mood and had a grin on him as he tried to get the crowd going and encourage the promoter to let them finish. At this point the crowd were 100% behind Guns. Frank, DJ, Ron, everyone was on stage refusing to leave, clapping along with the crowd as they chanted "fuck you reading", "let them play", "one more song", and "we shall not be moved".

It was actually quite funny: The crowd tried to sing Paradise City which was awesome, then the guys decided to stage some sort of sit in, and (what would have been brilliant, and a legendary moment if it worked) Ron tried to play an acoustic through a loudspeaker. Ha! I got slightly worried when Ron seemed to start motioning for people to come over the barrier! Then when they realised it was all over, the guys thanked the crowd, and all came down to the front to meet the crowd, and of course Axl told us via the loudspeaker that they had had problems with this promoter before and wouldn't be at Leeds.

My opinion of the whole thing was that:

a). the band were late on but I don't know who's to blame - The stage wasn't ready on time anyway, the band were there 4 hours early, so I don't know what happened.

b. Guns started at 10:30 - that's not late to me, and it did give them time for a 1.5 hour set. But I can understand why people didn't like waiting. Bear in mind this though: I waited the best part of an hour for Rage Against the Machine to get on stage at Download so there's nothing unusual about the wait.

c). The guys wanted to play 1 or 2 more songs. They probably would have been finished 15 minutes after curfew, the crowd wanted it, so why couldn't the promoter connect with the spirit of the festival and rock n' roll and let them finish?

d). I could understand if it was impossible, but it wasn't. What pissed me off the most is that as Axl and the guys sat on stage you could hear music from other tents booming across the arena - why weren't they cut off? If there's any proof that the promoters put their own agenda ahead of the enjoyment and the safety of the fans - this is it.

Sorry for the long post, but I know I'd want to hear the full details if I wasn't there. The whole band did nothing put put on a good spirited, fun show, even smiling as thye had to leave. There was nothing but respect for the fans. It was the promoter who lost sight of the paying customers and music fans being the most important thing here.

Cheers guys,

@#$%Funker

Edited by mutherfunker

No problem guys.

Like I said - this was from where I was standing right at the front. If there was booing during the set / or poor reaction it was further back so I wouldn't know. People definitely left before they came on because of the wait - but come on? 10:30, at a festival?!! I suppose everyone has different expectations.....

:-)

No problem guys.

Like I said - this was from where I was standing right at the front. If there was booing during the set / or poor reaction it was further back so I wouldn't know. People definitely left before they came on because of the wait - but come on? 10:30, at a festival?!! I suppose everyone has different expectations.....

:-)

I was pretty near the front and I could hear some booing during the wait but once they started everyone was into it, there may have been one or two people saying shit but that was it and everybody was getting annoyed with those people and not joining in.

At the end of the day I think people just thought Axl was up to his usual tricks and didn't even think that there could be a problem with the equipment or anything.

All in all I'd say it was a triumph whatever the press said. If they were earlier the press could have been more positive but hey screw the press. When literally EVERYBODY was singing Paradise City it was awsome.

Edited by LesPaul_Player_91

Welcome to the jungle:

Mr Brownstone:

Sweet Child O Mine:

YouCould Be Mine:

November Rain:

Thanks for the vids!

In spite of the strict curfew at the end of the show, it seems it was a great show rock4

It was an excellent show, by far the best of the whole day.

The annoying thing was that there was still loud music being played after Guns' set finished. It should be one rule for all. The crowd around where I was standing were lifeless, they only seemed to respond to the very big hits like Jungle and Sweet Child O Mine, and then you had dickheads shouting out 'you're not Slash' to Ashba.

The performances were all brilliant but I think Guns should modify their show for festivals. At festivals most of the crowd are not hardcore fans like they are in the arena concerts therefore they won't appreciate the finer things. I think they should drop the lengthy guitar solos and piano solos and just stick to the songs. I really liked Ashba's solo and Fink's James Bond theme but it killed the continuity just when the crowd were getting into it. Also Axl should talk more to the crowd even if it is one of his rants.

Right guys, just got back home from Reading. What a weird night! Haven't read the whole thread but here's what I saw front and centre:

Guns were due on at 9:30 but the stage wasn't ready at 9:30 so there was no way that was going to happen. Stage seemed to be ready at about 9:50 although there was still technicians running across stage every now and then until 10:15. Guns went on around 10:30. The crowd were getting anxious and there was some booing and anti Axl chanting, but they all went nuts when Chinese Democracy started.

The whole band was off to a blistering start, non stop 4 or 5 songs, crowd won over and singing every word, although the mix was a little out at the start losing the lead guitar(s).

Gotta say the crowd surprised me - I didn't see anything thrown at the stage and they seemed to show decent appreciation for the new material and solos. There was the odd Slash chant thrown in, but that lead to my favourite moment of the night: DJ launched into his This I Love solo and I heard people saying "He's not Slash, but he's fucking good!" and actually the crowd really appreciated the solo.

Rest of the show: Whole band were tight, Axl was spot on, and they were having a great time, even making a jokey extended end to November rain (when it also decided to start raining) where Axl kept messing around on the piano and prolonging it. Another highlight was the whole crowd singing Another Brick In the Wall with Axl. Axl was in a great mood and actually was very professional taking the problem with the main screen and technicians having to come out and work around him to fix the stage all in his stride.

End: As nightrain came towards the end: Axl must have been told that they wanted them off because he said something like "Why do we even bother coming?" before throwing his mic in the air and leaving the stage. The band finished the song without him and there was all kinds of commotion going on in the wings as Fernando and others tried to get him back (maybe they thought they would still be allowed to finish? I don't know).

So Axl goes back out and tries to talk to the crowd and starts singing better, but his mic was off and so was the rest of the equipment so we couldn't hear anything. Amazingly he was still in a good mood and had a grin on him as he tried to get the crowd going and encourage the promoter to let them finish. At this point the crowd were 100% behind Guns. Frank, DJ, Ron, everyone was on stage refusing to leave, clapping along with the crowd as they chanted "fuck you reading", "let them play", "one more song", and "we shall not be moved".

It was actually quite funny: The crowd tried to sing Paradise City which was awesome, then the guys decided to stage some sort of sit in, and (what would have been brilliant, and a legendary moment if it worked) Ron tried to play an acoustic through a loudspeaker. Ha! I got slightly worried when Ron seemed to start motioning for people to come over the barrier! Then when they realised it was all over, the guys thanked the crowd, and all came down to the front to meet the crowd, and of course Axl told us via the loudspeaker that they had had problems with this promoter before and wouldn't be at Leeds.

My opinion of the whole thing was that:

a). the band were late on but I don't know who's to blame - The stage wasn't ready on time anyway, the band were there 4 hours early, so I don't know what happened.

b. Guns started at 10:30 - that's not late to me, and it did give them time for a 1.5 hour set. But I can understand why people didn't like waiting. Bear in mind this though: I waited the best part of an hour for Rage Against the Machine to get on stage at Download so there's nothing unusual about the wait.

c). The guys wanted to play 1 or 2 more songs. They probably would have been finished 15 minutes after curfew, the crowd wanted it, so why couldn't the promoter connect with the spirit of the festival and rock n' roll and let them finish?

d). I could understand if it was impossible, but it wasn't. What pissed me off the most is that as Axl and the guys sat on stage you could hear music from other tents booming across the arena - why weren't they cut off? If there's any proof that the promoters put their own agenda ahead of the enjoyment and the safety of the fans - this is it.

Sorry for the long post, but I know I'd want to hear the full details if I wasn't there. The whole band did nothing put put on a good spirited, fun show, even smiling as thye had to leave. There was nothing but respect for the fans. It was the promoter who lost sight of the paying customers and music fans being the most important thing here.

Cheers guys,

@#$%Funker

+1

What to say, so much good could have come from this, but seeing the video of them trying to do paradise city is embarassing. I feel sorry for all the band members, its one thing turning up late for your own crowd,but to a festival is just idiotic, when you think of the effort and hard work gone into making this band what it is right now, its clear its not been easy, hence how long its taken, Then you get dj saying how exited he is about reading, and bumble doing his meet and greets here and there, this is just a big kick to them and the fans, again. Who knows what happened or why they were late, but for all the toubles over the past 25yrs there is one common denominator.

Dont be embarresed Be Proud they did what they came to do and that was give the fans a full show sound or no sound.

I get so sick and tired of everyone saying this is "epic" or whatever.

It was a STUPID move by Axl and the band if they where involved them being late. They knew the curfew and showed up late and ran over. It's GNR's fault plain and simple they where the unprofessional ones not the promoter for pull the plug they told them up front.

Now what would have been EPIC is to show up on time play a monster set that would run over and then done the set in thing. Now that would have been a statement!!! And let BBC show it live. Now imagine what the response would be if they showing up on time then playing a kickass set list that lasted past the curfew on purpose! That would be rock and roll and show respect for the fans!!!!!.

But hey Axl doesn't want to do it the easy way he always seems to fuck things up.

You think your opinion changes everything you are the same as us in your special way you want axl to be a tool for the promoter and bbc so you can benefit from it with watching a live stream of GNR Well let me burst your bubble it aint going to happen Buy a TICKET!!

To be perfectly honest I had NO plans to watch the show live! I have a life and things to do with my kids this afternoon so that is a mute point. And I know what your come back will be to that, "you could watch it later". I could give one rats ass about seeing it, if it happens fine if not then thats fine too. That is how I take GNR now a days if they come anywhere close to me I will go if not that fine too and the same goes for them releaseing a new album, if it happens I buy it, if not what have I missed nothing. I just come to the board from time to time to see what is going on.

It would be impossible for me to buy a ticket because I live in the US so that is a mute point also.

No I don't think Axl should be a "tool" for promoters or BBC all I was saying is the way it went down is not 'epic" or "rock n roll" to me it was stupid on guns part. Like I said if they wanted to make a statement then why not go on stage on time blow everyone away with a 3-4 hour set that makes them pull the plug. That would also make Axls point and be a positive thing for the band in media and fan base. Who wouldn't rather see it go down this way???????

I would have just like for this to be done in a way that would have cast a positive light on GNR which is so sorely needed right now.

I know this is my opinion but like everyone says "opinion are like assholes everyone has one" and I am intitled to mine just as much as you are intitled to yours.

If you been a GNR Fan for a good while you of all people should know that wasnt going to happen. And you should look at it from a different angle what if it wasnt their fault and it was the stage crew that took From what i've read and heard 30 mins to have the stage ready to go.

What pissed me off the most is that as Axl and the guys sat on stage you could hear music from other tents booming across the arena - why weren't they cut off? If there's any proof that the promoters put their own agenda ahead of the enjoyment and the safety of the fans - this is it.

Nah, other bands go on playing but GNR had to leave the stage? The rule was just for GNR, unbelievable! <_<

yeah but in the festivals defence, the noise obviously isn't going to be as loud from the other tents as the main stage. I know as i went last year

Rules are rules. There is no in their defense. There was a curfew, and if they pulled the plug on GNR, every other band should have the plug pulled as well. The guy stated earlier in the week he would do this, trying to come off like some big shot.. You can just tell he's been waiting to do this to the band.

THIS I LOVE last night -

LIVE N LET DIE -

so the performance was how? Great! that's like!

PS. sorry for the wrong first post in another post - in the twitter one! :rolleyes:

Axl and the band sound great in these clips, as well as the other clips so far. The crowd was into it too. Makes you wonder what these couple of reviewers problems were. I'm going to go with personal vendetta.