Official Reading thread

GNR 1991

• Replies 781
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The question is does their leader?

DJ answered that for us.

Absolutely not. He basically admitted that Axl knew about getting the plug pulled ahead of time, and went on late (even knowing the fans would get a short show) because he didn't like the way the guy made a public issue of it and backed Axl into a corner with the start time thing.

Caring about the fans would be sucking it up and getting on stage on time if you cared about giving them a full show.

He was more worried about trying to stick it to a promoter than he was about making sure his fans got a full show.

That should tell you about all you need to know about what Axl's priorities are.

So I understand the promoter dude is out to get them but... if they would just show up on time at Leeds, or a little after the time, then there would be no issue.

So... seems to me that if this was about the fans and the music, they would plat at Leeds regardless of their beef with that dude?

Hell even if they were real late again at least the fans would get part of a show.

Not going entirely because of some beef with the promoter is pretty messed up, in my opinion.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rLRQUxDpy8w :thumbsup:

people enjoying it! IT"S SO EASY, EASY...

to be honest the press comment about the crowd leaving in droves is totally untrue, yes some people left, only to return again especially during Sweet Child O' Mine . And much of the crowd loved it (the show), as seen here.

Don't kid yourself that people weren't leaving because they were. Sure, the rain contributed to people leaving but the predominant reaction of people around me was ambivalence at best, and at worst, hostility. You can come on an hour late to your own fans who are sympathetic to such habits, but people were getting pissed off waiting, which started the booing and Axl name calling. From where I was stood, close to the big bar on the right, the silence that greeted the end of each song was deafening... What a shame that was as the performance was very tight; Tommy played a blinder, and DJ Ashba clearly helps fill a Slash sized space. Sorry - a track I always felt so so about - sounded really good on stage.

No one should be surprised about the organisers pulling the plug either; the threat was well documented. Roll on the O2...

People move at festivals all the time, Did I walk out of the Kieser Chiefs a couple of years back 'cos they were crap? No, they don't float my boat and wanted to see the Stranglers instead. This means nothing, its news when people walk out in droves at a GnfR show, except they don't.... :sleeper:

Next time you should see the "Kaiser Chiefs" rather than the "Kieser Chiefs" - they may have been more enjoyable.

When people leave at festivals, they tend to go on their way rather than boo and call the singer a cunt. Just face facts. I've seen every tour to the UK since '91 and been been to loads of festivals, and I've never seen a band treated like Guns were last night (sadly).

I've uploaded some small videos that I made last night. The quality's not the greatest as I wasn't that close to the stage and cos I was actually trying to enjoy the show.

Welcome to the jungle:

Mr Brownstone:

Sweet Child O Mine:

YouCould Be Mine:

November Rain:

Great show last night! Shame it has to be overshadowed by admittedly self inflicted press and BS!

Bearing in mind the festival crowd was very sceptical from the outset due to the inevitable ill informed word of mouth (i.e. its just Axl and session players, they always come on really late etc etc) guns actually won the majority of the crowd over very quickly. Where I was standing there were a group of youngish people who certainly weren’t guns fans, but who were looking forward to seeing someone who is clearly regarded as a legend, either for the right or wrong reasons.

As 9:30 approached the scepticism grew around me, however the general booing was totally tongue in cheek as it was only prompted each time someone came on stage that wasn’t a band member, so when the crew members strolled on the stage to adjust something then the sarcastic boos would ring. Although they were hardly meant in a hostile way it’s all too easy for the press to put their own spin on it.

There were chants of ‘we want Slash’ too, but again more tongue in cheek than hostile.

Once Guns came on stage the crowd went wild as they launched in to CD, which got a surprisingly good reception where I was, bearing in mind most of the people directly around me didn’t even know the song. Once WTTJ started up that was it, everyone was loving it and that’s pretty much how the whole set continued, every little thing that happened on stage was applauded by the non believers around me, including Dizzy’s piano solo which could have been considered a little over indulgent to people not familiar with the band.

The most notable thing for me though was how the people who had be shouting that its only Axl and his ‘session players’ shut up as soon as Richard did his Bond solo. From that point on it was clear (and accepted) that its not just Axl who takes centre stage, and the 3 guitarists, especially DJ were adored by the end of the night.

When the 'plug pulling' fiasco happened at the end, the crowd was shouting ‘we want more, we want more’ and generally abusing Reading organizers when it became clear that Axl was trying to continue. It’s a real shame, as rather than the show ending on a high it was ended with a rather bizarre flatness as people (and the band) accepted the show was over and headed off for the night. The band should have just left after Night Train and everyone would have walked of wanting more and saying how good it was, rather than discussing the bizarre ending which was embarrassing for both Reading and Guns.

So, a great show but a wasted opportunity as the band had arrived in the UK on the back of some positive press, only to throw it all away by coming on late and not being able to finish their own set. Had they come on at 9:30, or even 10pm they would have conquered a notoriously difficult crowd, and more importantly NOT given the press so much ammunition to slate them - but then that’s not the GnR way is it.

Edited by omg1999

On Saturday 28th August 2010, @DJASHBA said:

READING FESTIVAL - Apparently the promoter has had a personal grudge with GN'R stemming from 8 years ago, if this was the case why book the band? He knows our show. Let me guess... To take our fans money and then not allow us to give them a show that they payed for. This was clearly not a curfew thing because after cutting our power like a selfish money grubbing prick, he allowed music blasting through out the venue till the early morning. For us this was all about the fans, the show and the music. For the promoter it was all about the money and not about the fans or the music. The promoter was already being a cocky f$#k in the press before we arrived, so yes we went on a little late, and for this we apologies. However, our fans payed to see a show, and that's why we showed up, too give them just that. Sad that this promoter's music festival has little too do with the fans or the love for music. Last night was insane! They pulled the power, but failed to kill the connection as 90,000 people sang Paradise City. Much love to you all!!!

Ashba implies they went on late on purpose to get back at the promoter

What a loud of crap.

Over the last 15 y ears or so, when has this band ever gave a fuck about the fans.

Some of the bandmembers do care.

The question is does their leader?

Not always, but yesterday he seemed to, otherwise I doubt Bumble and DJ would be so supportive of him right now and yesterday.

This.

Not always, but yesterday he seemed to, otherwise I doubt Bumble and DJ would be so supportive of him right now and yesterday.

How can anyone think he cared about the fans when DJ admitted that Axl knew the plug would be pulled and the fans would get a short show, but knowingly went on late anyway because of his personal issues with the promoter.

Settling an imaginary score with a promoter was more important to Axl than giving his fans (who he supposedly cares about) a full show that they were expecting to see.

Great show last night! Shame it has to be overshadowed by admittedly self inflicted press and BS!

Baring in mind the festival crowd was very skeptical from the outset due to the inevitable ill informed word of mouth (i.e. its just Axl and session players, they always come on really late etc etc) guns actually won the majority of the crowd over very quickly. Where I was standing there were a group of youngish people who certainly weren’t guns fans, but who were looking forward to seeing someone who is clearly regarded as a legend, either for the right or wrong reasons.

As 9:30 approached the scepticism grew around me, however the general booing was totally tongue in cheek as it was only prompted each time someone came on stage that wasn’t a band member, so when the crew members strolled on the stage to adjust something then the sarcastic boos would ring. Although they were hardly meant in a hostile way it’s all too easy for the press to put their own spin on it.

There were chants of ‘we want Slash’ too, but again more tongue in cheek than hostile.

Once Guns came on stage the crowd went wild as they launched in to CD, which got a surprisingly good reception where I was, baring in mind most of the people directly around me didn’t even know the song. Once WTTJ started up that was it, everyone was loving it and that’s pretty much how the whole set continued, every little thing that happed on stage was applauded by the non believers around me, including Dizzy’s piano solo which could have been considered a little over indulgent to people not familiar with the band.

The most notable thing for me though was how the people who had be shouting that its only Axl and his ‘session players’ shut up as soon as Richard did his Bond solo. From that point on it was clear that its not just Axl who takes centre stage, and 3 guitarist, especially DJ were adored by the end of the night.

When the plug pulling fiasco happened at the end, the crowd was shouting ‘we want more’ and generally abusing Reading organizers when it became clear that Axl was trying to continue. It’s a real shame, as rather than the show ending on a high it was ended with a rather bizarre flatness as people (and the band) accepted the show was over and headed off for the night. The band should have just left after Night Train and everyone would have walked of wanting more and saying how good it was, rather than discussing the bizarre ending which was embarrassing for both Reading and Guns.

So, a great show but a wasted opportunity as the band had arrived in the UK on the back of some positive press, only to throw it all away by coming on late and not being able to finish there own set. Had they come on at 9:30, or even 10pm they would have conquered a notoriously difficult crowd, and more importantly NOT given the press so much ammunition to slate them - but then that’s not the GnR way is it.

+1

Glad somebody else enjoyed it as much as I did. Whatever the press says I'd say 90% of people were loving it.

How can anyone think he cared about the fans when DJ admitted that Axl knew the plug would be pulled and the fans would get a short show, but knowingly went on late anyway because of his personal issues with the promoter.

Settling an imaginary score with a promoter was more important to Axl than giving his fans (who he supposedly cares about) a full show that they were expecting to see.

Hey, the fans in the front row go to touch Axl's hand, so in the end it all worked out.

That is just fucking retarded. Way to fuck the fans over because of your own ego.

Are you done?

@djashba:

Seems some of you took my post out of context. I in NO way meant that we went on late because the promoter was being a cocky prick. I simply stated that, then I went on to apologies to the fans for us going on a little late. Peace out.

That is just fucking retarded. Way to fuck the fans over because of your own ego.

Are you done?

@djashba:

Seems some of you took my post out of context. I in NO way meant that we went on late because the promoter was being a cocky prick. I simply stated that, then I went on to apologies to the fans for us going on a little late. Peace out.

The promoter was already being a cocky f$#k in the press before we arrived, so yes we went on a little late

Yeah that makes it seem like they did it out of spite to me, if they didn't then why did the band go on an hour late given the situation?

Edited by eggers