Official Reading thread

GNR 1991

Looks like Axl's the fall guy, once again.

Story of his life

Even if there is a slight chance tonights events were out of his control ( I doubt it) that statement is hilarious. Dude creates his own problems just like everyone else.

This is a Live Nation event...wonder if they know they are going to have to settle out of court and not get the 3 or 4 million they are suing Axl for, so they set them up for breach of contract, so they don't have to pay them the $2 million they owe GNR for these gigs. Now, I admit this is pure speculation, but just think about who is running these corporate events--Live Nation. Also, its not normal to make such a big fuss about start times prior to a festival (I've been to about ten festivals--huge--and never seen issues with bands playing until 3 in the fucking morning...lame)? So Axl and band are backstage four hours before their scheduled start time...why would they delay the start if they were there ready to go. I think the promoters delayed the start, or fucked something up, and then pulled the plug on GNR, royally pissing the band off, because they knew it wasn't their fault for the late start. Wankers...when gigwise is doing reporting minutes prior to the show ending, it starts looking like something goofy was going on.

You hit the nail on the head not once, but twice with your post's. It does seem weird that, with Axl tweeting he's backstage 4 hours before it starts. Seems like something might've been going on with maybe the audio, or technical problem. Or maybe Azoff was just dicking around with Axl and made Axl look like a fool. It just seems weird how the council and the promotors said they would pull the plug on thier show, where as Axl is notorious for being late, it seems like your right, there might be something going on here.

Of course everybody blames Axl, beucase it's easy to blame Axl. But it seemed like he tried to continue the show and was forced to talk into a fuckin megaphone to say anything beucase they completely cut their audio. And the sit down strike afterward was like "what the fuck?"

I just wanna here something from the GN'R camp about tonight. Weird we haven't so far. Even Axl tweets for the first time in forever and yet has no said one word on what happened tonight.

When I read that Del was filming Axl and companies attempts to continue, it struck me as odd. I think they were documenting the fact that they were trying to continue. GNR should rent a farm, and play a free show for the fans tomorrow night or Sunday, and fuck-off these Live Nation pricks.

• Replies 781
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What have you "brought to the table"?

I'm a guy trying to have a simple conversation. You're the one running from it.

It's highly amusing reading through your posts, and watching your online confidence, and pompous self righteousness gain steam by the minute. Hilarious shit. Glad you are getting your Ya Ya's off. You have no fucking clue what can go wrong at a show like this. If GN'R's power was pulled just short of midnight, judging by the set-list, they didn't take the stage too late for a festival (10:15 or so??). Reading must be one of the lamest festivals on the planet if the bands can't play past 11:30, and you my friend, are past your regularly scheduled bed time.

"Reading must be one of the lamest festivals on the planet" - You got that right mate.

My God Reading is lame--GNR start at 10:30 and that is too late? Most festivals have time issues, as early bands go past there time allotment (if they are in the groove, let them play...music isn't about schedules, and time slots, it's about feeling and being)...so going on at 10:30 and playing until a bit after midnight should not be a big issue at all. How totally fucking lame! Reading is a complete corporate Live Nation gig, and it represents everything that is wrong with the music industry! Uzi fucking Suicide!

Interesting night.

I'm one of the people that think you should know what to expect when goin' to a GN'R show. If you gotta problem with how Axl and co. do things, and have always done things, don't go or stfu. By now you should know what you are gettin' into when purchasing a ticket.

I do agree that festivals are a different story though as many are just there to hear some music and not just there for GN'R. Pretty cool finish though, made the best of it I guess.

Whatever, first US East Coast date announced (fingers crossed), I'm buyin' 20 tickets.

Interesting night.

I'm one of the people that think you should know what to expect when goin' to a GN'R show. If you gotta problem with how Axl and co. do things, and have always done things, don't go or stfu. By now you should know what you are gettin' into when purchasing a ticket.

I do agree that festivals are a different story though as many are just there to hear some music and not just there for GN'R. Pretty cool finish though, made the best of it I guess.

Whatever, first US East Coast date announced (fingers crossed), I'm buyin' 20 tickets.

Hell yeah! :thumbsup:

Guns N’ Roses were jeered by the crowd as they

headlined the opening day of this year’s Reading festival

tonight (August 27).

The band, fronted by Axl Rose, arrived on stage 60 minutes

late, prompting several audience members to leave before

their set started.

And the crowd continued to disperse during the band’s

performance, which fused songs from recent album ‘Chinese

Democracy’ with their classic hits.

But organisers eventually cut sound to the main stage when

the band's set over-ran.

Gigwise review.

Sounds like the audience wasn't too interested in the lastest GN'R line up.

tonight (August 27).

their set started.

the band's set over-ran.

Gigwise review.

They calmed down around half way through the set and were singing along with PC and chanting "fuck you Reading" when Axl announced the cancellation of the next show.

They liked it.

COOL SERVERS BRO

Server really does need some work.

I know turning off avatars and sigs and such really make boards run smoother. Would suck to eliminate them, but that would be a lot better then not being able to discuss significant GN'R news when it happens.

tonight (August 27).

their set started.

the band's set over-ran.

Gigwise review.

They calmed down around half way through the set and were singing along with PC and chanting "fuck you Reading" when Axl announced the cancellation of the next show.

They liked it.

Hell just watch the Jungle vid from a few pages back, they are jeering and boooing during the intro, but once they get going the crowd is singing along! Bunch of hypocrites

Interesting night.

Whats this about an up coming US date???

tonight (August 27).

their set started.

the band's set over-ran.

Gigwise review.

They liked it.

Hell just watch the Jungle vid from a few pages back, they are jeering and boooing during the intro, but once they get going the crowd is singing along! Bunch of hypocrites

i think it took them a few songs to win the crowd over, middle of the set it seemed like it changed.

thats usually how it goes anyways, people start out ready to hate on the new band ,tis not slash, axl is late, ect. then 1/2 way through they realize 1.they put on a really good show, hired hands or not 2.the songs are still great 3.slash isn't necessary.

by the end of the show people were chanting let them play, quite a change of heart. ashba is just too beautiful, he cant be denied.

tonight (August 27).

their set started.

the band's set over-ran.

Gigwise review.

This is utter rubbish--the pictures show a jammed packed crowd, and the crowd is chanting "Fuck U Reading" at the end. They certainly weren't booing the band. Also, at every festival, during every bands set, people are coming and going--getting drinks, going to the bathroom, going to score, etc. Also, their use of "arrived" is incorrect, as the band was backstage, along with Axl, hours before their performance. In addition, many fans are reporting seeing Axl and co. standing next to the stage ready to go for quite some time before they started, which leads me to believe there was some hold up outside of their control.

As always. Axl just can't catch a break.

Nice sarcasm...in reality, 50 minutes in between bands at festival, with stage set-up like GNR is not that uncommon or big of a deal. If it wasn't for a ridiculous curfew (move the festival if you can't play past 11:30) we would be reading about how GNR won over the crowd and are getting ready to rock Leeds. Certainly, there are numerous incidents and times where GNR were ridiculously late, but this is not one of them.

Guest Apollo

Weird how nothing ever goes smooth in Axl's world. And it's always somebody else's fault.

And I'm amazed at the members on this forum who are hailing Axl as a hero for what happened.

Go on stage on time.....and none of this happens. Pretty simple.

Not letting the show be broadcast - that's Axl screwing us fans. Starting late, knowing that the show will be stopped early - that's Axl screwing the fans. But you praise him for sitting down in protest, and using a megaphone?

We all know that going on late is something Axl does. But things like the Hetfield-burning incidence, and what happened tonight? That's as far from being "rock n roll" or "worlds most dangerous band" as you can be. Guns should have let their performance on the stage do their talking for them - not sitting down in a failed protest.

Weird how nothing ever goes smooth in Axl's world. And it's always somebody else's fault.

And I'm amazed at the members on this forum who are hailing Axl as a hero for what happened.

Go on stage on time.....and none of this happens. Pretty simple.

Not letting the show be broadcast - that's Axl screwing us fans. Starting late, knowing that the show will be stopped early - that's Axl screwing the fans. But you praise him for sitting down in protest, and using a megaphone?

We all know that going on late is something Axl does. But things like the Hetfield-burning incidence, and what happened tonight? That's as far from being "rock n roll" or "worlds most dangerous band" as you can be. Guns should have let their performance on the stage do their talking for them - not sitting down in a failed protest.

To be fair there is literally 0 evidence that the band coming on late was Axl's fault...which is why he usually gets the victim treatment here, because anything that goes wrong involving GnR is always 100% pinned on Axl by all of the press even when it isn't him at all, see Sturgis

Just my opinion

First Night: Guns N' Roses, Reading Festival

(Rated 2/ 5 )

Axl flounders as Reading made to wait for its rock fix

Reviewed by Nick Hasted

Saturday, 28 August 2010

The boos must echo through Axl Rose's dressing room.

An hour after he and the shattered substitutes for his band, Guns N' Roses, are due onstage, he still refuses to walk out to play to his public. When he does, with the title track for the album Chinese Democracy, which it took him 18 ludicrous years to finish, the boos barely relent. The Reading Festival's proud British rock crowd treat this exhausted, insulting star with contempt.

At the end of the first night of what may end as a legendary Reading Festival, the car crash that was expected of Rose duly piled into a wall.

His scraped-smooth, red-raw skin makes Mickey Rourke's look normal. His cheap silver jacket looks like one you might pick up outside a Las Vegas gig by a Guns N' Roses tribute act, who would play with more commitment. His voice loosely recalls Cartman, South Park's eight-year-old anarchist, when whining about his homework.

The early part of the set includes cult tracks from Guns N'Roses' debut album, Appetite for Destruction, from which fans stagger away in shame. The Replacements' bassist Tommy Stinson has been dragooned into what might mercifully be Axl's last stand. He can do nothing for the sad, slack stumble this band has become. Even "Welcome to the Jungle" is dribbled out with no meaning. Fireworks flare to fool the rubes, Axl sputters, and lets his career die. Only the bell-boy still owed money at whatever Royal Berkshire hotel he's staying after this nightmarish one-night stand might wish him well, for one night only.

For "Sweet Child O' Mine", he changes into a red check shirt that would go down well in a country bar on a slow Monday. He tinkles away at a keyboard – as if he's an artist – but never says sorry when he falls far short. The contempt of this tinny, redundant show by a blissfully ignorant ex-star is mutual long before the end.

Last year's Reading was the dullest in memory. But there's far more potential this year for the chaos, anarchy and inspiration rock'n'roll always promises. Guns N' Roses suggest you be careful what you wish for. But Pete Doherty's reformed The Libertines, due tomorrow, along with the highly anticipated return of exuberant critics' favourites Arcade Fire, promise explosive behaviour. As does a defiant reconnection with Reading's headbanging, hard-rock spirit, from Queens of the Stone Age on Friday to Blink 182 at the weekend's close.

The increasingly middle-class and mature nature of newer festivals such as Latitude and Cornbury has never been Reading's way. The rock festival as teenage rite of passage and test of endurance always comes into its own as tents start to sink out of sight, and cleanliness is left behind for the weekend, along with mum and dad.

The unlikely sight of the baking, cracked moonscape of Glastonbury this June – where festival-goers more used to taking precautions for trenchfoot suffered blistered skin from the endless sun – was suddenly a fond memory, when Reading in its early hours looked set to be a swamp. The sun and cloud of a typical late summer evening, and the unimpressively ankle-high spatters on the boots of those jostling to see Friday's first big names, Lostprophets and Biffy Clyro, meant a real, blackly liquid mudbath would, in fact, be averted. Many were disappointed at that. But the contempt for Axl confirmed that there was a real rock festival waiting to take place.